PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots sign Aussie punter David King

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nathan Hodel-type signing.

I think this means we certainly draft a Punter this year.

Any Aussie Rules fans on the board?

Wikipedia comes up with a 38 year old who was twice All-AFL and retired a few years ago and has worked as a coach since, and a 25 year old who is still on an AFL team. It's probably the former.

Now THIS is the big time free agent signing we've been waiting for! :rocker:

I have followed Aussie Rules for some time. I remember this guy but not that much about him, I'll ask a guy I know who is an afl nut and get back to you.

Has no experience in College or the NFL - learned it in camps in Nevada and Arizona.

I still hope we draft Zoltan Mesko at some point. The guys been on Ray Guy Award watch list the past three season. Plus with a name like Zoltan how could you not draft him??

Last edited:
I just found this old piece about the older guy and the guy that people believe it is.
Remembering David King – North Melbourne player, Richmond assistant coach - Yellow and Black
Thought for this week’s “Remembering” piece that a bit of writing on David King might be in order.

David King, dual premiership player with the Roos, two-time All-Australian and simply a brilliant footballer … someone who opposition clubs’ supporters hated playing against, but who at the same time would have him on their side in the blink of an eye.

Coming from Port Melbourne, his toughness at the ball was legendary, and his hard running and long kicking an integral part of the “Pagan’s Paddock” style of play the Kangaroos favoured.

My enduring memory of him comes from a game early in 2000, when Richmond seemed to have stepped up a notch and were looking to make a statement against the reigning premier.

This game was one of the most hectic, high-scoring and completely mad games I’ve ever attended. There was never more than a goal or two in it through the first three quarters.

Gaspar did his usual blanket job on Wayne Carey, Richo and Ottens were playing well, Rory Hilton and Wayne Campbell were racking up possessions at will – but whenever Richmond got close, it seemed that another North Melbourne player would pop up for a couple of goals.

Peter Bell, Shannon Grant, Brent Harvey, David Calthorpe, Shane Clayton – all kicked multiple goals that night. But most damaging was one D King.

In a best-afield display, King continually pumped the ball forward, but also just smashed his way through the Tiger midfield on the way to 23 touches and 5 goals – each with its own David King style of fist pumping celebration, each a dagger through the heart of a Richmond side trying so hard.

After there being only a goal or two in it at the last change, King and the Kangaroos hopped away with 7 goals to one in the last quarter. Final score – Richmond 20.14 134 to Kangaroos 27.8 170.

I decided then and there I simultaneously hated David King, but wanted him at Richmond.

Ultimately, he arrived at Richmond, but only after hanging up his boots at the end of last season following 241 games between 1994-2004 and 145 goals.

He has, aptly, already started kicking goals in his support role at Richmond, and is making a big impact during the week and on match days.

His knowledge of the Kangaroos’ system, players and plans will be a big boost for the Tigers this week as they try to beat one of their “bogey” sides of the last few years.

Just to add, I firmly believe that anybody coming from Aussie Rules, Rugby or Gaelic football in Ireland really has a good chance at making it as a punter. Its just that they are naturally used to kicking the ball long distances and with height from their hands. Its like second nature to them.

Speaking of Aussies, Pat Richards who plays Rugby League said he's considering punting in the NFL when his current contract at Wigan runs out in just over a years time, he kicked a drop out (a kick like Doug Flutey's :)) over 80 yards in the 2008 World Cup and is brilliant at kick offs.

Just to add, I firmly believe that anybody coming from Aussie Rules, Rugby or Gaelic football in Ireland really has a good chance at making it as a punter. Its just that they are naturally used to kicking the ball long distances and with height from their hands. Its like second nature to them.

Please do not use logic, be optimistic or think that actual fact at patsfans these days.........it appears we have been over run with chicken little, sky is falling patriots suck posters that will now call me a homer for the zillionth time.

Hell, after the fins signed marshall - even some of the homers have started to turn.

Isn't the punter for Dallas a former Aussie player as well?

Isn't he maddenly inconsistent? BB loves inconsistentcy. Ha! Ha!

Isn't the punter for Dallas a former Aussie player as well?

Isn't he maddenly inconsistent? BB loves inconsistentcy. Ha! Ha!

Yep, McBriar, Graham and Rocca are all former Aussie Rules players.

Last edited:
I still hope we draft Zoltan Mesko at some point. The guys been on Ray Guy Award watch list the past three season. Plus with a name like Zoltan how could you not draft him??

Zoltan has a big leg. BB likes his punters more dainty

eagle eye don't mean to reign on your parade but that's not the David King who was the former Richmond assistant coach and North Melbourne champion. That David King could kick the leather off a football and was a tough as nails player. I don't know who the David King is that's shown in the links supplied, but it's not the same one (shown below) who played for North Melbourne and was the Richmond assistant coach..

aaDavidKing_narrowweb__300x413,0.jpg

Last edited:
McBriar is IMO one of the top 3 punters in the nfl, so these aussie rules guys can work out

Yep, McBriar, Graham and Rocca are all former Aussie Rules players.

Also Jy Bond on the Giants and Chris Bryan on the Packers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back