Patriots name Josh McDaniels offensive coordinator

Status
Not open for further replies.

festy1986

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
http://www.patriots.com/news/index.cfm?ac=latestnewsdetail&pid=15204&pcid=47

IMO, this is just bad.

Yes Brady had a great year, but Brady is a product of just being good, if this guy was really any good (he was basically the OC this year) where was the holes for Dillon to run through? There was injuries but the guys could protect Brady you would think they could open up a hole or two.

EDIT

Just noticed this was already posted, sorry.

Last edited:
festy1986 said:

IMO, this is just bad.

Yes Brady had a great year, but Brady is a product of just being good, if this guy was really any good (he was basically the OC this year) where was the holes for Dillon to run through? There was injuries but the guys could protect Brady you would think they could open up a hole or two.

...he wasn't the OC this year (in actuality or technicality), it just says that he helped with some of the playcalling. What he WAS was the quarterback coach, and it seems to me we were pretty solid at quarterback, plus this means he already has a good thing going with Brady.

In any case, the lack of running game was caused by both our offensive line (which shouldn't be a problem next year, assuming injuries stay away) and Dillion (likewise... with some good off-season aquiring). Let's see some optimism man!

festy1986 said:
IMO, this is just bad.
Yeah, I'd say you are much better to judge McDaniels than Belichick is :violent:

festy1986 said:

IMO, this is just bad.

EDIT

Just noticed this was already posted, sorry.

Hmm.. I didn't realize that the OC had control of coaching the O-line. I thought that was the O-line coach? Of course, I am sure that the OC pruposely got players injured to cause the O-line carousel that we had also. You know the one that caused those holes not to be opened up. But, I guess we should expect our O-line to be opening holes that Mack trucks can drive through every play, right? Regardless of the fact that we have 2 rookies and 4 different starters on that line.

DaBruinz said:
Hmm.. I didn't realize that the OC had control of coaching the O-line. I thought that was the O-line coach? Of course, I am sure that the OC pruposely got players injured to cause the O-line carousel that we had also. You know the one that caused those holes not to be opened up. But, I guess we should expect our O-line to be opening holes that Mack trucks can drive through every play, right? Regardless of the fact that we have 2 rookies and 4 different starters on that line.

Don't forget Corey Dillon running like he was a double leg amputee at times.

I thought by blaming the lack of a running game on Dillon and injuries was getting way to cliche so I blamed someone else.

He is ready and mature

This question alone, from his press conference tells me he is ready and as stated and even more important BB knows he is ready:

: Is there a part of you - you’re 29 years old and you’re the offensive coordinator of the three-time Super Bowl champions - is there a part of you that is just amazed that this has happened so quickly?

JM: No. Every job that I have had here Bill has given me because he felt like I was ready for it. I trust his judgment and have faith in whatever he tells me that I’m ready to do. If he feels like I’m ready to do this, then I do too. I would say that I’m not really that amazed.

fgssand said:
This question alone, from his press conference tells me he is ready and as stated and even more important BB knows he is ready:

: Is there a part of you - you’re 29 years old and you’re the offensive coordinator of the three-time Super Bowl champions - is there a part of you that is just amazed that this has happened so quickly?

JM: No. Every job that I have had here Bill has given me because he felt like I was ready for it. I trust his judgment and have faith in whatever he tells me that I’m ready to do. If he feels like I’m ready to do this, then I do too. I would say that I’m not really that amazed.

I would actually look at this quote as a negative. If Bill feels this way, I do too? Seriously?

So, if Bill felt like sitting Brady, would Josh too? If he felt like going with a 2 man offensive line, would he too?

Some of the best things come out of disagreements. I'm afraid that A COMPLETE lack of confrontation may lead to some very bland offense.

Josh...you're getting paid. HAVE YOUR OWN OPINION!

(PS...I think most everything Belichick has to offer will be great, but I am a proponent of having different viewpoints)

My feeling is I will defer judgement of a coaches readyness to a head coach with the success of Bill Belichick. To me it's like hearing the very successful owner of a sales company promote his star employee because he knows he is ready to sell.
If you belive that Bill Belichick is one of the greatest coaches of all time (I do), then you must feel he, better than most, is smart enough to know that Josh has what it takes.

BradyisGod said:
I would actually look at this quote as a negative. If Bill feels this way, I do too? Seriously?

So, if Bill felt like sitting Brady, would Josh too? If he felt like going with a 2 man offensive line, would he too?

Some of the best things come out of disagreements. I'm afraid that A COMPLETE lack of confrontation may lead to some very bland offense.

Josh...you're getting paid. HAVE YOUR OWN OPINION!

(PS...I think most everything Belichick has to offer will be great, but I am a proponent of having different viewpoints)
No man, that's not it. I was in that position a long time ago with a mentor/boss who knew me very well, and knew how to push me. He promoted me fast and every promotion was viewed by others (including myslef at first) as pushing me in over my head.

First couple promotions scared the s#it out of me, but I always ended succeeding. AFTER a promotion or two was successful, I finally asked him, how come he kept upping my responsibilities when everyone else was busy telling him I was too young and inexperienced, he laughed and told me HE knew when I was ready and what I could handle. After that I felt just like McDaniels describes... every promotion after that, there was just an assumption in my mind that I was ready for it, otherwise my mentor/boss wouldn't have promoted me. And it always worked out.

It's a simple confidence in the man above you knowing what he's doing... it's not Josh McDaniels NOT having his own opinion.

T-ShirtDynasty said:
No man, that's not it. I was in that position a long time ago with a mentor/boss who knew me very well, and knew how to push me. He promoted me fast and every promotion was viewed by others (including myslef at first) as pushing me in over my head.

First couple promotions scared the s#it out of me, but I always ended succeeding. AFTER a promotion or two was successful, I finally asked him, how come he kept upping my responsibilities when everyone else was busy telling him I was too young and inexperienced, he laughed and told me HE knew when I was ready and what I could handle. After that I felt just like McDaniels describes... every promotion after that, there was just an assumption in my mind that I was ready for it, otherwise my mentor/boss wouldn't have promoted me. And it always worked out.

It's a simple confidence in the man above you knowing what he's doing... it's not Josh McDaniels NOT having his own opinion.

Eh. To each's own. It's great to have confidence in your boss. It's NOT great to defer to him all the time. This statement isn't any indication if he would do it at all, but as a coach, and now offensive coordinator, I would think he would want to promote HIMSELF as confident in his skills, and not kicking at the sand saying, "well, I must be ready since the man behind the curtain says I am".

BradyisGod said:
Eh. To each's own. It's great to have confidence in your boss. It's NOT great to defer to him all the time. This statement isn't any indication if he would do it at all, but as a coach, and now offensive coordinator, I would think he would want to promote HIMSELF as confident in his skills, and not kicking at the sand saying, "well, I must be ready since the man behind the curtain says I am".
Deferring in public is not the same as discussing the game plan in staff.

BradyisGod said:
We're doooooooooooommmmmmmed!!!!

The guys who promoted themselves to me were often to busy checking their hair and kissed their biceps between sales pitches. The ones who looked at me with stunned amazement the first couple times I threw them in the briar patch soon learned they were as good as I said they were.

It was always kinda fun to have them do something timid initially, held back by their own self doubts, then get them all riled up after I "unfairly" criticized them. "They" knew they weren't ready, only to find they were pretty darned good (when being mad at me kept them too busy to think about their shortcomings). A couple times around that track and they quite worrying about whether I knew how to do my job and got on with theirs.

fgssand said:
My feeling is I will defer judgement of a coaches readyness to a head coach with the success of Bill Belichick. To me it's like hearing the very successful owner of a sales company promote his star employee because he knows he is ready to sell.
If you belive that Bill Belichick is one of the greatest coaches of all time (I do), then you must feel he, better than most, is smart enough to know that Josh has what it takes.

Although this is a powerful argument, it is the only argument in favor of this hiring.

T-ShirtDynasty said:

so where are your seats stud, 109?

Last edited:
BradyisGod said:

I guess it's a good sign that BB let's him call him "Bill".

Trying to stay positive here. :D

PatsWorldChamps said:
so where are your seats stud, 109?
Dang PWC, go to a sports bar and take it out on the Steelers fans (they're everywhere like Raider scum). It is going to be rough for a few weeks, heck, go to a boxing match as a cripple and call Borges names, do something constructive to work through this. Poor T-shirt has enough grass stains from his glaucoma medicine, he doesn't urine stains to go with them.

RayClay said:
Although this is a powerful argument, it is the only argument in favor of this hiring.

So the fact that he already had the job in every aspect but the title last year and led the offense to 7th in the NFL overall and 2nd in passing isn't an argument in his favor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News