PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Wide Receiver Production through 7 weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.

NG Pats Fan

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
brady did miss four games and while our tight ends and running backs have taken quite a bit of production away from our receivers,
The stats for our wide receivers through 7 weeks is a bit surprising.

No doubt this is a highly successful diverse offense(the best in the league), but new Englands wide receivers are on pace for the worst production since 2006.

Here are the numbers

Julian Edelman 37 rec 321 yards 0 TD
Chris Hogan 15 rec 300 yards 1 TD
Danny Amendola 13 rec 160 yards 2 TD
Malcolm Mitchell 6 rec 82 yards 0 TD

Only 3 td through 7 games to wide receivers. None of our WRs are on pace for more than 800 yards. Even during the Gronk/Hernandez 2 te set years , Welker still put up monster numbers and Brandon Lloyd put up good numbers too.

Thoughts on all four of our WRs through 7 weeks?

Last edited:
4 of the 7 games were played without the GOAT. Edelman has also been playing hurt.

The offense has been pretty great since Brady has returned.

Though don't let anyone stop you from finding things to constantly worry about.

4 of the 7 games were played without the GOAT. Edelman has also been playing hurt.

The offense has been pretty great since Brady has returned.

Though don't let anyone stop you from finding things to constantly worry about.

Wide Receiver is my favorite position, I like talking about wide receivers.

Uhhh . . . not sure why it's a big deal. We primarily run the offense through the TEs and the RBs. Now, if we were losing, or even struggling on offense, then maybe it's a worthwhile discussion. Otherwise, it's just a factoid that's not particularly useful or compelling.

Cool story, bro.

ray-jackson-bloodsport.jpg

Wide Receiver is my favorite position, I like talking about wide receivers.

Of all the WRs on the roster, and given the full context of injury, personnel, etc..., which have significantly underperformed?

brady did miss four games and while our tight ends and running backs have taken quite a bit of production away from our receivers,
The stats for our wide receivers through 7 weeks is a bit surprising.

No doubt this is a highly successful diverse offense(the best in the league), but new Englands wide receivers are on pace for the worst production since 2006.

Here are the numbers

Julian Edelman 37 rec 321 yards 0 TD
Chris Hogan 15 rec 300 yards 1 TD
Danny Amendola 13 rec 160 yards 2 TD
Malcolm Mitchell 6 rec 82 yards 0 TD

Only 3 td through 7 games to wide receivers. None of our WRs are on pace for more than 800 yards. Even during the Gronk/Hernandez 2 te set years , Welker still put up monster numbers and Brandon Lloyd put up good numbers too.

Thoughts on all four of our WRs through 7 weeks?

I don't think this is a big deal.

Keep in mind we are almost at the 1/2 way point of the season and while I don't think it'll continue, the Pats have run the ball more than they have thrown it.

Plus Brissett threw it for 400 yards over 2 1/2 games. Brady almost doubles that.

Over the course of a year, they typically they throw it 150-200 times more than they run it. 56/44 ot around there.

Last edited:
Of all the WRs on the roster, and given the full context of injury, personnel, etc..., which have significantly underperformed?

I would have expected more production from Amendola Edelman Mitchell. Edelmans production could be explained by injuries, but I am surprised he hasn't found the end zone yet.

I would have expected more production from Amendola Edelman Mitchell. Edelmans production could be explained by injuries, but I am surprised he hasn't found the end zone yet.

Amendola has been the 3rd WR this season behind Edelman and Hogan. His decreased production was to be expected.

As far as Edelman not finding the end zone, that's not surprising either - not only because he's been hurt, but because Gronk, Bennett, and Blount have been monsters in the red zone through the first 7 games.

YKpkFfs.jpg

if you only include the last 3 games for the patriots with brady (vs. season numbers for everyone else), the patriots are 2nd with 334 ypg passing and 1st in overall yardage at 440 ypg.

4 games without the GOAT, 2 incredible TE and Blount averaging 20 carries a game will impact the WR production. Don't care so long as they make plays when called upon.

Context includes:
  • 1/3 of the games or so the QB was an injured rookie.
  • Rushing production has been surprisingly strong.
  • TE production has been elite.

Yeah but how many wins do we have? I don't care about stats, I care about wins. Ugly or not, a win is a win.

Don't dodge the question with such blatantly obvious attempts. Here it is again:

You say that you like to talk WRs. That's great. Start with a baseline where you acknowledge that none of the WRs is significantly below where you'd expect, given the totality of the circumstances (a/k/a context).

Also, given that Edelman's not a TD magnet (1/0/0/3/6/4/7), is coming off of his foot injury, and is now in a situation where there's another apex predator in the red zone food chain (Bennett), his not having gotten into the end zone is certainly not something to shock the world.

I love this offense. It's built to make it through a long season and the playoffs. Deep at every skill position and extremely versatile. They may not score as many points as the 2007 team but this one could be harder to defend through out the playoffs.

Don't dodge the question with such blatantly obvious attempts. Here it is again:

You say that you like to talk WRs. That's great. Start with a baseline where you acknowledge that none of the WRs is significantly below where you'd expect, given the totality of the circumstances (a/k/a context).

Also, given that Edelman's not a TD magnet (1/0/0/3/6/4/7), is coming off of his foot injury, and is now in a situation where there's another apex predator in the red zone food chain (Bennett), his not having gotten into the end zone is certainly not something to shock the world.

I've already laid a base. Back in 2010-2012 when our tight ends were just as good as now, our WRs we're still able to put up monster numbers in this offense. I am wondering why the production at WR has dropped?

I do believe Malcolm Mitchell, Danny Amendola, and Julian Edelman have lower stat totals than what I would have expected after 7 weeks.

When Brissett was in there, we ran alot more and passing production was way down. We now have two TE's that are prime receivers instead of 1. That limits passes thrown to WRs. We are also more committed to the run game this season. In summary, we still run roughly the same amount of offensive plays that we usually do but the distribution of those plays have changed. More plays are going to the TEs and RBs.

Typically the top 5 targets would be 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 RB. Now the top 5 targets are 2 WR, 2 TE, 1 RB.

I've already laid a base. Back in 2010-2012 when our tight ends were just as good as now, our WRs we're still able to put up monster numbers in this offense. I am wondering why the production at WR has dropped?

No, you're not. You're trolling.

I do believe Malcolm Mitchell, Danny Amendola, and Julian Edelman have lower stat totals than what I would have expected after 7 weeks.

1. You couldn't have expected anything out of Mitchell, as he was injured to start the year, is a rookie, and is way down on the receiving chain.
  2. You couldn't have known what to expect from Hogan, but he is the WR2.
  3. You couldn't have expected significantly higher numbers from Amendola, when he'd clearly fallen to #6 on the pass catching list even before the season began.
  4. So that leaves Edelman, who is coming off both the foot surgery and a minor setback. And, Edelman's on a 96 reception pace since Brady returned.

So, other than possible disappointment in Hogan's numbers, which are probably somewhere between 0-10 catches below where they might reasonably have been expected to be, there's really been nothing to be surprised about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST