Patriots Training Camp Primer – Defensive Ends

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Patriots Training Camp Primer – Defensive Ends

Steve Balestrieri

The Patriots DE position in 2015 should be much deeper, versatile and productive. Jones and Ninkovich will have more of a rotation to keep them fresh.

Continue reading...

According to Mike Reiss Moore is up to 290 and could work his way into the middle and get some rotational reps.

They must see something in this kid to keep him on the roster as a 6th Rd. pick out of tiny Div. II Concordia-St. Paul for all of last year. This dude could be that Edelman/Stephen Neal/David Givens/Matt Cassel type find we've been looking for.

I think he surprises this year. Thoughts?

According to Mike Reiss Moore is up to 290 and could work his way into the middle and get some rotational reps.

They must see something in this kid to keep him on the roster as a 6th Rd. pick out of tiny Div. II Concordia-St. Paul for all of last year. This dude could be that Edelman/Stephen Neal/David Givens/Matt Cassel type find we've been looking for.

If I'm not mistaken he recovered a fumble or a onside kick last season playing special teams so I think BB already gave him some small reps, I'm optimistic.

Moore seems like what a lot of us have been begging for at the DT position for years. Long arms and athletic to clog passing lanes and disrupt the passer. Siliga, Easley, Moore and Malcom Brown are an exciting rotation at DT if they all develop. If Easley and Moore take big Year-2 steps, Brown contributes a little and Siliga stays healthy that will be one of the most exciting young DT rotations in the NFL.

I think that Reiss has it right. Moore has bulked up and will compete for a DT roster spot and for DT reps. As is the case with DT Easley, being able to play outside in some sets is a plus.

BOTTOM LINE
1) We have similar situation to last year, with Sheard being an upgrade of Ayers. I am NOT minimizing this. Sheard could be a major contributor. The way I view it, Sheard's major contribution will be to allow more balance and variety in the DE reps.
2) Flowers and Grissom may or may not contribute anything this season, especially if the three top DE's are healthy. IMHO, that it is a perfectly fine situation.
3) Moore should no longer be listed as a DE. He is NOT making the 53 as our #6 defensive end. Belichick considered the DE position (including Moore) and decided to use TWO top draft picks on DE's.

Moore seems like what a lot of us have been begging for at the DT position for years. Long arms and athletic to clog passing lanes and disrupt the passer. Siliga, Easley, Moore and Malcom Brown are an exciting rotation at DT if they all develop. If Easley and Moore take big Year-2 steps, Brown contributes a little and Siliga stays healthy that will be one of the most exciting young DT rotations in the NFL.
I think that Reiss has it right. Moore has bulked up and will compete for a DT roster spot and for DT reps. As is the case with DT Easley, being able to play outside in some sets is a plus.

BOTTOM LINE
1) We have similar situation to last year, with Sheard being an upgrade of Ayers. I am NOT minimizing this. Sheard could be a major contributor. The way I view it, Sheard's major contribution will be to allow more balance and variety in the DE reps.
2) Flowers and Grissom may or may not contribute anything this season, especially if the three top DE's are healthy. IMHO, that it is a perfectly fine situation.
3) Moore should no longer be listed as a DE. He is NOT making the 53 as our #6 defensive end. Belichick considered the DE position (including Moore) and decided to use TWO top draft picks on DE's.
I like what I'm seeing in the defensive trenches. It's never going to be that 3-4 Wifork/Warren/Seymour combo again but mixing it up with all the young 'tweeners we will keep defenses guessing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft