PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Player Departure Patriots to Release Jalen Mills

He was decent but I wasn't his biggest fan. Plus he was mia every time the Bills destroyed us. I sort of felt like he missed those games on purpose to not be exposed with everyone else. Not there when you need him sort of like Talib.

Next step is to cut Myles Bryant someway somehow. He looks the part but has zero ball skills and doesn't jostle any balls loose. It is Jonathan Wilhite all over again.
It was hard trying not to laugh reading that.. lol that's the honest truth especially about myles Bryant.. we didn't have a number 1 WR last season and therefore couldn't make plays when needed.. we didn't have a number corner and couldn't make plays when crunch time was on..

This sounds like a trend.

@captain stone, a few others and I were in the minority that thought this was a terrible signing. He was awful in Philly where the fans/media didn't like him running his mouth and not being able to back it up on the field. He got torched a ton in the first half of the 2021. He was okay in 2022, but he gave up the Waddle catch that turned into a TD to put the game out of reach week 1. That's just the player he is.

He'll probably come back on a cheaper deal though.

Interesting move. Really thought they would give him a shot at FS. It is what it is to me really. My thoughts:

1) Maybe they have an incoming CB (Sean Murphy Bunting /Marcus Peters/Shaquille Griffin/Rock Ya-Sin)

2) Really would like to get Chauncey G. Johnson at FS.

CB: Jack Jones/FA/Draft Pick
SS: Dugger
FS: CGJ
CB: Jo. Jones
N: M. Jones

Phillips and Peppers just move around everywhere
Don't forget myles ''sucks'' bryant:)

Last edited:
@captain stone, a few others and I were in the minority that thought this was a terrible signing. He was awful in Philly where the fans/media didn't like him running his mouth and not being able to back it up on the field. He got torched a ton in the first half of the 2021. He was okay in 2022, but he gave up the Waddle catch that turned into a TD to put the game out of reach week 1. That's just the player he is.

He'll probably come back on a cheaper deal though.
He ain't coming back here. It's over.

He ain't coming back here. It's over.
Why do you think that? Bill gives some players 9 lives. I won't rule out his return until he signs elsewhere.

Why do you think that? Bill gives some players 9 lives. I won't rule out his return until he signs elsewhere.
My belief is they tried to work out an extension with him and he said no.

Based on that and understanding his price, they cut him.

I think someone will pay him $5m next year.

Well count me in among the surprised to see this happen.

While I wasn't inspired by his CB play in 2021, I thought he made enormous strides at the position in 2022. He played like a legitimate #1 CB....for 10 games last year. He was our one legitimate tall CB. And after McCourty retired, his value only seemed to increase. A real head scratcher. Dropping a competent player at a position of EXTREME need. WHY?????

Maybe its the 'availability' question, but that's weak. Everyone can get a major injury on every play. Maybe its a short term wink wink release in order to free up some space to do something more immediate. This is what I'm hoping for. Of course there is always the chance that JJWilliams has been vaccinated against the showness gene and it took. We always have THAT going for us....I think.

At any rate, as of the moment we are in high desperation mode for big athletic, quick, and speedy CB's And we will need more than ONE.
Who are the ones left available?

Well count me in among the surprised to see this happen.

While I wasn't inspired by his CB play in 2021, I thought he made enormous strides at the position in 2022. He played like a legitimate #1 CB....for 10 games last year. He was our one legitimate tall CB. And after McCourty retired, his value only seemed to increase. A real head scratcher. Dropping a competent player at a position of EXTREME need. WHY?????

Maybe its the 'availability' question, but that's weak. Everyone can get a major injury on every play. Maybe its a short term wink wink release in order to free up some space to do something more immediate. This is what I'm hoping for. Of course there is always the chance that JJWilliams has been vaccinated against the showness gene and it took. We always have THAT going for us....I think.

At any rate, as of the moment we are in high desperation mode for big athletic, quick, and speedy CB's And we will need more than ONE.
Who are the ones left available?

There are several CBs available including:
Marcus Peters
Sean Murphy-Bunting
Shaq Griffin
Eli Apple
Greedy Williams

There are several CBs available including:
Marcus Peters
Sean Murphy-Bunting
Shaq Griffin
Eli Apple
Greedy Williams
I'm not up on my FA CB knowledge, so who has good size and production and might be an upgrade over Mills

cc @BaconGrundleCandy

I'm not up on my FA CB knowledge, so who has good size and production and might be an upgrade over Mills

cc @BaconGrundleCandy
Marcus Peters is 5x former All-Pro. Last few years haven't been kind to him on the injury front. He missed all of 2021 with an injury..
Murphy-Bunting is also someone who has had injury issues the last 2 years.
Shaq Griffin is coming off a back injury.

Greedy Williams and Eli Apple, I wouldn't touch. I just mentioned them because they're available.

cc @BaconGrundleCandy
Sean Murphy-bunting is the surest bet of them all.. due to his age and cover skills.. yes Peter's is great too but as it's been said injury history..

Something is sure to come.. BB knows his secondary cupboard is bare..

Sean Murphy-bunting is the surest bet of them all.. due to his age and cover skills.. yes Peter's is great too but as it's been said injury history..

Something is sure to come.. BB knows his secondary cupboard is bare..
Your absolutely welcome!

Marcus Peters is 5x former All-Pro. Last few years haven't been kind to him on the injury front. He missed all of 2021 with an injury..
Murphy-Bunting is also someone who has had injury issues the last 2 years.
Shaq Griffin is coming off a back injury.

Greedy Williams and Eli Apple, I wouldn't touch. I just mentioned them because they're available.
Agreed

My guess is we draft a 1st round corner, rookie and jack jones start outside, jonathan jones in the slot, and marcus jones moves to free safety. Maybe they bring someone in as a backup too

@Wozzy your thought? (If you haven't already given them.) I believe you really liked Mills.
Huh? Really liked Mills, not really. He’s a decent bigger sized CB, he’s also going to be 29 next season. They think they can get better value from another vet and/or a rookie.

They only had one large CB on the roster last season and Mills got hurt. Football is about matchups. Look at my “position of need” list for 2023, “big” CB was at the top of the list before Mills was cut. You’re reaching…

Bit surprising, I was a fan of Mills (for what he was). They do say this is a deep CB draft though, so even if they still go OT in the first round, there should be someone worth taking at 46 (or with a Barmore style trade up for the right guy). Still, $5m for a veteran corner didn't seem restrictive to me. We'll see where that ends up getting distributed.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back