PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats Go for Another All-Time NFL Win Streak in 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriotic

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
The Pats have not lost back to back games in 49 straight contests going back to December, 2002. The NFL record is 60 games (the 49ers from 1995-99). If successful, the record breaker would be the Lions game on 12-3. On paper, the toughest stretch appears to be weeks 3, 4 and 5 with the Broncos, Bengals and Dolphins.

While it may not be as sexy as the Pats all time consecutive win streak (18 in regular season, 21 including playoffs), not losing back to back games over the span of four seasons would be an incredible feat for our beloved team and another verification of the Dynasty label.

Last edited:
One of the reasons for no back-to-back losses in over 3 years is Vinatieri. Knowing that you can play-call for a game-winning FG, instead of a game-winning TD, is an immeasurable advantage. A couple of questions still nag me. Did the FO know of AV's "I'm outta here" attitude? If they did, could they not franchise him, again? I feel sorry for the Memphis Ghost; he is in the ultimate No-Win Situation.

captain stone said:
One of the reasons for no back-to-back losses in over 3 years is Vinatieri.
One of the reasons for no back-to-back losses in over three years is Belichick.

One of the reasons for no back-to-back losses in over three years is Brady.

One of the reasons for no back-to-back losses in over three years is Brown.

One of the reasons for no back-to-back losses in over three years is Seymour.

One of the reasons for no back-to-back losses in over three years is Givens.

One of the reasons for no back-to-back losses in over three years is Vrabel.

One of the reasons for no back-to-back losses in over three years is, oh cripes don't make me go on.

Hell, one of the reasons for no back-to-back losses in over three years is McDaniels.

One of the reasons for no back-to-back losses in over three years is the dude that gets Brady his smoked almonds before every game and Troy & Rodney their fresh pickle juice.

One of the reasons for no back-to-back losses in over three years is, really, somebody please take over for me here.... I gotta get to bed and this could take hours.

Just goes to show how resilient this team has become - just think of the bad losses this team has suffered and how they've bounced back strong the next week. What I think is more impressive is that they usually have to do it in a 2nd consecutive road game (a la Carolina/Pittsburgh in '05). They haven't lost back-to-back road games since early 2002 and are 4-0 since when going on the road after a road loss.

EDIT: Just thinking back, all 4 of those teams went on to win playoff games ('03 Eagles, '04 Jets, '05 Steelers, even the 8-8 Rams of '04).

Last edited:
captain stone said:
One of the reasons for no back-to-back losses in over 3 years is Vinatieri. Knowing that you can play-call for a game-winning FG, instead of a game-winning TD, is an immeasurable advantage. A couple of questions still nag me. Did the FO know of AV's "I'm outta here" attitude? If they did, could they not franchise him, again? I feel sorry for the Memphis Ghost; he is in the ultimate No-Win Situation.
You play for the gamewinning FG whether you have an 85% kicker like Vinatieri or an 80% kicker like the below average ones in the NFL, and ultimately there is very little differnece.
I just cannot get over this feeling that because Vinatieri is considered clutch any other K is now being considered an automatic miss. Bad kickers make 80% of their kicks.
I just dont see all these other teams out there who would have beaten us if they had Adam Vinaitieri. Can anyone think of a game we won that we would have lost if the other kicker made a makable FG that was missed?

One of the reasons for no back-to-back losses in over three years is, really, somebody please take over for me here.... I gotta get to bed and this could take hours

One of the reasons for no back-to-back losses in three years is Scott Pioli.

One of the reasons for no back-to-back losses in three years is Dante Scharnecchia

One of the reasons for no back-to-back losses in three years is Matt Light.

One of the reasons for no back-to-back losses in three years is Pepper Johnson.

One of the reasons for no back-to-back losses in three years is Harold Nash.

Anybody else want to pick it up....

AndyJohnson said:
You play for the gamewinning FG whether you have an 85% kicker like Vinatieri or an 80% kicker like the below average ones in the NFL, and ultimately there is very little differnece.
I just cannot get over this feeling that because Vinatieri is considered clutch any other K is now being considered an automatic miss. Bad kickers make 80% of their kicks.
I just dont see all these other teams out there who would have beaten us if they had Adam Vinaitieri. Can anyone think of a game we won that we would have lost if the other kicker made a makable FG that was missed?

The only one that comes close and it was for the tie not the win was the vanderjerk miss in 04.

But please for the sake of humanity, let's not rehash the AV thing. We are only a week away from camp.

Willie55 said:

One of the reasons for no back-to-back losses in three years is Scott Pioli.

One of the reasons for no back-to-back losses in three years is Dante Scharnecchia

One of the reasons for no back-to-back losses in three years is Matt Light.

One of the reasons for no back-to-back losses in three years is Pepper Johnson.

One of the reasons for no back-to-back losses in three years is Harold Nash.

Anybody else want to pick it up....

One of the reasons for no back-to-back lossess in three years is Robert Kraft.

One of the reasons for no back-to-back lossess in three years is Jonathan Kraft.

One of the reasons for no back-to-back lossess in three years is Ernie Adams.

One of the reasons for no back-to-back lossess in three years is Mike Woicik

One of the reasons for no back-to-back lossess in three years is Ivan Fears

One of the reasons for no back-to-back lossess in three years is Brian Daboll

One of the reasons for no back-to-back lossess in three years is Nick Caserio

One of the reasons for no back-to-back lossess in three years is Matt Patricia

One of the reasons for no back-to-back lossess in three years is Deion Branch.

One of the reasons for no back-to-back lossess in three years is Tedy Bruschi.

One of the reasons for no back-to-back lossess in three years is Asante Samuel.

One of the reasons for no back-to-back lossess in three years is Rodney Harrison.

One of the reasons for no back-to-back lossess in three years is Ty Warren.

Last edited:
One of the reasons for no back-to-back losses in 2003 is (pick one): NY Jets, Miami, Jacksonville, Tennessee, Dallas, NY Giants, Houston, Indy, Philly, Cleveland and Denver.

One of the reasons for no back-to-back losses in 2004 is (pick one): NY Jets, Miami, Buffalo, Baltimore, Cincy, Seattle, Indy, Cleveland, Arizona, St. Louis and Kansas City.

One of the reasons for no back-to-back losses in 2005 is (pick one): NY Jets, Miami, Buffalo, Oakland, New Orleans, Tampa Bay, Atlanta and Pittsburgh

captain stone said:
One of the reasons for no back-to-back losses in over 3 years is Vinatieri. Knowing that you can play-call for a game-winning FG, instead of a game-winning TD, is an immeasurable advantage.
You think he is the only kicker in the NFL who ever won a games by kicking a FG?

You know something? Other teams, teams without Vinatieri, also play for a game-winning FG. The concept that without Vinatieir you must now score a TD when down by 2 with time running out is pretty moronic. It's not rocket science. You try for a TD. If not, you get the ball as close as you can, you manage the clock, you bring in your kicker.

Since Vinatieri arrived here ten years ago, lost of other NFL teams have won lots of games, inlcuding against the Pats in post season.

I love Vinatieri. I loved Jon Smith and Tony Franklin, too. But they aren't here any more. Players come and players go.

Do you know the reason PK is one of the lowest paid positions in the NFL?

Last edited:
AndyJohnson said:

YES!

the OT win in MIAMI in 2003 would not have been won had it not been for Olindo Mare's not one, but two missed field goal attempts late in the game. One field goal got blocked at the end of regulation, while the flat out missed a field goal in OT that would have sealed the deal for the Phins. Sure enough, Troy Brown would go on to score the game winning TD on an 82 yard bomb.

......and we have seen it time and time again when other teams lose because their field goal kicker misses one (or two) in the closing moments of the game.

think about Matt Bryant kicking for the giants against the Seahawks during the regular season

think about Doug Brien kicking for the Jets against the Steelers in the divisional round a few years ago

think about Mike Vanderjagt kicking for the Colts against the Steelers last year in the divisional round

Good catch I wasn't aware of that.

AndyJohnson said:

Olinda Mire in Miami in 2003
im not worried about the games other teams kickers missed makable kicks. im worried about games we would have lost had Adam not made the non-chip shot kicks
2001 Oakland playoff
2001 SB 36
2002 final game vs Miami
etc etc

brdmaverick said:
YES!

the OT win in MIAMI in 2003 would not have been won had it not been for Olindo Mare's not one, but two missed field goal attempts late in the game. One field goal got blocked at the end of regulation, while the flat out missed a field goal in OT that would have sealed the deal for the Phins. Sure enough, Troy Brown would go on to score the game winning TD on an 82 yard bomb.

Bleh. The thought of that game just puts my stomach in knots. Way too many times we have either choked it, or been screwed by officiating against New England. That game was one of the worst, but at the end of 2003 we were up 11 points in the last 4 minutes and totally blew that lead to eventually lose in OT. I do remember they flagged Jamar Fletcher a 40 some yard pass intereference call which was a complete phantom call. I've never been more mad over a football game. And the most recent, the first meeting of 2005 when the Fins had the game in hand almost the whole way, only too lose it at the end. So many oppurtunities in that game, hopefully we've seen the end of this bad trend.

Aqua4Ever04 said:
Bleh. The thought of that game just puts my stomach in knots. Way too many times we have either choked it, or been screwed by officiating against New England. That game was one of the worst, but at the end of 2003 we were up 11 points in the last 4 minutes and totally blew that lead to eventually lose in OT. I do remember they flagged Jamar Fletcher a 40 some yard pass intereference call which was a complete phantom call. I've never been more mad over a football game. And the most recent, the first meeting of 2005 when the Fins had the game in hand almost the whole way, only too lose it at the end. So many oppurtunities in that game, hopefully we've seen the end of this bad trend.

You havent seen the end of the trend yet, but keep hope alive. :rocker: :D Oh and speaking of phantom calls, this have nothing to do with the phins...but the PI call on Asante in the Denver game STILL pisses me off!!

Last edited:
Aqua4Ever04 said:

OR when the refs screwed with the coin toss in the favor of the Phins...

OR when Chambers stepped out on the sideline catch late in the game and was called in-play...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents