PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots: The hardest hitting defense in the league?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FredFromDartmouth

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
It started in the Ravens game where the Patriots actually beat up these traditional bullies. Nothing sweeter than that but the wicked hits by the Patriots have continued. No WR is going to want to go over the middle against the Patriots and we will see a lot of dropsies.

I think that once guys get to the point where they are confident in making the tackle and get the system now they are concentrating on destroying the opposing offense.

I am sure everyone saw Mayo clobber AP on the goal line but did you see Cunningham destroy Peterson on the interception. Wow. And a lot of times there was a clog up in the middle and the runners head or body snapped back; usually it was Spikes or Mayo who did it. And Merriwether is still killing guys. Toby Gerhart was also clobbered and I think he had to be helped up after the last hit on him. Even the two CB can hit.

I can just see Bill Polian asking for another rule change because the Patriots are too rough....

Given the Giants' stats in terminating QBs over the past few weeks, 5 in 7 games, they would make a solid argument.

I thought the Mayo hit on Peterson looked like some next level defense. It actually looked like something specific the Pats had been working on.

I saw this: The ball was snapped. The entire Pats line got a good push. The first layer of LBs went into the line, and Mayo stayed back and waited. Then AP leapt in the air. Big Vince got his arm on Peterson in general, on the football specifically. That's where you start to see Peterson start to rotate.

Then, once Peterson has committed to the air, you see Mayo go right up and meet him. It looked like the play was designed to have Peterson go into the air, and have Mayo knock the crap out of him once he left his feet.

I thought it was a really good defensive play. I also thought they didn't get the touchdown.

It would be nice if we had more 3 and outs like those other teams.I still think the steelers because of their all world safety and their LBs.

Mayo's been unreal. I think it's safe to say now, without doubt, the knee was a big factor last year. (And before anyone says "duh," this was quite a debate last year).

We're somewhere in the top 5, but I saw a Pittsburgh Defense that likes to lay a lot of wood too.

The Giants,Ravens and Steelers are FAR ahead of the Pats and any other team in the NFL regarding tough aggressive defenders

Tampa Bay is moving up,I watched a little of that game yesterday against Arizona and they look pretty big and tough minded

I wish our LBs would react faster to the ball at times.Our safeties dont react as well.I do like Chung alot.I like him more then Merriweather.

did you see Cunningham destroy Peterson on the interception. Wow.

Yes, and I had the same reaction. I didnt catch who did it though, thanks. Meriweather made the initial block on AP, then right before McCourty goes out of bounds, as Emril would say, BAM!!!:rocker:
Nice play by both rookies on that one

Mayo's been unreal. I think it's safe to say now, without doubt, the knee was a big factor last year. (And before anyone says "duh," this was quite a debate last year).

Yup. I predicted last year he would be brought back too soon....and he was. The first few games after coming back you could see him practically limping and then he never got back to form. The old nasty turf is to blame.

This is absurd, the Patriots aren't in the top 3 of hardest hitting teams. They are however very fast and sure tacklers which is an awesome improvement from 3 seasons ago.

I agree.Hell even the jets hit harder then us.

This is absurd, the Patriots aren't in the top 3 of hardest hitting teams. They are however very fast and sure tacklers which is an awesome improvement from 3 seasons ago.

Who are the top 3?

I liked the play where Ninkovich blew up Toby Gerhardt when he tried to block him on a blitz pickup.

Who are the top 3?

Steelers & Giants have to be in there. But unlike last season, the Patriots should now be in the discussion for the next tier.

Halfway through the 2001 season, the Pats were barely a .500 team....But there was one trend that our opponents kept subtly saying...that is "they are a very physical team".

I see a lot of similarities in this team.

They might not be the hardest hitting team in the NFL right now, but come December and January, I can see these guys becoming the type of players that will be "laying wood"...on cold bodies when the playoffs will once again go through Foxboro.

Some of the best tackling I've seen in years. There is no missed tackles and no extra yardage allowed.

Halfway through the 2001 season, the Pats were barely a .500 team....But there was one trend that our opponents kept subtly saying...that is "they are a very physical team".

I see a lot of similarities in this team.

:agree:

They may not be the hardest hitting team in the NFL but they do ok for themselves, and they're smart.

They may not be the hardest hitting team but they are staying at a Holiday Inn this weekend in Cleveland...:biggrin2:

:agree:

They may not be the hardest hitting team in the NFL but they do ok for themselves, and they're smart.

And the great thing is.....

Is, you can actually see these guys getting better every game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes