PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Trade Hooman to the Saints for Akiem Hicks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a trade that sure looks like a win-win deal for both teams. Hooman had 5 receptions, 31 yards and a TD last week, which is not bad. Meanwhile, Hicks in a run stuffing monster on the inside, a space eater that looks pretty active. Something we sure can use.

It always seemed like Hooman had good hands. He generally would make the catches when thrown to him, and occasionally made some surprisingly acrobatic catches. It's entirely possible he just had no chance to develop that here due to the presence of Gronk, Edelman, Vereen/Lewis, and others who work his area of the field better. I'm glad he's finding a good role there though, as he was a solid pro for us.

I think this trade is a win-win for both teams.

Hicks looked real good against the Jets.

I think this trade is a win-win for both teams.

Hicks looked real good against the Jets.

.....and he showed up vs the Colts too.

If he continues to immerse himself in all things Patriots, he will just get better. Long term can't wait till he has a full offseason w/ the org.

I think it was a freaking steal.

I still don't see how the Saints didn't hold out for some extra juice from the Pats in this deal. A young DL with upside for a 27 year old TE whose career high in receptions is 13? Just a 7th round pick or a swap of their 7th for our 6th to make this look a little better for the Saints.

I still don't see how the Saints didn't hold out for some extra juice from the Pats in this deal. A young DL with upside for a 27 year old TE whose career high in receptions is 13? Just a 7th round pick or a swap of their 7th for our 6th to make this look a little better for the Saints.
Maybe Payton was so excited by the potential of the three TE sets that he couldn't bring himself to squeeze the extra vig. Or maybe he was blinded by that potential and saw the trade as even.

I missed sundays game so i look fprward to seeing what hicks can do today

Hicks will turn out to be one of the better trades in the BB era a couple years down the road. Right now he's merely a talent who needs to find his role on THIS year's team. Right now I look to see his snaps go up some, but none of the DT's are going to get more than 50% of the snaps in any game for the near future.

If he continues to immerse himself in all things Patriots, he will just get better. Long term can't wait till he has a full offseason w/ the org.

Do we get an off-season with him?

I thought he was an unrestricted FA after this season.

Do we get an off-season with him?

I thought he was an unrestricted FA after this season.
No! I thought he was under contract to 2016 but just looked it up and he is a UFA after this year. d%#*!@t.

I missed Sunday's game, so I look forward to seeing what Hicks can do today.

I hope he doesn't whiff, again, on a potential QB sack like he did vs Fitz during the Jesters' 2nd or 3rd drive of the game.

Hes so big i spot him right away, don't need to look for a number. He looks good so far, good trade.

No! I thought he was under contract to 2016 but just looked it up and he is a UFA after this year. d%#*!@t.
I'm hoping they extend his contract, maybe make him an offer towards the end of the season. About the time he realizes he's getting some playoff checks.

I do too, or worth a try, even if a problem. Hoo is a nice nonathletic backup with good hands. Not bad if you're missing that piece, but,,,he was going to get cut anyway. .

Might also be true of hicks, but he's got more potential, plays a more important position is more athletic and physical.

We're beasting at TE this year and DT is a #1 pick position we're trying to fill with castoffs. If Branch and Hicks are getting motivated, we could have a top rotation instead of an experimental smaller line. Mix and match with Easlety and Brown...I'm dreaming big dreams.

That isn't ideal, however, it does mean this is his year to play as good as he possibly can to secure a new contract with as much juice in it as possible. This may mean we will get one of the best if not the best year of his career here and right now. Not bad for the cost of a third string TE (I liked Hoo though) and little more than a bag of shells in cap money (relatively speaking :)).

Given the last several years of Talib, Ayers, and this year Hicks, one has to friggin love BB and how he is adding production to a team that might not otherwise be able to afford it. Let's hope it keeps up....

This is why they extended Branch, even though he was lackadaical. We weren't going to have a top pick, especially whem the ******* scumbag gangster criminal running the league is stealing them Finding misfit toys who are huge and athletic and signing them to reasonable contracts, combined with maybe getting lucky on Malcom Brown and overdrafting a two knee injured penetrator, hoping he would be dynamic again, could end up giving us a big line rotation as if we had some upprer first rounders.

This is why BB is a genius. Chipping away constantly at positions he doesn't have the picks or money to make a splash, but getting the result.

This is why they extended Branch, even though he was lackadaical. We weren't going to have a top pick, especially whem the ******* scumbag gangster criminal running the league is stealing them Finding misfit toys who are huge and athletic and signing them to reasonable contracts, combined with maybe getting lucky on Malcom Brown and overdrafting a two knee injured penetrator, hoping he would be dynamic again, could end up giving us a big line rotation as if we had some upprer first rounders.

This is why BB is a genius. Chipping away constantly at positions he doesn't have the picks or money to make a splash, but getting the result.

Dead spot on Ray calling it "chipping away". That's exactly what it is and appears how BB's philosophy throughout football applies. No matter how good you are in X and Y and Z there is always room for improvement that you must strive to chip away at (actually BB believes improvement is required even when you are the best there is).
When one considers how the Patriots can be so competitive so regularly, one need only look at BB's incredible ability to make most players strive/chip away at being better (better includes playing satisfactory on a consistent basis).

They may have held out for more and didnt get anything

Dead spot on Ray calling it "chipping away". That's exactly what it is and appears how BB's philosophy throughout football applies. No matter how good you are in X and Y and Z there is always room for improvement that you must strive to chip away at (actually BB believes improvement is required even when you are the best there is).
When one considers how the Patriots can be so competitive so regularly, one need only look at BB's incredible ability to make most players strive/chip away at being better (better includes playing satisfactory on a consistent basis).

Yep. If you aren't improving somewhere, you're getting worse. Age, injuries and stagnation are constant drags. There's also the cap.

How did he look last night? I was on a plane during the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST