PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots sign former Buc CB Leonard Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ryan was a disaster last year. It's well known that 2nd year players tend to drop in performance for a number of reasons...and then rebound in their 3rd year. I now believe Ryan is in that category. He is having a great year. With Butler, Coleman, Brown along with WilChung...we could have a very strong secondary with McCourty or someone playing high FS. Johnson hasn't played a single game with the Pats. We have ZERO idea if he can comprehend the playbook. I hope he can.

I agree with the second part of this. Not sure what you mean by the first though, considering Tampa cut Revis too.

I think Tampa cut Revis for $$$ reasons, not because Revis was injured. That is what I meant.

Butler, Ryan, Roberts, Coleman and a cheap #5 (Johnson and Melvin as possibilities) should be fine. As a FA, I doubt they bother with Brown unless they like the 4 I listed less than we're guessing.

That's not enough.

That's not enough.
I wonder if they will try and draft/acquire a corner or two who can play specila teams too. Someone who is more of a depth option at corner but can contribute elsewhere . Have Melvin and Coleman done much on special teams

@dougkyed The Patriots signed CB Leonard Johnson to a two-year contract. He has base salaries of $660k (prorated to $165k) this year and $760k in 2016

No, not necessarily. I'd much rather have a 5'10 corner who can play than a 6'2 corner who can't. Logan Ryan's performance on DT last week proved exactly how much that's the case. But not having anyone over 5'11 is a potential match-up issue, as some matchups are best handled with size. That's all I said, whatever else you read into it is something else.

For this reason, I wouldn't mind the team signing Antoine Carson to a future contract for next years 90 man. Tall athletic player who has had a up and down career. Not playing on a team this season because of a foot surgery he had earlier in the year.

Add Roberts and a healed-up Tarell Brown to Ryan and Butler and that's a damn good secondary. Not to mention possibly adding someone like Sean Smith, who'll be a Free Agent.

Scary that this defense can be even better next year, even without our stolen first and forth round pick.

Love Sean smith, don't love the money hell demand.

OMG. I love his energy and he pops! What does that mean? He knows how to get to the ball in the air, he is not just waiting to tackle, he is in position to bat the ball and even if he fails, the way he goes after the ball will bring the receiver down if he catches.

Looks like a good slot CB to me

I feel comfortable with him and Coleman as our inside corners after tonight's performance.

@PFF_NateJahnke
Leonard Johnson in his first game with the Patriots played in 42 of 55 defensive snaps.

Lenny looked good tonight, Y'all.

He showed well a few times tonight. In the interest of full disclosure, I wasnt really watching the 1st half. He looked interested in sticking his nose in the run game, and seems to bring an edge in the attitude department-never a bad thing in my book.

Hopefully he can play as an adequate slot cb, he seemed to fit the part tonight.

I am happy with how he played tonight. If that is the player he is going to be from here on out I am happy with Butler/Ryan/Johnson going into the playoffs.

Last edited:
@dougkyed The Patriots signed CB Leonard Johnson to a two-year contract. He has base salaries of $660k (prorated to $165k) this year and $760k in 2016
Revis is making approximately 24 times as much.

I am happy with how he played tonight. I if that is the player he is going to be from here on out I am happy with Butler/Ryan/Johnson going into the playoffs.
Dont forget about Coleman.

Holy smokes Batman! The first (of several) time he made a great play, we said, "who the heck is that?" Great find!

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes