PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats engaged in talks for Javon walker

Status
Not open for further replies.
AzPatsFan said:
JSP,

Then he went out and got somebody elses slowly developing #1 WR candidate, who has been on the usual and typical 3-year development cycle only to have it interrupted by injury. He paid #2 WR dollars for this Reche Caldwell, a former mid second roound pick and expected to be a WR1 that high.

If Caldwell doesn't produce as he should, then all he is, is a talented WR1 underperformer, in a WR2 assignment. That's OK.

To put this in the correct context, the Patriots are paying Caldwell #4 receiver money, not #2 receiver money. Caldwell is not making $3mm a year. He's making $900K. That is nowhere near the ballpark of free agent #2 receiver money.

Givens was offered around $4mm to come back as the #2 receiver.

In the Pats system right now, Caldwell can compete for the #2 spot but he is certainly not designated as the #2.

spacecrime said:
I wouldn't want to repeat those Millen/mcPherson years either, but I don't know why you wouldn't want a repeat of 2001?

Obviously I am not saying I don't want the Pats to win the SB. But I wouldn't care to have that same receiving corps. Just because we got by with it one year doesn't mean we should try that route again. Branch is a solid 1, Caldwell is what a 2 or a 3? Brown is a solid 4 or 5, Bethel has done zip and Bam Childress is well, Bam Childress. Look I am one of the biggest Kool aid drinkers on here but right now I don't get excited about this receiving corps.

spacecrime said:
What he is looking for? He has made it pretty clear hasn't he? More money. He held out last year for more money, and nothing has changed that I can see.

He wants more money.

I know everytime some disgruntled player is available, people (not you) say, "Corey Dillon."

But Dillon wanted out becasue he was tired of losing. Walker just wanted to re-do his contract.

Anyway, he just doesn't seem like a BB player to me, but neither did Bethel Johnson, so what do I know?

Currently he's being paid slightly more than Branch. Both are looking for an extension as far as I know (granted Branch has been quiet). GB is currently letting him shop himself as trade bait. Why don't we listen? Where is the harm?

spacecrime said:
What he is looking for? He has made it pretty clear hasn't he? More money. He held out last year for more money, and nothing has changed that I can see.

He wants more money.

I know everytime some disgruntled player is available, people (not you) say, "Corey Dillon."

But Dillon wanted out becasue he was tired of losing. Walker just wanted to re-do his contract.

Anyway, he just doesn't seem like a BB player to me, but neither did Bethel Johnson, so what do I know?

Did Seymour seem like a BB player to you when he held out of camp last season? He had some knee problems but nothing like the ACL that knocked Walker out in 1 game, so he got his this year before he had to stage a broader holdout or demand a trade, while Walker is still waiting. He did go to the Pro Bowl in 2004. But apparently money isn't the over-riding issue - he doesn't want to stay in GB regardless. Unlike in Seymour's case Walker's QB called him out for his TC holdout. When he came back without any incentive like Seymour got and blew his ACL in game one I don't think Lord Favre apologized for shaming him back into camp without a long term deal. The same QB who just finished holding the entire franchise hostage over his impending (but not soon enough) retirement. So Walker has issues with GB that go beyond mere $$$. He can't stand the riverboat gambler or the fact that he basically runs the team. Michael Smith said today he is beyond uncomfortable on that team and he'd likely go gladly on his old deal to a team where he had a chance to reclaim his 2004 form. What better place then on a team with a QB like Brady. His agent is one Belioli have dealt well with. Helped them sell the value of playing for a champion to his other clients. Why would you not make a play for a legit #1 when his stock is down? Doesn't that represent value?

If they don't get him it probably won't be over his money, it will be over GB's trade price. They are going to trade him to the highest bidder. Denver has more trade ammo than we do and was clearly poised to take a WR as early as the first round.

SamBamsFan said:
Currently he's being paid slightly more than Branch. Both are looking for an extension as far as I know (granted Branch has been quiet). GB is currently letting him shop himself as trade bait. Why don't we listen? Where is the harm?
Please don't compare Branch to Walker.

Branch is honoring his contract. He is not holding out, demanding to be traded, as Walker did last year and this. His contract is up after this year and he would like a new deal. If not, he will be a free agent.

Walker is not asking for an extension. He is saying he doesn't want to play under his contract becuase he is worth more than he signed for.

Anyway, I never said we shouldn't listen.I was answering someone who said we should find out what Walker is looking for. The answer is money.

As far as listening to him to see if a deal can be reached, I thing first you want to see if you want the guy on your team, and then see if if a deal can be reached.

Let's see, will the Patriots be a better team if he is added to the mix. What do we gain, what do we lose?

We gain a WR. We lose a draft pick. We get a guy who will hold out after he has signed a contract and demand to be traded.

Not sure the on-field talent is worth it. Just my take.

What will it cost? We lose a first round pick (GB's price) or maybe a second if we can talk them down. For that we get Walker'sservices for one year, unless we come to an agreement with him for a new deal. How much will that cost? Hint: He is holding out now for more money.

No harm in listening, as you say.

Ijust can't imagine anything coming of it, and I think that is a good thing.

I must be the only person that doesn't really see WR as being that big a need for us...... Don't get me wrong, we need to draft one pretty good WR and I think we'll see 2 taken overall. But this hue and cry for signing someone is a bit hysterical and missplaced IMHO..... Let's see how things look AFTER the draft.

I don't know - Belioli must see it as a need or they wouldn't be talking to the Packers and the Broncos less than 48 hours before the draft. BB tried to sign a FA #1 last off season and failed. With both Branch and Givens on the roster. He then signed every WR reclamation project he could find, and none of them amounted to a hill of beans. He watched Deion Branch unsuccessfully try to deal with double and triple teaming when Givens was out. He knows he needs WR's. Hopefully he knows where they will come from - we can only guess which is what we keep doing - and they won't all come from the recyclable bin again. Nor will they come from this particular draft.

We do have two fine TE's to offset our WR shortage but they tend to be too busy (or they get hurt) blocking to get out running routes consistently. Hopefully he has a plan to free them up as well. And open up holes to re-establish the running game. And replace a 100+ points PK. He just hasn't revealed his plans to us as usual... but it doesn't mean he doesn't have any. ;)

AzPatsFan said:
JSP,

I'm glad that you have seen the light. BB is no fool; he has a budget for WRs within the cap and within the context of allocations among the various squads.

I agree BB is no fool.

Even though most Patsfans didn't think WR was a priority in 2005 either, last year BB felt that a team that had Branch, Givens and a handful of question marks needed an upgrade at WR.

He made a strong play for (and nearly signed) Derrick Mason - arguably the best FA WR out there with 96 catches in 2004.

This year, the team has Branch - and no Givens - and a handful of question marks.

So if BB thought WR was enough of a priority last year to try to sign the best #1 WR on the market, why does everyone now think that the loss of Givens is somehow an upgrade, and that BB no longer would want to add another proven WR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft