PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Select Malcom Brown DT Texas With 32nd Pick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good points. Wilfork was an exceptional player at his size and weight, especially in 2014 following the Achilles Heel injury. His ability to take on double teams and still get to a rusher or move the pocket was extraordinary. He very well might have been a once-in-a-generation type player. Malcolm Brown looks to me like a guy who can grow into that role as he gets older and can adjust his game to playing a higher weight. We'll see.

Sheard is awfully small for a 3-4 DE at 6-2, 254. Hightower is 6-2, 265. Maybe I'm thinking about DEs in an old-school way, but it just seems like Sheard could do a lot of damage in a Sam role and take on tight ends in rushing or coverage situations. He'll be working with the best linebacker coach in the business with Belichick. I see him having a lot of versatility in this defense, especially with Malcolm Brown coming on board.

However it plays out, the depth and youth up front is impressive. If the Patriots can add one solid cover corner, this defense is going to be excellent.

I don't really care if Sheard is small for a 3-4DE, because we don't play the 3-4 that much, and even when we do it's closer to a 4-3 than it is our old 2-gap 3-4 from some years ago. Most of the time we play 4-2, where Sheard will most likely play end. That's what he is best at. He's along the lines of what a 43 end weights in todays NFL. He isn't a linebacker. He was best as a 43 end in the Browns D, and when they moved to a 34 he mostly rushed any way because he isn't a cover guy.

As I said. I don't think that Brown will move into Wilforks role or weight. I think we will continue to move away from that role and the heavier 2 gap players, as we already have, and focus more on 1 gaping and playing an aggressive defense built on speed. This is a much faster defense than it was just a few years ago, and I love it. I think that we will use a bunch of different defensive formations this year, like the 34, 42, 24, 43 and some others. But I think that they will mostly be one gap defenses. That's what our players do best.

This is also what I love about Belichick. He isn't stuck in old thinkings and stuff like "this is my defense is". We have moved from a slower but heavier/harder to move 3-4 2 gap D to a fast 4-2 1 gap D. That's what makes him great over such a long time. When the league changes he adapts to it.

Last edited:
Eh. Not thrilled with the remaining CBs. This was a very weak year and the first 4 are gone.

Someone better be there.

This current roster of CBs wont cut the mustard.

All our defense has been missing is pressure up the middle. we know it works on TB and if thats the case it will work on QBs who are in their rookie contracts.

Our LB is not full of cover guys, we have run stoppers. Big guys who can tackle.

Let the d line go after the qb, and let the lbers worry about running up the middle.

And in terms of this year a rookie CB will?

Depends on who it is.

Have rookies at other positions came in and played at high levels? Of course. Why not CB.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-...781318/quick-hit-thoughts-around-the-patriots
As I understand it, one of the strongest scenarios the Patriots were considering was a trade back into the early part of the second round, which they would have been most motivated to execute if the deal included a high third-round pick as well.

But when the Patriots ultimately realized a third-rounder wasn't attainable -- the highest round they could get was a fourth-rounder -- they didn't see the value in the trade and ultimately turned in the card with Brown's name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back