PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots type 3-4 OLB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a 3-4 OLB

He's a bit small but he's very smart/productive and offers the versatility to play multiple LB positions which we all know is coveted by B.B. & Co. Line him up on the same side as Cameron Heyward and there's gonna be a lot of problems keeping them out of the backfield....

He's a bit small but he's very smart/productive and offers the versatility to play multiple LB positions which we all know is coveted by B.B. & Co. Line him up on the same side as Cameron Heyward and there's gonna be a lot of problems keeping them out of the backfield....

He's a 3-4 ILB, and the Pats are pretty well stocked there. He's not a 3-4 OLB, and having experience at 4-3 OLB means nothing in that regard.

I also like Bruce Miller from Central Florida as a 3-4 OLB.

Draftinsider
- Several teams feel the same about Iowa’s Karl Klug, but for different reasons. The intense defensive lineman ran in the 4.7’s at 275 pounds during today’s pro-day. Rather than put him on the defensive line, where he played in college, a number of squads around the league project Klug as a Mike Vrabel type of defender in the NFL.
:D

I believe it's been just over a year since I had him as a LOLB target for the Pats. I'm glad all the pro scouts are catching on :lol2:

Kerrigan Purdeue 6'4" 260 (1st round grade)
Houston UGA 6'3" 260 (1st round grade)
Smith Mizzu 6'4" 260 (1st round grade)
Ayers UCLA 6'4" 255 (2nd round grade)
Beal Oklahoma 6'4" 265 (2nd round grade)
Sheard Pittsburgh 6'3" 260 (2nd round grade)
Acho Texas 6'3" 260 (3rd round grade)
Wright Miss State 6'3" 250 (3rd round grade)
Keiser Stanford 6'5" 244 (3rd round grade) [2nd round if he gets his weight up to 250 plus]
Allen Nebraska 6'4" 265 (4th round grade)
Romeus Putsburgh 6'5" 270 (4th round grade)
Mathews SC 6'4" 265 (5th round grade)
Elmore Arizona 6'5" 250 (5th round grade)
White Florida State 6'4" 260 (6th round grade)
Chinasa Oklahome State 6'5" 255 (6th round grade)
Winterswyck 6'4" 260 (6th round grade)
Bair Oregon 6'5" 270 (7th round grade)
Jones TExas 6'3" 260 (7th round grade)
Marshall South Florida 6'4" 265 (UDFA)
Lockett Ole Miss 6'5" 260 (UDFA)
Parr Virginia 6'6" 270 (UDFA)
Reed Arizona 6'4" 260 (UDFA)
Albright BC 6'5" 250 (UDFA)

Very nice work on the list and thread. I would have to respectfully disagree on Greg Romeus though, at least in the OLB aspect. You have him listed at 270, but I believe he was mentioned in a recent article as being around 280 now, which would take him out of the OLB race altogether. I believe he'd be a great RDE here though, and would love it if we took a shot on him. Actually, the only 'gamble' is if he'd play this year, and to what extent. I believe that he would be a great addition for yrs to come no matter what, and have been wanting him to fill Seymour's spot for a while now. I doubt we'd take him though, especially if we already take another high pick DE earlier, as I am expecting and hoping that we do. I guess you never know though, especially with this team on the clock.

He's a 3-4 ILB, and the Pats are pretty well stocked there. He's not a 3-4 OLB, and having experience at 4-3 OLB means nothing in that regard.

You are correct that Foster is more of a 3-4 ILB. However, you shouldn't discount the fact that he played all three 4-3 LB positions. It shows versatility and the ability to line up at different spots and be effective.

Ayers is probably the most athletic OLB/DE player in this draft. And he probably has the most upside of any OLB/DE player in this draft.

As a pass rusher he has one move, speed up the field, if that is taken away, he is toast.

In coverage he projects as the best OLB in this draft.

Against the run he lacks size and can't set a hard edge to save his life.

No, he is not a pass rusher. It was said he is a good fit for a Team that wants a steady OLB not a pass rusher with edge speed to the QB. Where is Brooks Reed on this list?
DW Toys

I still think that martez wilson is the one considering his positional flexibility......he has played DE,OLB, and ILB and projects as a 3-4 OLB, but has the versatility to play any 3-4 LB position. what makes him most attractive is his experience in coverage, something none of the other late 1st round through the 2nd round prospects have....he has the frame to put on another 10 lbs or so.

I still think that martez wilson is the one considering his positional flexibility......he has played DE,OLB, and ILB and projects as a 3-4 OLB, but has the versatility to play any 3-4 LB position. what makes him most attractive is his experience in coverage, something none of the other late 1st round through the 2nd round prospects have....he has the frame to put on another 10 lbs or so.

I agree that he has the versatility to be a disappointment in any scheme.

Very nice work on the list and thread. I would have to respectfully disagree on Greg Romeus though, at least in the OLB aspect. You have him listed at 270, but I believe he was mentioned in a recent article as being around 280 now, which would take him out of the OLB race altogether.
264 at the combine.

How about a late-round flyer: Marc Schiechl from the mighty Colorado School of Mines.

He's the all-time DII sack leader and ranks 4th all-time in TFL. Was a top wrestler in high school, came to football relatively late which is how he ended up at CSM. At his pro day he reportedly looked good in LB drills and showed the measurables for the position:

6'2 1/4" 252 33.5"(arms) 4.65/1.66 38 35" 10'5" 4.50 7.18

For a physical comparison, those numbers are a close match for Koa Misi.

How about a late-round flyer: Marc Schiechl from the mighty Colorado School of Mines.

He's the all-time DII sack leader and ranks 4th all-time in TFL. Was a top wrestler in high school, came to football relatively late which is how he ended up at CSM. At his pro day he reportedly looked good in LB drills and showed the measurables for the position:

6'2 1/4" 252 33.5"(arms) 4.65/1.66 38 35" 10'5" 4.50 7.18

For a physical comparison, those numbers are a close match for Koa Misi.

sorry....only one CSM guy acan be touted per year.....

introducing ..... the next mike ruth

Blaine Sumner, DT, Colorado Mines

I can't believe this bowling ball ran a 5.18

Last edited:
I agree that he has the versatility to be a disappointment in any scheme.

zing.gif

Harsh, but I'm with you. Wilson's #1 failing is football instincts/awareness, and that's a fatal flaw for an LB of any stripe. It's telling that Illini fans tend to cringe at his name.

sorry....only one CSM guy acan be touted per year.....

:) Well, we've skipped the past decade so maybe we get a spare this year. Here they are in all their glory, my OLB on the left and your bench-pressing bowling ball on the right:

PROday1web.jpg

zing.gif

Harsh, but I'm with you. Wilson's #1 failing is football instincts/awareness, and that's a fatal flaw for an LB of any stripe. It's telling that Illini fans tend to cringe at his name.

a convenient excuse for all those DE's who are slated to be 3-4 OLBS in the NFL........none of them have ever had the need to prove much instinct or awareness...what were jermaine cunningham's proof of awareness prior to draft day?

wilson's instinctual and awareness issues may not bode well as an ILB at the next level, but the same issue does not exist on the outside

heh......OK bob

go draft a 'good guy' who can't cover to save his life

All I'm saying is that you can look at his measureables and think this guy's potentially the answer and offers great versatility. Or, you could have had the "pleasure" of watching him play, and come to the conclusion that he's not going to be more that a Special Teams player in this league. I'm in that latter category. Watching maybe a half-dozen games over the past two years, not once did he play to his athletic gifts.

It's OK to disagree.

a convenient excuse for all those DE's who are slated to be 3-4 OLBS in the NFL........none of them have ever had the need to prove much instinct or awareness...what were jermaine cunningham's proof of awareness prior to draft day?

Weren't we talking about Martez Wilson? :confused: He was a linebacker at Illinois, not a DE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back