PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots May Need to Get Creative on Brady's Next Contract

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brady deserves to be paid the minimum as the 3rd best QB in the league. Is that 15mil a year about?

I am more than happy to stand corrected by those who know more than I do about how QB's are being paid. Eli's at $15. So, assuming Brees doesn't renegotiate higher (maybe a shaky assumption), he and Eli would be tied for second.

I think on the plus side brady's character is a known commodity --- it's not like they're rolling the dice on giving offthemarkus russell a ton of dough up front.

wow, i've heard of "damning with faint praise," but that takes the cake!

I am more than happy to stand corrected by those who know more than I do about how QB's are being paid. Eli's at $15. So, assuming Brees doesn't renegotiate higher (maybe a shaky assumption), he and Eli would be tied for second.

I think Rapistburger is in second after signing an extension through 2015 that paid him $33M guaranteed including a $25M signing bonus and a $3M guaranteed roster bonus in year 2. Not sure what the actual AAV was on his new money - this was an extension with a couple of years left on his rookie deal. But it's probably within spitting range of Eli. Then there's Carson. The kid in Detroit signed a 6/$72M deal last April with I think upwards of $40M guaranteed. Lord only knows what Bradford will get since as always Condon is his agent... Oh, and McNabb is getting $12.5 in his last season. I think Brett is due $13 if he shows. Cutler and Romo are a little below the 12M mark I think.

Brady and Brees are both working off 6/$60M deals like relative peasants... Drew has two years left but aside from the potential for a lockout he'd probably be extended already. They may wait until 2011 to do his although with his salaries where they are the 30% rule wouldn't bee an impediment. He's getting $9.8M in each of the next 2 years. Tommy's been getting $8M in the backend of his. Peyton is getting right around $15M in the tail end of his and his deal when signed averaged $14M. Of course at the time he was a FA under the Franchise Tag while Tom was entering the 4th year of his 2002 5 year extension he signed coming off a Superbowl where he was named the MVP while earning the rookie minimum...

Last edited:
I think Rapistburger is in second after signing an extension through 2015 that paid him $33M guaranteed including a $25M signing bonus and a $3M guaranteed roster bonus in year 2. Not sure what the actual AAV was on his new money - this was an extension with a couple of years left on his rookie deal. But it's probably within spitting range of Eli. Then there's Carson. The kid in Detroit signed a 6/$72M deal last April with I think upwards of $40M guaranteed. Lord only knows what Bradford will get since as always Condon is his agent...

Brady and Brees are both working off 6/$60M deals like relative peasants... Drew has two years left but aside from the potential for a lockout he'd probably be extended already. They may wait until 2011 to do his although with his salaries where they are the 30% rule wouldn't bee an impediment. He's getting $9.8M in each of the next 2 years. Tommy's been getting $8M in the backend of his. Peyton is getting right around $15M in the tail end of his and his deal when signed averaged $14M. Of course at the time he was a FA under the Franchise Tag while Tom was entering the 4th year of his 2002 5 year extension he signed coming off a Superbowl where he was named the MVP while earning the rookie minimum...

That settles it for me: 5--10% off of Peyton's deal depending on its size and assuming it's near $20, but really I can't see him taking less than $17/18.

I have no idea how that gets structured, but somebody, somehow will figure out how to get it done. The Krafts definitely seem to want to keep Brady in New England and they are way smart enough to have concluded by now that that is what it will take and they must be thinking about making it work.

This has nothing to do with greed on Brady's part, but just the simple recognition that he deserves to be paid close to what he's worth, with a reasonable "discount" to stay in New England. And, that discount has to bring with it a commitment to have the pieces in place to enable him to make a run at another ring over these next three years or so.

Brady took less than he needed to in his last deal. This is likely to be his last 'major' contract. I don't know what his approach will be, but I can see him demanding more than Peyton gets (even if it's the old "plus a dollar" move) just as easily as I can see him settling for another undervalued contract.

Brady took less than he needed to in his last deal. This is likely to be his last 'major' contract. I don't know what his approach will be, but I can see him demanding more than Peyton gets (even if it's the old "plus a dollar" move) just as easily as I can see him settling for another undervalued contract.

I wouldn't blame him for the former, but, like most here, I hope he's willing to take a small discount to play for just less than what Peyton gets so he can finish his career in New England. Unlike others, though, I don't expect him to leave too much on the table.

why are u guys assuming that peyton will make close to 20mil a year? i do not see that as a given like some of you guys do

i see peyton making round 17mil a year, which leaves brady making 13 or 14 just fine

just cuz one team overpaid for their worthless qb (giants) and another for a guy whos always in trouble with the law (steelers) doesnt mean two organizations like this will do so as well

how much is brees making and to whenis his contract?

BTW, a 30%-40% increase in pay (which is what it would be for brady with 13-14 mil a year) is fine, just fine

why are u guys assuming that peyton will make close to 20mil a year? i do not see that as a given like some of you guys do

That's being reported by several other media outlets - not an assumption on our end. Just to clear that up :cool:

Last edited:

i see peyton making round 17mil a year, which leaves brady making 13 or 14 just fine

just cuz one team overpaid for their worthless qb (giants) and another for a guy whos always in trouble with the law (steelers) doesnt mean two organizations like this will do so as well

how much is brees making and to whenis his contract?

BTW, a 30%-40% increase in pay (which is what it would be for brady with 13-14 mil a year) is fine, just fine

i think the $20 number is way beyond assumption and has been widely reported. $20 might mean it ends up around $19, but it doesn't mean $17. And 13 or 14 for the guy who truly is the best player of his generation is not "fine, just fine." He deserves to have his value recognized; those who suggest a 5--10% discount off of Peyton, because the Pats don't pay #1 money for skill players, would make him the number two or three highest paid guy and give some money to the cap for a supporting cast; but, it's unreasonable to expect him to take less.

Last edited:

Thanks, Miguel! Nothing like a few facts!

So, two five year scenarios that end up totaling around $100, or $20 a year.

The first scenario, including the signing bonus of $24, sums exactly to $100 and so averages $20.

Under the second (Kolb) scenario, he'd get $98.8, heavily back-ended, or just about $20 per year.

So, what you're saying is that it is possible under the Cap to get Brady into Peyton Manning range, even though the "Present Value" of the two scenarios is very different.

I think Brady has earned Michael Jordan status. Come up with a responsible number that doesn't completely handcuff the team to sign some other big players and we'll get it done.

Miguel, is it just me or is Breer now double dipping where including the option bonus amortization is concerned? I wasn't aware you could include that in the calculation. It doesn't make sense since it is considered earned when exercised yet amortized just like a signing bonus since it actually covers future years...but the tortured logic the NFL operates under seldom makes sense... Still unless Breer is getting carried away with what he can include (and if counting the amortized option bonus twice is OK why not count it 4 times...), shouldn't Brady's basis upon which the the 30% rule is calculated be $10.4M ($5M + $3M + $2.4M) total??

Thanks for posting that analysis of QB contracts. Although I have a beef with looking at new money and ignoring so called old money because it doesn't account for what a guy is actually making over the entire course of his current deal. And Tommy's was truly a new 6 year deal as opposed to a 4 year extension since they didn't keep the old terms or the old salary structure and just add the bonus money up front. Nor did they build in backloaded salary, which is why he is actually making peanuts in the last two years of his deal. And if he completes it he will have averaged $10M per over 6 years...

I prefer to look at total contract value as well as first 3 and guaranteed money just in case guys do have to play out their deal. It's amazing just how far behind Tommy has lagged yet remained a trooper...and just how close Peyton has remained because of his backloaded salaries.

I figure he will need to see $50M+ guaranteed and most of it in the first 3 and close to $17AAV (although by the new money measure it will appear to be closer to $18M++). It's no wonder Bill has been loading up on rookies...

my prediction is that the pats are going to wait until the new CBA gets banged out before extending brady..........it alot of $$ to shell out in light of the fact that there may not be a 2011 season, and the stadium is already full for 2010

to put things into perspective, had there been a cap(132M est.), the pats would be near 20M under it. I guess you could argue that it looks like they wil be prime to chase guys other teams may need to dump if the cap scenrio changes.

While I don't like their OLB decisions, I must say that they are prepared quite nicely for any scenario that might happen regarding the new CBA

Miguel, is it just me or is Breer now double dipping where including the option bonus amortization is concerned? I wasn't aware you could include that in the calculation.

It is just you. BTW, given that Breer is going by what Ian Whetstone and I told him it is Ian and I whom you are suggesting are double-dipping. Breer was able to corroborate our numbers.

The CBA says:
"Any amount specified to be paid for the exercise of an option by a Club to extend the term of a Player Contract shall be treated as signing bonus, prorated over the remaining term of the contract commencing in the
League Year in which it is exercised or the last League Year in which the option may be exercised, whichever comes first. Such an option amount shall, immediately upon execution of the contract, renegotiation or extension, be included in any calculation for purposes of the 30% Rule, set forth above, prorated over the remaining term of the contract commencing in the last League Year in which the option may be exercised. "

Look at Kevin Kolb's contract.

2009 Paragraph Salary of $460,000. 30% of $460,000 is $138,000.
2010 Paragraph Salary of $715,000.
2011 Paragraph Salary of $1,392,000.

The only explanation that this contract was allowed with salary increases larger that $138,000 and it was allowed is the 2009 proration of Kolb's 2008 option bonus is included in the calculation.

460,000 + 415,625 = 875,625. 30% of 875,625 is $262,687.50.

2009 460,000 415,625 875,625
2010 715,000 415,625 1,130,625 130% of 875,625 is 1,138,312.50
2011 1,392,000 130% of 1,130,625 is $1,393,312.50

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back