Patriots Release of Meriweather Is Somewhat Surprising

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
By: Ian Logue

It's no secret that things haven't exactly been ideal when it comes to Brandon Meriweather, but Saturday's release of the Patriots safety comes as somewhat of a surprise....

By: Ian Logue

It's no secret that things haven't exactly been ideal when it comes to Brandon Meriweather, but Saturday's release of the Patriots safety comes as somewhat of a surprise....

Of course, now we'll all dump all over BM as a bad guy, scumbag, etc...The fact is that he is a talented, undisciplined and immature guy that BB could never mold into who he wanted him to be. My take is that there are plenty of worse guys in the NFL character-wise than Meriweather, some of whom will be on our final 53. I never thought he was the bad apple a lot of people thought he was. I trust BB and support this move, but efforts by our fans to vilify this guy are hypocrtical. Just my opinion.

Of course, now we'll all dump all over BM as a bad guy, scumbag, etc...The fact is that he is a talented, undisciplined and immature guy that BB could never mold into who he wanted him to be. My take is that there are plenty of worse guys in the NFL character-wise than Meriweather, some of whom will be on our final 53. I never thought he was the bad apple a lot of people thought he was. I trust BB and support this move, but efforts by our fans to vilify this guy are hypocrtical. Just my opinion.

I dont think anyone is going to vilify (i learned a new word today) him. The fact of the matter is it was a contract year for Meriweather and the Pats were probably not going to sign him again so why not keep guys like Barrett and Brown who give you close to the same talent, but have more potential then Meriweather did after 5 years? It wasn't a case of Meriweather was 5th on the depth chart, but more about future thinking by BB. It's the Seymour situation all over again on a smaller scale. Sadly they weren't able to trade him even though it seems like they knew they were going to cut him 2 weeks ago.

Last edited:
At the end of the day I don't think it was talent or athleticism or character that led to his departure. I think he was dense... Talent is only as valuable to Bill as it's ability to do the job as he assigns it on the field. He would rather work with a lesser or more limited talent he can trust instinctively than an athletic kid with lousy instincts who is a loose cannon on the field. He can do more with less as long as less can do the job as coached...allowing Bill to adapt the rest of his cast around any known limitations.

At the end of the day I don't think it was talent or athleticism or character that led to his departure. I think he was dense... Talent is only as valuable to Bill as it's ability to do the job as he assigns it on the field. He would rather work with a lesser or more limited talent he can trust instinctively than an athletic kid with lousy instincts who is a loose cannon on the field. He can do more with less as long as less can do the job as coached...allowing Bill to adapt the rest of his cast around any known limitations.

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

We will never know, but we have clues.
Up through last season BB kept putting him out on the field.
After 4 years as a starter, all of sudden he is gone with Chung, a ster, a 2 yr vet who played sparingly in those 2 years, and a 2nd year UDFA who's play last year left a lot to be desired.
Its not as if we acquired such a wealth of talent at the position that there were just 4 better players.
Character pretty much goes out the window when you look over to 92 who has under any criteria much more baggage.
All I have left is 2 choices.
1) A swift decline in skills. Now this is more possible this year with the lockout and no contact with the team for months. Meriwhether could easily have partied it up for 6 months then showed up in Foxboro physically inferior to the condition he left.
2) Coachability. If he has continued to make mistakes, which we pretty much agree on here, there comes a point where an acceptable amount of coaching up reaches the point of doubt it will ever be learned.

I don't know any of the facts that would help give us the answer but these are the 2 possibilities I can see at this point.

The other thing that puzzles me is that it seems blatantly obvious that we have at least 2 dead men walking on this roster because we need a G and a TE. Why wouldn't we have kept Meriwhether as one of those in order to make a trade? Surely with another couple of days to work on it, that could have happened. This leads me to believe there is some kind of attitude issue, and BB just wanted him out of the building.
Very bizarre indeed.

Ever since he said that he didn't always listen to his coach, his days were numbered.

Too bad, he was supposed to be Rodneys replacement, and ended up being a liability.

Last edited by a moderator:
The perils of drafting "measurables" over players. Al Davis would love him.

I think there were similarities between he and Maroney. Neither ever seemed able to acknowledge that Bill had any problems or issues with their play. Even as Bill was privately tutoring one and benching the other. It's like the ADD kid you spend an hour explaining something to and he says oh, yeah...and then he goes out and does the same thing he always does...

I think there were similarities between he and Maroney. Neither ever seemed able to acknowledge that Bill had any problems or issues with their play. Even as Bill was privately tutoring one and benching the other. It's like the ADD kid you spend an hour explaining something to and he says oh, yeah...and then he goes out and does the same thing he always does...

I don't want to agree with you, but I do :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes