Welcome to PatsFans.com

Patriots secondary vs. Bengals: Who do you start?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Deus Irae, Sep 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,093 / 89 / -82

Disable Jersey

Right now, I'm guessing that it'll lineup with

McCourty
    Butler
    Wilhite (nickel)
    Meriweather
    Chung

but I'm wondering if this might not be a week where Sanders getting the start would be a better decision. It's the first game of the year and he's got the experience to help settle things down. That would leave Chung for substitutions and dime defenses.

2. sbpatfan

sbpatfan Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Screw it, they need to start sometime. Throw them into the fire against aging superstar receivers and a washed up Carson Palmer.

3. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,102 / 32 / -51

No Jersey Selected

I'm basing this solely on preseason performances...

LCB: Butler
    RCB: McCourty
    NB: Wheatley, Wilhite
    Safety: Chung, Meriweather

The Bengals SHOULD be attacking us more with their ground game, but I can also see them trying to spread us out going three or four wide at times. That's why I listed both Wheatley and Wilhite. I'm guessing that if they have three receivers, Wheatley will go in before Wilhite. If they go four wide, Wheatley and Wilhite will be in. I really can't see Meriweather playing corner much, if at all.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  4. Sicilian

Sicilian Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +566 / 2 / -3

I go with a 3rd safety:

McCourty and Butler as the outside corners. McCourty on TO (better physical matchup), Butler on Ocho.

Chung and Sanders as the "true" safeties.

Meriweather in there as the 3rd safety, either covering the 3rd WR (who doesn't really scare me), or in big sets covers Gresham. With 3 wide, one of the LBs moves to cover Gresham while Meriweather is essentially playing corner.

Big sets on running downs would see a base 3-4 with Meriweather and either Chung (short yardage) or Sanders (longer yardage) as the safeties. Same corners.

5. PATRIOTSFANINPA

PATRIOTSFANINPA Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

McCourty and Butler will be starting according to Belichick today from what I read from Rappaport on Twitter

6. Schmo

Schmo Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Can't see McCourty and Butler NOT starting. Butler will start for sure, and I can't see Wheatley or Wilhite being a better matchup against T.O. or C.O. than McCourty is.

Talk about trial by fire for these 2 young guys. How'd you like to cover one of those 2 recievers in your first game in the NFL?

7. Sicilian

Sicilian Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +566 / 2 / -3

Luckily I'm sure they've gotten plenty of work against Moss in camp. After him, TO and Ocho probably seem like par for the course :D

8. sbpatfan

sbpatfan Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Like that means much, everyone knows Moss is a dog faker that hates this team.

9. JackBauer

JackBauer Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +709 / 6 / -9

I think the question is, does Jarrad Page play and, if so, in what role?

10. kdels62

kdels62 Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The only reason why McCourty wouldn't start would be because T.O. is a HOF receiver who would be able to take advantage of McCourty's lack of experience.

I'm noticing some people putting Meriwether at 3rd CB in this game. Why is that? He's played Safety his entire career and with the young CBs going up against two veteran receivers Meriwether, your best secondary player, is gonna have to help them out a lot.

11. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,093 / 89 / -82

Disable Jersey

I thought of including him for TE coverage, but I've not heard whether he'll be ready.

12. jmt57

jmt57 Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +555 / 0 / -3

The Pats seemed to use the big nickel, three safety formation a fair amount of the time during training camp. I'll be curious to see if the Pats use that set Sunday, and if so how often.

Probably because of the well known names on offense many think of the Bengals as an offensive powerhouse powered by their passing game, but they're strength is just the opposite, defense and the running game.

The Bengals ranked just 22nd in points scored and 24th in yardage last year; on the other hand their defense ranked 6th and 4th in those categories. On offense they ranked 26th in passing yardage but were 9th in rushing.

I know this is a new season, but all those numbers lead me to think the Bengals' running game should be more of a concern than their passing game. We may see a third safety as much or more than a third corner.

Of course the best way to counteract a team that would prefer to run is to get out to a lead.

13. PlainOldEd

PlainOldEd Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

Am I not merciful?

sorry, couldn't resist....

14. italia44

italia44 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Not gonna happen......you're changing the whole defense.

1.The pats aren't going to flip their cb's for Ocho and T.O.Butler is at RCB and McCourty at LCB

2.Meriweather will play single high safety.In cover 2,it will be meriweather and sanders.

3.No big nickle unless we can stop the run.Cinci is a run first team with Benson at RB.They will run him until we prove that we can stop him.That means "big".....linebackers,not safeties.The big nickle gets you better coverage in the middle against seam routes by Te's.Why would you take out a linebacker,if cinci is running well with Benson?

4.Cinci is what I call a "straight-up team"...the most NFC-like team in the AFC(think GB or NYG).
    Their pre-game plan is just about it,Lewis isn't famous for his in-game adjustments(see playoffs against NYJ).Ergo......don't run around trying exotic things....play them "straight-up".Stop their run...then stop their run.Sacks aren't important against Palmer,just make him throw before he's ready...he will get antsy.This is a good team to play field position against....they seem to lose "heart",when their game plan starts going south.

That's the way I see it.

15. NHPATSFAN11

NHPATSFAN11 On the Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I am going to go out on a limb here and say THE BIG EAST TANDEM throw their testicles over their shoulder and go out and have the game of their lives. Im not saying this will typically be the case, but I think theyll have a lot of fire going into this situation in the season opener. This may be wishful thinking but someone had to say it. OChocinco and TO will have less than ocho cinco yards combined. As for the running game, my optimism can only go so far.

16. NHPATSFAN11

NHPATSFAN11 On the Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I know thats bad spanish but its the retarded spanish that Chad uses.

17. jmt57

Ratings:
    +555 / 0 / -3

Thanks for that breakdown italia44. I didn't stop to think how one more safety meant one less linebacker.

Not to hijack Deus Irae's thread, but what should we expect to see from the linebackers? For one thing I'm guessing we'll see a whole lot less of Gary Guyton than we normally would.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  18. jmt57

Ratings:
    +555 / 0 / -3

I would guess whatever playing time he gets would be primarily, if not exclusively on special teams.

19. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,102 / 32 / -51

No Jersey Selected

On defense, I would guess that if they put him in, it would be in some sort of subpackage with him lining up in the box for run support and pass rushing purposes. The Tank Williams type of role. IMO, the only way he sees time at safety ahead of Sanders is due to injuries.

20. italia44

italia44 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Guyton's going to play...just for the reason that Spikes and Mayo are going to get worn down,if they have to play a lot of downs in the interior.

I'm more worried about Wright and TBC on the right side.I'd like to see Brace at LDE,so we can get Gerard Warren back on the right side,where he is more comfortable.

TBC really worries me against a running team,like Cinci....he just seems to bull-rush with his head down.....foregoing his primary responsibility to set the edge.This could be a killer against a team with a big left side,with screens to Benson and a free release to the TE,Gresham.Tbc is just,not very instinctive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.