PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pat's HOF: Drew Bledsoe memories

Status
Not open for further replies.
From a usenet thread I started on April 24th, 2002 titled "Drew's best games as a Patriot" right after he was traded. The thread can be found here.

I get a kick out of the Brady vs. Bledsoe "discussion" that ensued.

---start---

In memory of a guy who gave us great memories for several years, I wanted to start a list of Drew's greatest games as a Patriot. Hopefully, years from now the list won't be longer for the Bills.

1. Minnesota 1994. Aside from the record-setting stats and a great comeback, this win came on the heels of a 4-game skid. This win catapulted the team from 3-6 to 10-6.

2. Indy 1999. Down 21-0 and 28-7, Bledsoe leads the comeback for a 31-28 win.

3. @Miami 1994. Sure they lost 39-35, but if you could ever point to a game where Drew seemed to be the only one to show up, this was the game. Classic shootout with Dan Marino in which the lead went back and forth. Ben Coates fumbling after a long completion sealed their fate, or else the Pats may have pulled this one out.

4. Miami 1998. The winning drive: Not one, but two fourth-down conversion tosses to Shawn Jefferson, followed by the TD to Jefferson with a blitzer in his face...all with a freshly-broken finger on his throwing hand. Maybe Drew's best game-winning drive in his career.

5. @Giants 1996. After a horrible first half and down 22-0, Drew leads the comeback for a 23-22 win to clinch the #2 seed in the playoffs. The highlights were the 3rd-down catch by Troy Brown while laying on his back on the winning drive and the 4th-and-8 TD toss to Coates for the win.

6. Buffalo 1998. For the second week in a row, Drew's final drive led the team to victory. A crucial, albeit controversal, 4th down conversion to Shawn Jefferson set up the game-winning sequence: Toss to Glenn in the endzone with no time left - PASS INTERFERENCE - Pats get one play from the 1 yard line - Bledsoe to Coates TD!

7. @Jacksonville 1997. Against a team that was undefeated at home and a Superbowl favorite at the time, Drew led the team the length of the field right before halftime, culminating in a TD to Coates that effectively put the game away. Excellent performance in a big game setting.

8. @Buffalo 1994. Drew led the way to a 41-17 pasting of the defending 4-time AFC champion Bills, sparing them (and anyone who watches them) another painful Bills postseason. Drew appeared to convert every single 3rd down that day.

9. @Pittsburgh 1998. This one stands out for me because I watched it at a bar with way too many Steelers fans. I've never seen a crowd silenced faster than when Drew, with a blitz in his face, broken finger and all, tossed an 89 yard TD bomb to Glenn. Might be the best "Take that!" play of his career in enemy territory.

10. Buffalo 1994. On the heels of the 39-35 loss at Miami, the Pats opened the season 0-2 with a 38-35 loss to the Bills, but as was the case the week before, Drew seemed like the only guy to show up. He was a one-man show.

11. @KC 1999. Here's a game where a great final 5 minutes by Drew was undone by a shanked kick. Down 9 with 5 minutes to go and having played like crap all game, Bledsoe executes a sharp drive and gets the needed TD. The defense then holds KC and forces a punt. Drew then drives the field and puts the Pats in position to win with a 32 yard FG. Vinatieri hits the upright. If the kick is one foot to the right, chalk up another great Bledsoe comeback on his resume.

12. Green Bay 1994. Down 14-10 late, Green Bay scores a TD to take a late lead, but misses the extra point. Drew responds by driving the team down the field for the game-winning FG.

Because the competition was weak, I've deliberately left out some otherwise noteworthy games (e.g. San Diego and @Indy to open the 1997 season - otherwise known as "8 TDs to 8 different receivers") I've also left out games that I didn't see myself (e.g. Indy 1993, Miami 1993, Miami 1996, @San Diego 1996, @Baltimore 1996, @Denver 2000). I'm sure I've missed some that deserve mention. Feel free to add to the list and comment on the games I listed.

--- end ---

Regards,
Chris

From a usenet thread I started on April 24th, 2002 titled "Drew's best games as a Patriot" right after he was traded. The thread can be found here.

I get a kick out of the Brady vs. Bledsoe "discussion" that ensued.

---start---

In memory of a guy who gave us great memories for several years, I wanted to start a list of Drew's greatest games as a Patriot. Hopefully, years from now the list won't be longer for the Bills.

1. Minnesota 1994. Aside from the record-setting stats and a great comeback, this win came on the heels of a 4-game skid. This win catapulted the team from 3-6 to 10-6.

2. Indy 1999. Down 21-0 and 28-7, Bledsoe leads the comeback for a 31-28 win.

3. @Miami 1994. Sure they lost 39-35, but if you could ever point to a game where Drew seemed to be the only one to show up, this was the game. Classic shootout with Dan Marino in which the lead went back and forth. Ben Coates fumbling after a long completion sealed their fate, or else the Pats may have pulled this one out.

4. Miami 1998. The winning drive: Not one, but two fourth-down conversion tosses to Shawn Jefferson, followed by the TD to Jefferson with a blitzer in his face...all with a freshly-broken finger on his throwing hand. Maybe Drew's best game-winning drive in his career.

5. @Giants 1996. After a horrible first half and down 22-0, Drew leads the comeback for a 23-22 win to clinch the #2 seed in the playoffs. The highlights were the 3rd-down catch by Troy Brown while laying on his back on the winning drive and the 4th-and-8 TD toss to Coates for the win.

6. Buffalo 1998. For the second week in a row, Drew's final drive led the team to victory. A crucial, albeit controversal, 4th down conversion to Shawn Jefferson set up the game-winning sequence: Toss to Glenn in the endzone with no time left - PASS INTERFERENCE - Pats get one play from the 1 yard line - Bledsoe to Coates TD!

7. @Jacksonville 1997. Against a team that was undefeated at home and a Superbowl favorite at the time, Drew led the team the length of the field right before halftime, culminating in a TD to Coates that effectively put the game away. Excellent performance in a big game setting.

8. @Buffalo 1994. Drew led the way to a 41-17 pasting of the defending 4-time AFC champion Bills, sparing them (and anyone who watches them) another painful Bills postseason. Drew appeared to convert every single 3rd down that day.

9. @Pittsburgh 1998. This one stands out for me because I watched it at a bar with way too many Steelers fans. I've never seen a crowd silenced faster than when Drew, with a blitz in his face, broken finger and all, tossed an 89 yard TD bomb to Glenn. Might be the best "Take that!" play of his career in enemy territory.

10. Buffalo 1994. On the heels of the 39-35 loss at Miami, the Pats opened the season 0-2 with a 38-35 loss to the Bills, but as was the case the week before, Drew seemed like the only guy to show up. He was a one-man show.

11. @KC 1999. Here's a game where a great final 5 minutes by Drew was undone by a shanked kick. Down 9 with 5 minutes to go and having played like crap all game, Bledsoe executes a sharp drive and gets the needed TD. The defense then holds KC and forces a punt. Drew then drives the field and puts the Pats in position to win with a 32 yard FG. Vinatieri hits the upright. If the kick is one foot to the right, chalk up another great Bledsoe comeback on his resume.

12. Green Bay 1994. Down 14-10 late, Green Bay scores a TD to take a late lead, but misses the extra point. Drew responds by driving the team down the field for the game-winning FG.

Because the competition was weak, I've deliberately left out some otherwise noteworthy games (e.g. San Diego and @Indy to open the 1997 season - otherwise known as "8 TDs to 8 different receivers") I've also left out games that I didn't see myself (e.g. Indy 1993, Miami 1993, Miami 1996, @San Diego 1996, @Baltimore 1996, @Denver 2000). I'm sure I've missed some that deserve mention. Feel free to add to the list and comment on the games I listed.

--- end ---

Regards,
Chris

Thanks for all the hard work on that post. Good stuff!

My three favorite moments of Drew Bledsoe

1993- Pats started off 1-11, they won three in a row, but then came Miami, if Miami wins they are in the playoffs... Bledsoe throws 4 td's including a OT to Michael Timpson...The Drew era was upon us.. plus the pats ended up staying in Mass....

1994- Minn - does not get any better

1996- My fav Drew Bledsoe game, throws a td pass to Ben Coates with Megget pushing Coates into the endzone.. Pats come back from 22-0 nothing down to go 11-5 and get the bye...

Non fave Drew Bledsoe moments

1997 the ultimate drew blunder , or could be a tickle me pete blunder... 2 min to drew tried to throw a screen gets picked off by levon kirkland, the pats were up 21-13, they end up losin 24-21 in ot to Kordell stewart and the stillers...

1997- playoffs vs pitt, got hit by mike vrabel.. fumbled the ball blows a chance to host the afc title game...

1996 super bowl- 4 int vs packers.. felt drew didnot have a good game.. threw some bad balls that kept the packers alive and gave them hope...

Drew also was a victim of bad coaching from tickle me pete, and ernie zampezze...

Yeah, I never felt as if Zampese got the memo that Drew wasn't Aikman. He was a nice guy, a good quarterback and someone who really helped make the Patriots a national name. I remember as a kid in the 80s/early 90s, I couldn't find Patriots stuff in the catalogs. There was the post Super Bowl XX stuff but that was it.

Do you have any evidence that he didn't?

Other than he continued to do the same dumb things every year, no. The
definition of an insane man is one that always does the same thing and
expects the result to be different.

Do you ever think about why Belichick dumped him for a rookie, even after
he got healthy? If he was as good as the Drewpees think he was, that
wouldn't have happened.

Drew was a good QB, but not a great one.

This board has an insane amount of Drew Bledsoe tribute threads considering what a flawed football player he was. That in and of itself is very strange but if you add in the fact that we currently have possibly the GOAT QB currently on the team makes this behavior all the more bizarre. Where are the Ben Coates' tribute threads, the Willie McGinest and Ty Law tribute threads, how about a Stanley Morgan or Mike Haynes tribute thread. I even think we may be overdue for a Grogan thread. How about mixing it up a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes