PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Minicamp Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
After Edelman's start and despite Ras-I Dowling's finish, Im more than willing to take a wait-and-see approach before condemning a talented player for being too "injury prone".

After Edelman's start and despite Ras-I Dowling's finish, Im more than willing to take a wait-and-see approach before condemning a talented player for being too "injury prone".

My issue with Dobson hasn't been the injuries is been the way he plays. He's been as soft as tissue paper. He doesn't go after the ball and he doesn't fight for it. I have often wondered why they didn't bring Moss in to teach him how to play the position. I hope this changes but it usually doesn't, players play their style for good or bad.

June 8th Notes: "WR Aaron Dobson had a second straight strong day and made another nice grab over CB Malcolm Butler" per Mark Daniels

I'm telling you guys. Watch out for Dobson. With his height and speed, he has the most upside of any patriots WR if he can stay healthy

I concur. People forget that both Edelman and Troy Brown spent a couple of early years learning the trade and being injured, before becoming stars.

Dobson has the talent. All he needs is to be healthy and get some confidence. BB is a shrewd judge of talent and he used a 2nd rounder of Dobson.

I can, and I did. They've moved on. That's obvious by their signings. He's on the roster, so he could theoretically get himself back into the plans, but it doesn't take a football-to-English translator to read the writing on the wall.
Pontifications as though the Pats had signed AJ Green or someone like that. But Hogan? Washington?

I'm still trying to figure out what went wrong with the recent promising OTA/minicamp/training camp/preseason careers of Markell Carter, Matt Stankiewitch, Zach Sudfeld, TJ Moe, and the player I was personally (and solely) convinced would become a starter by now, Kanorris Davis.

I nominate all of the above as part of the inaugural Michael Bishop Annex to the Pats Hall of Fame at Patriot Place. Fan voting for that contingent would be more interesting than the current NEP HoF process.

Do they get into the Annex before Bam Childress does?

Regarding Dobson. Some players get it and some don't. Injured or hurt for three years should be time spent mastering the playbook and catching the ball, unless he had a concussion too then there is really no excuses to contribute when you have a chance. Martin last year assimilated into the offense smoothly enough.

Hope he recovers and can return later, though not likely this year.

I think he was always going to be a tough guy to squeeze onto the roster at TE.

This opens the door for a binky, Derby, if he can take advantage.

This was Dobson's best play of the year -- and the last play too. Real talent and a terrible injury record:

I'll just say up front, I'm a seller when it comes to Dobson until I see improvement with his hands andhis ability to be in the right place at the right time.

Rewatching that play didn't turn me around on him, it actually had the opposite affect because it reminded me of how unsure he is with his hands.

He just can't seem to catch balls cleanly with any kind of consistency. Even the balls he catches, like the one on this play, he has to double clutch and juggle before bringing it in.

I truly believe he's lasted this long on the roster because he has an NFL body and the speed to go with it but at some point, if he's going to stick around he's got to start showing improvement with his hands.

Those of us who had a chance to see Moss play in person know the ball would just stick to his hands like a steel trap. Now I know it's not fair to compare anyone to Moss but the point is, if you want to be an NFL receiver you've got to show that you can catch with confidence. Dobson not so much.

Sucks to hear that Michael Williams has probably torn his ACL in a non-contact injury.

Just a reminder. Mini-camp numbers don't mean anything. Otherwise, people should be complaining about Bennett only having 2 receptions. It just the very start of the evaluation process that is ongoing between now and camp and then to the cut-downs.

Sudfeld was a preseason legend!

We (including me) were calling him Studfeld in preseason.
Then he gets in a real game, goes alligator arms letting a ball go off his hands for an INT deep inside home territory.
Became The Walking Dead to Brady who really, really hates picks.
CUT!

Does that mean Brady has lost a step as he's usually suppose to be great...

As long as Peyton Manning isn't sending emails that Brady may only have 2 good years, we should be fine.

And yes, there was sarcasm in those statements. Glad to see minicamps rolling around and Brady being Brady.

My issue with Dobson hasn't been the injuries is been the way he plays. He's been as soft as tissue paper. He doesn't go after the ball and he doesn't fight for it. I have often wondered why they didn't bring Moss in to teach him how to play the position............................
Ummm, possibly because Moss is not a coach and never was.

Ummm, possibly because Moss is not a coach and never was.

I think Moss could coach if he wanted to. He certainly has the football IQ and aptitude for it.

Todays Mini Camp should be wrapping up soon today right? Probably more news incoming.

Couples dings today but nothing too serious it seems. Also some returns.

Pretty quick this Foster kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore