PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Trade Hooman to the Saints for Akiem Hicks

Status
Not open for further replies.
How did he look last night? I was on a plane during the game.

He was mentioned, but when the other team rushes for 15 yds total, run defense wasn't an issue. Probably enjoyed watching most of the game.

New Orleans Saints winning Michael Hoomanawanui-Akiem Hicks trade: Larry Holder

A Saints reporter thinks they won the trade -- Hooman is getting a lot of snaps and playing well, while the Saints DL is playing better in Hicks' absence.

If that's how they want to look at it, that's fine, but BB and MP are constantly rotating the DL. So it's kind of a flawed argument.

I personally feel Hicks has been a solid addition to the group. So from reading that article, sounds like both teams came out better with the trade.

We like the Saints around here, right?

Nothing wrong if both sides think it was a good trade. It will encourage trades later and it seems (given our long standing record and current season record) that if we get better...that's huge (pun accidental, but I'm keeping it).

1. I think the addition of Hicks has made our dline alot stronger. I dont see as many long runs when our line is fresh and we are getting more pressure on the qb....a big difference compared to last year....IMO

Hicks for Hoo looks like a no Brainer to me.
Payton must of been liquored up.

Hicks for Hoo looks like a no Brainer to me.
Payton must of been liquored up.

The Saints got a guy who's freed up Ben Watson to help more in the passing game, and they got him for a guy who was riding the pine because of disappointing performance.

The Patriots got a depth fatty, for a guy who was riding the pine because the team had chosen to go bigger.

It's early but, so far, the trade has been good for both teams, and it's been even more beneficial to the Saints than to the Patriots.

I think Hicks had made more of a impact than people think.

from a Saints fan perspective:

I won't say "we won the trade" because that is stupid, and I won't say he is a steal or has been amazing because that would be an exaggeration.

He is a pretty good player though and has freed up Watson from some of his blocking responsiblities and gives you the option to take Watson off the field for a breather. Payton offenses typically use a lot of multiple TE sets, and we thought early on that TE would be a strength of the team, but Josh Hill hasn't really developed as hoped. So Hoo basically lets us play multiple TE's without having to put inferior players on the field so often.

From a team-building frame of mind, I think at least some of this trade was Payton looking at his mentor Parcells. Trading a popular member of the team to wake them up. The defensive line has suddenly started playing very well (Cam Jordan is currently PFF #1 rated edge defender over guys like Houston and Watt, if you can believe that) and it freed up some playing time for young guys like Bobby Richardson, Kasim Edebali and Tyeler Davison who have all played very well with increased roles. If it was a shake up move, winning 4 out of 5 and suddenly getting back to .500 after an 0-3 start speaks volumes.

Without really knowing how Hicks has done for you guys I do think this is one of those trades that makes a lot of sense for both teams. One man's trash being another man's treasure, that sort of thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3