PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Daily News Thread Patriots Monday 10/9

Daily news threads with relevant news, stories, video, or additional content around the team. Feel free to contribute anything interesting you come across as well, which will hopefully make these helpful for people to keep up with what's going on with the team by having all the news in one place.

The tone and emphasis Schefter uses here is important. The literal words he’s saying don’t really match the message he’s trying to convey. This seems to heavily imply that, essentially, Bill will tell us Mac is “the guy” all week, but then come Sunday it’ll be someone else back there. Schefter is a guy who would know.

I think the post meant that our receivers are averaging 3.1 yards per game - Thats more of the truth :maybenot:
No it said the average target was 3.1 yards away from the nearest defender.

Anyone who has half a brain understands that there will be growing pains with a rookie kicker vs a veteran pro like Folk

That was understood when the decision was made, because Ryland can be our kicker for the next 15 years and Folk might have been our kicker for maybe the next 2-3 years
I totally agree with your point that Ryland is a long term investment. I don't think the gulf is that wide or that Folk will be viable for 2-3 years. He can no longer handle kickoffs. Besides Ryland is getting a trial by fire with Cardona being so inconsistent with his snaps. Folk would have less than stellar numbers if he was the Pats kicker. This is not worth debating. The real debate is investing a draft choice when the Saints rookie free agent kicker is doing so well.

When wozzy the most optimistic patsfan asks for change and possibly firing Bill , we are in deep **** as a fandom...
To be fair to Bill, I've asked him to do the right thing and hold Mac accountable, the same way he held Demario Douglas accountable for losing the football, for Boutte not knowing to drag his second foot on the sideline, for Rhamondre and Damien Harris not knowing how to pass block. Be consistent and hold people accountable.

Never ever in the past would he accept this level of incompetence and recklessness with the football. The old Bill didn't care if his players had fun, or frankly give a rat's azz about their feelings on the football field at all. That's why things that typically never happened are happening now. Special teams errors, jumping offsides, missed blocks, penalties, turnovers.

Mac Jones leads the entire NFL in turnovers.

If BB feels so strongly and emotionally connected to Mac that he can't bench him for terrible play... then the problem is Bill Belichick.

If we see Mac again this week, Bill has truly lost his fastball and it's time for him to be put out to pasture. - signed supposedly the biggest BB homer in the history of Patriot football forum

I arrived at the point of just laughing at this team's current incompetence. No sense getting upset. I've seen this before. I am actively hoping for 2-15 for a high draft pick, with the 2nd win also coming against the Jete.

Don't let this team ruin your Sunday.....it's not worth it.

We currently average 11PPG.. thats lower than:

The 0-16 Lions (16.8 PPG)
The 0-16 Browns (14.6 PPG)

I've gone past the angry and sad phases and am onto looking at it in amusement. Start Cunningham, blow it all up.

So Parker and Smith-Schuster inactive, Thornton coming off IR and Boutte active?

Vinatieri was 4-8 to start his career.
I think this is a great season for ryland to fine-tune and hone his kicking skills. We need ryland to miss many more field goals so that we can be ready for the tank.

The tone and emphasis Schefter uses here is important. The literal words he’s saying don’t really match the message he’s trying to convey. This seems to heavily imply that, essentially, Bill will tell us Mac is “the guy” all week, but then come Sunday it’ll be someone else back there. Schefter is a guy who would know.

I could be wrong, but I highly doubt that. This boarders on a conspiracy theory.

I would not be surprised if BB trades for someone, but at this point it is Mac for a few weeks IMO. BB wil personally try to turn Mac around. I don't think it is possible. I think Mac is lost.

I could be wrong, but I highly doubt that. This boarders on a conspiracy theory.

I would not be surprised if BB trades for someone, but at this point it is Mac for a few weeks IMO. BB wil personally try to turn Mac around. I don't think it is possible. I think Mac is lost.
I buy it from Schefter because Schefter is plugged directly into the agents. If another QB has been told he's the new starter, that QB's agent will know, and then Schefter will know. Or, if a trade is going to be made, that gets discussed with the QB's agent, and Schefter finds out. So to me, this feels like there are some potential moves happening that aren't public yet, but that agents know about so Schefter hints at. However, it is certainly worded in a "we'll see" way, so he's covered if nothing happens, too.

Really gonna suck when the Pats end up winning 4-5ish games and pick 10+ overall. Purgatory incoming.

Really gonna suck when the Pats end up winning 4-5ish games and pick 10+ overall. Purgatory incoming.
It's really hard to see that happening anytime soon. By late season, we'll see if they have any drive left at all.

Two of Ryland's misses are on Cardona, and a third was a 51-yarder into a strong wind.

I hate when people leave out context to strengthen a small sample size.
And yes, Folk was and is a great kicker. He did superb here - but let's not pretend that he can kick-off, or that having him on your team doesn't lengthen the field by 10 yards.

To be fair to Bill, I've asked him to do the right thing and hold Mac accountable, the same way he held Demario Douglas accountable for losing the football, for Boutte not knowing to drag his second foot on the sideline, for Rhamondre and Damien Harris not knowing how to pass block. Be consistent and hold people accountable.

Never ever in the past would he accept this level of incompetence and recklessness with the football. The old Bill didn't care if his players had fun, or frankly give a rat's azz about their feelings on the football field at all. That's why things that typically never happened are happening now. Special teams errors, jumping offsides, missed blocks, penalties, turnovers.

Mac Jones leads the entire NFL in turnovers.

If BB feels so strongly and emotionally connected to Mac that he can't bench him for terrible play... then the problem is Bill Belichick.

If we see Mac again this week, Bill has truly lost his fastball and it's time for him to be put out to pasture. - signed supposedly the biggest BB homer in the history of Patriot football forum
I'll argue your signature - I can't stand BB's press conferences, but I consider him the best coach I've ever seen and always defend him.

Or maybe that should be "defended," as in past tense.
Biggest problem right now is Mac. Biggest problem forever is that BB won't let rookies make rookie mistakes. No matter who the Patriots draft at, say, WR, BB's will go with higher FLOOR vets.
Boutte, Thornton, and Douglas should see all kinds of action the rest of the year. Mafi, Sow, and even Andrews should get lots of looks.

Marcus Jones should be out there as soon as he's healthy, and if he can't crack the secondary ahead of Wade (who seems to be playing pretty well) and/or Bryant, along iwth the other regulars, then maybe it's time for Marcus to think Offense is his ticket.
They need a big and fast youth movement to figure out exactly what they need going forward (besides a QB - Mac ain't it - still waiting for someone to explain to me why none of his teammates made a move to defend him in that Jets scuffle).

Play the kids. Play them until they're exhausted, then play them some more. And take notes.
And get ready to off-load whenever you can. I'd include Trent Brown in that list, despite what PFF says. He could bring some serious draft capital to a tackle-needy team looking to make a run.
Youth movement. Speed movement on Offense. Violence movement on the DL (that's what I love most about the Eagles and Saints' DLs...they play like monsters).

PS. As an aside, I saw a meme of a foursome of Eagle's fans in their Jerseys for Jason Kelce, Fletcher Cox, Jaylen Hurts, and D'Andre Swift standing side-by-side in that order.

Give it a minute, you'll get there...

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
Back