PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Players, Wonderlic, Draft and playbook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Pain

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
How many players with great talent simply can’t make it with the Patriots because they just can’t keep up with the complexities of the Patriots schemes? The Cowboys top pick allegedly had a 4 out of 50. Granted he says he blew it off but I think unless you are smart you won’t be a Patriot and we have seen plenty of players make it here that probably would not have elsewhere and vice versa. Look at Chad’s difficulty with the playbook. Here is an online copy of the 2004 basic playbook. This is not something the draft press takes into account.

http://fastandfuriousfootball.com/wp-content/uploads/prooffense2/2004_Patriots.pdf

The Wonderlic is a useless piece of garbage. I doubt the Pats put any stock in it whatsoever. They're looking for football smarts and they determine if a guys has it by interviewing him.

I guess maybe when it gets deep into the draft and they have to pick guys they haven't thoroughly evaluated they may use it as a surrogate to a live interview, but I don't think they put much weight on it for their top picks. Vince Wilfork is the perfect example. He scored a 10.

I'm not buying any of this. Give me Morris Claiborne and his 4 over Ben Watson's 40 any day. Each game plan only has a handful of concepts and plays to remember. It's not like they have to have the entire playbook memorized on gameday.

Like someone said, football smarts and mental toughness are what the patriots look for. It doesn't matter if they can tell at what time two trains are going to collide.

Hightower was the leader of Alabamas #1 defense last year. He also called the plays and got players lined up. He comes from Sabans defense, which is similar to Belichicks.

I think he will pick things up pretty quickly.

Chandler Jones will have more of a "just get after the QB" role to start with. Kind of like how Anderson was in the first half of last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye