PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PATRIOTS NEWS Patriots place transition tag on Dugger

Breaking New England Patriots Team News
It means less money for Dugger and the Pats can then match any offers another team gives him.

It means they're being CHEAP again, is what it means.
No it doesn’t. They can hope a team signs Dugger and they can match and get a long term deal done.

And why is that?
Before the deadline Onwenu could only negotiate with one team, after the deadline to franchise he can negotiate with every team. Completion drives contract values up and the higher his value goes the less likely the Pats are to retain him.

I don’t think this tells us another about Onwenu other than that they picked Dugger at $13.8M over Onwenu for $19M.

Before the deadline Onwenu could only negotiate with one team, after the deadline to franchise he can negotiate with every team. Completion drives contract values up and the higher his value goes the less likely the Pats are to retain him.
So you just are going to instantly assume that nothing is going on especially when the "legal" tampering period does not start till the 11th so he can still only talk to the pats

I don’t think that it is a coincidence that the franchise tag guarantees him approximately the same salary that they reportedly offered him in a long-term deal.

Even with Bill gone, it’s clear that some here are going to continue to complain, despite not knowing all of the information that went into the decision. I don’t have the time or the desire to do this, but it would be interesting to see if the same posters who wrote that Dugger isn’t worth the franchise tag number will now complain that the transition tag number is too high, or that they cheaped out.

My personal opinion is that this seems like a pretty good middle ground if the goal is to keep the player but not overpay him.

So you just are going to instantly assume that nothing is going on especially when the "legal" tampering period does not start till the 11th so he can still only talk to the pats
As soon as the deadline passed without a tag or a contract for Onwenu the chances the Pats retained him decreased. That doesn’t mean that he can’t come back to the Pats only that it’s less likely.

Even with Bill gone, it’s clear that some here are going to continue to complain, despite not knowing all of the information that went into the decision. I don’t have the time or the desire to do this, but it would be interesting to see if the same posters who wrote that Dugger isn’t worth the franchise tag number will now complain that the transition tag number is too high, or that they cheaped out.
Too many posters parrot the negative **** they hear on Melger and Mazz. They should turn that **** off. There's a lot of negative Nancies here. Too bad, really. It could be fun to see how this goes, post-Bill. The whole 'weaponization' thing that Wolf talked about should be fun to watch them compile it, but too many guys want to whine and *****.

With Winfield tagged they probably didn’t see a choice. They must really have a high opinion of Duggar’s play.
Or, they wanted Winfield Jr. who's a true FS and are hedging their bets. I hope FS McKinney from the Giants is still available, as he was my 2nd FS choice. Best case scenario: A team signs Dugger and the Patriots get the draft pick compensation that a team would have to give up to sign a Transition Tagged Player, and then sign McKinney as FS.

Or the Patriots have a contract extension in place with Onwenu and don’t need to use the franchise tag on him.

I also don’t think because we need OL we should just throw money away without thinking. 21M for the franchise tag for Onwenu would made him the best paid RT in football. I am sorry but in my mind Onwenu is not close to being the best RT in football. It’s just not good business in my view.

As soon as the deadline passed without a tag or a contract for Onwenu the chances the Pats retained him decreased. That doesn’t mean that he can’t come back to the Pats only that it’s less likely.
No deadline as passed no other teams can talk to him untill the 11th. How does not having a tag change that time frame?

Onwenu franchise tag is 20 million. Teams might not pay more than 15 million and if at all it reaches 20 million we can match it.

I honestly feel even the transition tag price is a lot for Dugger. Not sure how many teams will be willing to fork that .
And I’m fine with paying him that amount for one season. Let‘a evaluate his performance after this season in hat scenario.

As long as they are planning to match any deal - which they can easily do - I don't mind this at all. They are essentially playing the odds that no one gives him a deal of $17m a year, which is the franchise tag number. If they have assessed his market accurately, they should get him at a solid enough price.

They need to accompany this with a proper top of the market offer to Onwenu though.

What a stupid move! Nobody is giving Duggar that kind of money, he just isn’t that good. Now they have removed any chance of compensation too!

Not exactly giving me a lot of hope that things will be different. I hope that Kraft doesn’t think he is Jerrah and is going to be his own GM, and Mayo is his puppet
If I'm not mistaken, any team signing a Transition Tagged player has to give up compensation to the team that tagged him, if the team doesn't match the offer. But, I could be wrong.

And I’m fine with paying him that amount for one season. Let‘a evaluate his performance after this season in hat scenario.
I am not since I think you can get an extension with him for less than that.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back