PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots WR Aaron Dobson Sidelined Following Scuffle

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
By: Ian Logue

Patriots wide receiver Aaron Dobson found himself getting punished along with Eagles cornerback Cary Williams following a scuffle Tuesday between the two....

Dobson should have known better, but Cary Williams really is showing that he has issues with keeping his emotions under control. First there was the grabbing and slapping of Edelman's face mask last year during the regular season, then Williams shoved a ref in the Super Bowl and wasn't at all penalized or fined for it (despite it being an ejection according to the rulebook), and now this.

slap-fest.gif

k-bigpic.gif

A very improbable series of events are taking place in front of our eyes. Belichick beleived he had completed the 4 year rebuilding of his Defense, having teh luxury of adding good players and depth everywhere.

The Patriots and Belichick determined to finally rebuild the WR corps after years of annual patches, is going gangbusters, completely unexpectedly.

Belichick's rebuilding approach is the same as ever. He signs a complete new squad of moderate production NFL veterans at the position. Then he adds a complete crew of rookies and unproven youngsters and collegiate UDFAs. It has worked wherever he has concentrated on doing so, and believe it or not, it is working at a position where newcomers usually need 3 years of experience before breaking through.

Bu this WR crew is different, and are being treated unlike rookies and newcomers. Most highly sought WRs are Divas and not infrequently almost illiterate, and full of themselves. This Draft had those typical star WR players as well.

Corderelle and Justin were these type of ignoramuses. D'Arick Rogers was a typical thug, already tossed from a team and suspended for drugs. BB would have none of these. He selected Aaron Dobson a relative Boy Scout, team captain and very bright. Another pick was Josh Bryce another Boy Scout type, but very, very bright. Both seem to be picking up the complex Pats passing game. Another mystery find is a typical UT transfer, but despite a history as a thug, gangsta, dope dealer, and general loser, he found God in 2008 and has been totally a model citizen since then. He is older, graduated from college, maybe the reason why he too is picking up the Offense, with little appparent problem. Another unexpected find is a receiving TE, who was talented but undrafted because he was healthy only one year in six, that he spent in college, and hence judged injury prone.

BB arranged to almost force Tom Brady to spend time throwing to the newcomers to the team or League, discarding almost all the old patch veterans, who were known and comfortable.

The rebuilding of the last area on the Offense needing rebuilding, after only one scrimmage with the Eagles, is assured.

By: Ian Logue

Patriots wide receiver Aaron Dobson found himself getting punished along with Eagles cornerback Cary Williams following a scuffle Tuesday between the two....

Nice read :thumb:.

Although it is disappointing to see Dobson lose time on the practice field, I'm actually pleased to see this type of competitive nature out of him. He was highly regarded as quiet in pre and post draft reports, so it good to see he has an aggressive competitive side to him as well :clap2:.

I know he was in Chicago, but that looked a lot like Slappy Rodriguez going after Bronson Arroyo.

Dobson will now still get two opportunities to practice against the Eagles.

Patriots, Eagles add third joint practice | Jeff Howe, Boston Herald

So nice, they'll do it thrice.

The Patriots and Eagles clearly had a productive practice today, and the session was apparently so well-done that Bill Belichick and Chip Kelly decided to add an extra one. The Pats and Eagles, who were already scheduled to conduct a second joint practice tomorrow, will also practice Thursday afternoon before Friday’s preseason opener. (All practices are closed to the public.)

“I don’t see how any player, rookie or veteran, could not benefit from a practice like this,” Belichick said before today’s session. “I don’t see how any coach could not benefit from it. I just think it’s a great opportunity for all of us, so hopefully we can take advantage and make the most of it.”

Edit to Add: Pats-Eagles added Thursday practice. Chip Kelly said that it will be mostly kicking work and maybe some 7-on-7s.

Last edited:
A very improbable series of events are taking place in front of our eyes. Belichick beleived he had completed the 4 year rebuilding of his Defense, having teh luxury of adding good players and depth everywhere.

The Patriots and Belichick determined to finally rebuild the WR corps after years of annual patches, is going gangbusters, completely unexpectedly.

Belichick's rebuilding approach is the same as ever. He signs a complete new squad of moderate production NFL veterans at the position. Then he adds a complete crew of rookies and unproven youngsters and collegiate UDFAs. It has worked wherever he has concentrated on doing so, and believe it or not, it is working at a position where newcomers usually need 3 years of experience before breaking through.

Bu this WR crew is different, and are being treated unlike rookies and newcomers. Most highly sought WRs are Divas and not infrequently almost illiterate, and full of themselves. This Draft had those typical star WR players as well.

Corderelle and Justin were these type of ignoramuses. D'Arick Rogers was a typical thug, already tossed from a team and suspended for drugs. BB would have none of these. He selected Aaron Dobson a relative Boy Scout, team captain and very bright. Another pick was Josh Bryce another Boy Scout type, but very, very bright. Both seem to be picking up the complex Pats passing game. Another mystery find is a typical UT transfer, but despite a history as a thug, gangsta, dope dealer, and general loser, he found God in 2008 and has been totally a model citizen since then. He is older, graduated from college, maybe the reason why he too is picking up the Offense, with little appparent problem. Another unexpected find is a receiving TE, who was talented but undrafted because he was healthy only one year in six, that he spent in college, and hence judged injury prone.

BB arranged to almost force Tom Brady to spend time throwing to the newcomers to the team or League, discarding almost all the old patch veterans, who were known and comfortable.

The rebuilding of the last area on the Offense needing rebuilding, after only one scrimmage with the Eagles, is assured.

So far, it hasn't worked at defensive tackle or safety.

Dobson should have known better, but Cary Williams really is showing that he has issues with keeping his emotions under control. First there was the grabbing and slapping of Edelman's face mask last year during the regular season, then Williams shoved a ref in the Super Bowl and wasn't at all penalized or fined for it (despite it being an ejection according to the rulebook), and now this.

slap-fest.gif

I still love that Edelman had the presence of mind to stand there and let him keep swinging, especially considering it happened right in the front of the official. Takes a lot of self control to not retaliate under those circumstances.

Last edited:
This is a non-issue imo. Rookie Dobson had a blocking assignment against a hot headed vet and stood his ground.

I still love that Edelman had the presence of mind to stand there and let him keep swinging, especially considering it happened right in the front of the official. Takes a lot of self control to not retaliate under those circumstances.

Ian wasn't that in a replacement ref game? Did Edelman end up getting called for something despite his self control? Or am I thinking of something different.

Ian wasn't that in a replacement ref game? Did Edelman end up getting called for something despite his self control? Or am I thinking of something different.

I think you're right - for some reason, I think they got offsetting penalties. Honestly not sure, though.

Ian's point still stands, though - that should have been about the easiest call in the book for the refs.

I think you're right - for some reason, I think they got offsetting penalties. Honestly not sure, though.

Ian's point still stands, though - that should have been about the easiest call in the book for the refs.

Oh I know; that game was a **** show, to have BB grab a ref you have to imagine it was even worse than we were able to see on TV or in the stadiums.

I don't think there was any call on that play involving Edelman and Williams. That's the "competence" of those replacement refs.

That was a replacement ref game. Nothing was called on that play, but Edelman was called for offensive pass interference, wiping out a nice gain. To say that was a ticky-tack call is being generous.

there wasn't a call on that play, you're right.

and then later on in the season he punched a ref in the face...no call

and Roger Goodell approved the trademarking of "Harbaugh Bowl" in February of 2012

and ESPN and NFLN bombarded the air waves with constant "Ray Ray Is Retiring Tour" garbage all season, seemingly 24/7...

let's face it, it was just the Ravens year...right..:nooo:

This is how you fight as a WR, Dobson! I want to see some fire!

z0e.gif

ps. if you put those two in a ring, Finnegan would have not walked out alive. AJ is a beast. lol at clapping his hands once the refs broke him away. what a punk.

I believe you may be referring to the Ravens' game last September. Near the end of the first quarter, the Pats were driving in Baltimore territory. On 3rd down and long, Brady completed a pass about 20 yards to Edelman bringing the ball to around the 10 yd. line. There was some minor pushing prior to the completion between Edelman and the DB and Edelman was called for OPI, effectively ending the drive. Very questionable call.

I don't think its a self control thing so much as the little guy instigator in the same mold as brad marchand and Andrew shaw.........especially since they're clad in equipment, what can the opponent actually accomplish in terms of harm? it makes others look stupid

This is how you fight as a WR, Dobson! I want to see some fire!

z0e.gif

ps. if you put those two in a ring, Finnegan would have not walked out alive. AJ is a beast. lol at clapping his hands once the refs broke him away. what a punk.

I have a soft spot for ol' Cortland. The kind of intensity that he shows is exactly the kind of intensity I like in my CB's and safeties (so long as they aren't over-intense and continuously draw 15 yard penalty flags, like Williams is destined to do for the Eagles).

First there was the grabbing and slapping of Edelman's face mask last year...

slap-fest.gif

The last thing I am is a bad-@$$, but if I was out there instead of Edelman, and that spastic little twerp tried to poke me in the eye, I would've broken his skull open for'm.

Believe me.

And I hope that ~ afterwards ~ somebody slapped the crap out'f Edelman a second time, for wearing our Uniform and just taking it like a *****.

What a disgrace.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back