PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Daily News Thread Patriots practice 8/22/23

Daily news threads with relevant news, stories, video, or additional content around the team. Feel free to contribute anything interesting you come across as well, which will hopefully make these helpful for people to keep up with what's going on with the team by having all the news in one place.
But Boutte is a former surefire 1st rounder prospect who is flashing his 1st round potential now and is a wide receiver . And his stock has been just on upswing . He will not cross waivers .

I think you are correct. The guy on many projected 53's that I think is less likely to be claimed from the PS is Cunningham. Shown nothing yet as a receiver, and his QB play was well known before the draft. A lot of teams would like him on their PS, but maybe not on their roster.

I think you are correct. The guy on many projected 53's that I think is less likely to be claimed from the PS is Cunningham. Shown nothing yet as a receiver, and his QB play was well known before the draft. A lot of teams would like him on their PS, but maybe not on their roster.

I'm curious about how bad Thornton's injury is. If Thornton is going to end up on IR for a few weeks, then you find a way to keep Malik as both 3rd QB and 6th WR (with Parker, JuJu, Bourne, and the two rookies) If Thornton is going to be back very soon, you probably just take the risk of trying to get Malik to the PS.

Can you put Thornton on IR so he can't play till week eight and have room on the 53 for Boutte? Or does Thornton have to be on the 53 BEFORE he goes on IR.

BTW- One thing to remember is that in EVERY NFL camp there is a guy just like Boutte (low draft pick or UDFA) who is "opening eyes" and just about EVERY team is worried that someone will take that kid on cut down day. So just because Boutte is suddenly playing well, it doesn't mean someone else will grab him. Remember every other team in the league is grappling over how to fit all the players they WANT into the roster they are required to have.

Ken - The IR rules changed during Covid. It's no longer 8 weeks. It's 4weeks. Just as it was last year. However, you can only put Thornton in the IR after he starts on the 53. There's a whole thread about Boutte in this regard.

Really? They drafted James white to replace him. Went to 4 Super Bowls with White and won 3 of them.

Oh no….but they diddnt keep Danny ****ing Woodhead. LMAO
They were both good 3rd down backs. Woodhead was one of the few bright spots in the 2nd Giants Super Bowl.

Statistically they were pretty close:

Ken - The IR rules changed during Covid. It's no longer 8 weeks. It's 4weeks. Just as it was last year. However, you can only put Thornton in the IR after he starts on the 53. There's a whole thread about Boutte in this regard.
There are players who would be willing to be cut for a day. Slater comes to mind.

Alternatively, we could put whoever is your 6th CB on waives. Nobody will claim. f they do, the loss isn't great.

There are players who would be willing to be cut for a day. Slater comes to mind.

Alternatively, we could put whoever is your 6th CB on waives. Nobody will claim. f they do, the loss isn't great.
As long as that’s Bryant it’s a good solution.

It is stressful, but in all the years I can only remember less than a handful of young players we lost.

The linebacker from Philly a while ago was the best, and there were a few CBs (Roberts to the Jets), but really most found their way back to the practice squad.

Oh yeah the WR who had a wild training camp and is still somewhere, but never played a game it seemed.
Garrett Mills - Claimed by Minny - (2007)
Kamu Grugier-Hill - Claimed by Philly (2016)
Darryl Roberts - Claimed by Jets (2016)
Cre'von LeBlanc - Claimed by the Bears (2016)
Kenny Moore - Claimed by Indy (2017)
Kenny Webster - Claimed by Miami - (2019)
Austin Carr - Claimed by Saints (2017)

You're assuming they'll keep 6CBs. Why do that when you have Mills?

I see them going with 5 Corners - Jones, Jones, Jones, Gonzalez, and Bolden.

When Braxton Berrios is your poster boy for not cutting some fringe WR, I think it shows that the team has been doing a great job on deciding who to keep and who to cut.

Hadn't all those guys except Roberts and Berrios been around a little while? Even they were second year players.

There was a CB who went to the Bears and Kamu Grugier-Hill.
No. they were all Rookies. UDFAs.

Slater is not a candidate. He literally has double the dead cap than cap hit.

Someone like Guy is a candidate, if he would agree, which probably is no. Myles Bryant and Mack Wilson are also two good examples.

I'm curious about how bad Thornton's injury is. If Thornton is going to end up on IR for a few weeks, then you find a way to keep Malik as both 3rd QB and 6th WR (with Parker, JuJu, Bourne, and the two rookies) If Thornton is going to be back very soon, you probably just take the risk of trying to get Malik to the PS.

What team is going to take a guy who hasn't shown much of anything other than the 1 rushing TD late in the game?

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back