PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Wide Receiver Production through 7 weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've already laid a base. Back in 2010-2012 when our tight ends were just as good as now, our WRs we're still able to put up monster numbers in this offense. I am wondering why the production at WR has dropped?

I do believe Malcolm Mitchell, Danny Amendola, and Julian Edelman have lower stat totals than what I would have expected after 7 weeks.

Check out the difference is with Brady's attempts from 2010 and 2011.

You'll find the 2016 projections for TB12 and the receivers strikingly similar to 2010 numbers.

You will have your answer.

2010 New England Patriots Statistics & Players | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Plus consider the Pats D in 10-12 wasn't the stout unit it is now - - which is in the top 5 points allowed. So the O in those past years had to do more to win games.

Plus consider the Pats D in 10-12 wasn't the stout unit it is now - - which is in the top 5 points allowed. So the O in those past years had to do more to win games.

Good Point

The Patriots also weren't running college-level offenses, and starting their 3rd string QB during the regular season, in 2010-2012.

Thank you! that explains a lot Robert

Glad to help. I just think they are throwing less and running more- even with Tom but it's early

Glad to help. I just think they are throwing less and running more- even with Tom but it's early

I'm starting to become a big believe in Blount. He is the ultimate grinder! I have full confidence in him now

We've had Gronk for a while, and honestly Bennet isn't getting THAT many balls

i think our use of the RBs are receivers is the biggest diff here, we use them a lot this season, which is a good thing b/c were doing very well w/ them, and its something lots on here harped about in the past

to a smaller lvl its the edelman is getting older/is hurt, amendola isn't seeing the field much, Mitchell is a rookie, and Hogan doesn't seem to get open short/intermediate...we need to start upgrading WR next year w/ a concerted effort

We've had Gronk for a while, and honestly Bennet isn't getting THAT many balls

i think our use of the RBs are receivers is the biggest diff here, we use them a lot this season, which is a good thing b/c were doing very well w/ them, and its something lots on here harped about in the past

to a smaller lvl its the edelman is getting older/is hurt, amendola isn't seeing the field much, Mitchell is a rookie, and Hogan doesn't seem to get open short/intermediate...we need to start upgrading WR next year w/ a concerted effort

Receptions:

Edelman (injury maintenance) - 37
Bennett (injury maintenance) - 27
White - 27
Gronk (injury, injury maintenance)- 17
Hogan (Buffalo stink removal in progress)- 15
Amendola - 13
Mitchell (injury maintenance) - 6

This team has, essentially, been going with a 2010-2012 read list, modified by having the RB taking a bigger role. Again, since Brady's return, Edelman is on a 96 reception pace.

Edelman is my boy and got a ton of targets this past week given the Pitt D game plan. That said, I don't care if he scores a single TD as long as Blount keeps racking them up in the Red Zone. If this team can consistently run the ball when it gets cold then good luck stopping them.

for edelman i think you have to look at yards as well, i think that is down this season whereareas receptions w/ brady back are still high

he isn't getting away from the first guy and isn't breaking as many tackles as usual

brady did miss four games and while our tight ends and running backs have taken quite a bit of production away from our receivers,
The stats for our wide receivers through 7 weeks is a bit surprising.

No doubt this is a highly successful diverse offense(the best in the league), but new Englands wide receivers are on pace for the worst production since 2006.

Here are the numbers

Julian Edelman 37 rec 321 yards 0 TD
Chris Hogan 15 rec 300 yards 1 TD
Danny Amendola 13 rec 160 yards 2 TD
Malcolm Mitchell 6 rec 82 yards 0 TD

Only 3 td through 7 games to wide receivers. None of our WRs are on pace for more than 800 yards. Even during the Gronk/Hernandez 2 te set years , Welker still put up monster numbers and Brandon Lloyd put up good numbers too.

Thoughts on all four of our WRs through 7 weeks?
Thoughts are that they played 2 1/2 games with a high school offense and hardly ever threw the ball past the line of scrimmage other than prayers down the sideline in an effort to minimize chance of interception...

I love this offense. It's built to make it through a long season and the playoffs. Deep at every skill position and extremely versatile. They may not score as many points as the 2007 team but this one could be harder to defend through out the playoffs.

Deep, I don't think so. 4 WR, 2 TE, and 1 reliable receiving back. We need to hope that player health is exactly like 2014 to have any chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft