PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots 'part ways' with OL coach Dave DeGuglielmo

Status
Not open for further replies.
For what it's worth, we cut Cameron Fleming early last year and put him on the PS. It wasn't until OL started dropping like flies that we brought Fleming back. We didn't want Fleming on the 53. Unfortunately we had to have him.

For what it's worth, we cut Cameron Fleming early last year and put him on the PS. It wasn't until OL started dropping like flies that we brought Fleming back. We didn't want Fleming on the 53. Unfortunately we had to have him.
Totally forgot about those chain of events. Good call.

This O-line has really only looked fine when Brady has been able to get rid of the ball in two seconds since Gugs got here.
And that's only for passing. Could never run consistently.

Dante liked uber-athletic (for an O-linemen) 300 pound guys. Since he left we've drafted, I think it's, 5 much bigger guys with average at best athleticism. Googs was coaching players thought to fit his system. Sure Vollmer & Solder were Dante's guys, but the interior O-line was all Googs' guys and Vollmer and Solder missed significant time.

Additionally, Googs was the O-line coach who put the prospects through their paces at the 2014 & 2015 combine. I don't believe for a second that Googs "had no input on" the OL we drafted, as some have suggested.
Except that ... It has been noted that Scar was heavily involved in the recruiting, scouting and drafting process of the guys we got the last 2 years

he did it repeatedly, one would think it wouldn't take but twice to figure out that you just don't stand there with your arm out which resulted in a hit or a sack.
Maybe he's blind in his right eye and didn't know he was there?

Jackson very much fits the Mold for "Googs guys" but Stork and Mason and Andrews (UDFA) are pretty much inline with the "uber athletic" guys (Mason especially)

I think the new OL coach will be Brian Ferentz

I don't think he leaves Iowa. He is OL coach and run game coordinator. Unless he really wants to return to the NFL, he is in the best spot for his coaching career right now. On track to become OC in Iowa in a year or 2 and then maybe HC when his dad retires.

I think the new OL coach will be Brian Ferentz

Good call. I approve. Good pedigree, coached in the system, even played in the NFL a bit, I think.

I don't think this is about Googs v. Scar guys. I think its about game prep and in-game adjustments.

Except that ... It has been noted that Scar was heavily involved in the recruiting, scouting and drafting process of the guys we got the last 2 years

Mason fits the Scarnecchia UBERathleticism mold completely. Stork, Fleming and Tre Jackson were personally worked out by Dante. The one drafted player that didn't fit that mold at all was Jon Halapio in 2014 and he was gone pretty fast.

I am not saying that Googe is a bad OL coach but I think he just couldn't coach up the type of players that we got via BB/Scarnecchia philosophy. It would also explain why Cannon regressed so severely in the last two years. I still remember how Dante was swooning over him during TC 2013.

I don't think this is about Googs v. Scar guys. I think its about game prep and in-game adjustments.

I am not sure about that mainly because some players have regressed so severely even in terms of their technique and footwork that you can only scratch your head. Cannon was never an elite player but he played some great games in 2013 when he filled in for Vollmer as RT.

Jackson very much fits the Mold for "Googs guys" but Stork and Mason and Andrews (UDFA) are pretty much inline with the "uber athletic" guys (Mason especially)

Jackson and Fleming were both worked out by Dante personally in the last two years. On some level those two -- even if they dont entirely fit the model -- got a stamp of approval from him.

Jackson and Fleming were both worked out by Dante personally in the last two years. On some level those two -- even if they dont entirely fit the model -- got a stamp of approval from him.
In agreement, I follow the draft process pretty intensely ... Up until today every Olinemen we drafted had 1 on 1 sessions with Scar. I just really don't want to start a war with other members based on Goog and what I've heard about him. Bottom line is..his job was to get the line to block, he failed, he's gone. Next.

It was noted Scar was very influential with the Mason and Jackson picks

Scar should've stayed and coach them up. Pats should've doubled his salary or something.
It's bad that he retired before Brady. It sucks

I agree. I just don't get why its so hard for people to believe that Goog hadn't really gained BBs trust and therefore was not given the keys and had to follow orders . There's no saying that goog if he did a good job would over time pick up more responsibility and have more of an influence.

In agreement, I follow the draft process pretty intensely ... Up until today every Olinemen we drafted had 1 on 1 sessions with Scar. I just really don't want to start a war with other members based on Goog and what I've heard about him. Bottom line is..his job was to get the line to block, he failed, he's gone. Next.

Hope you come by the draft forum, it is much calmer and mature over there.

I remember reading Scar was very impressed with Flemming's IQ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes