PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots cut RB Travaris Cadet to make room for LB Bostic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there will be players who get injured between now and then, but if we are fortunate enough I would look at the inactive list and pick from those players.

I am actually shocked that we have not given Flowers any playing time yet, I thought he was impressive in the preseason.
Flowers has been hurt.

....or it could be phantomous?

I thought it was indicative of the importance of these players on Sunday when the Jaguars ran the fake punt play. Slater made the tackle but Bolden, Ebner, and Freeney were all right there along with him to stop the play as well.
Freeney is showing up. I really like him.

Flowers has been hurt.

....or it could be phantomous?
I know he had an injury in the preseason but I thought he was off the injury list now. This past week they went with bigger bodies because the Jaguars run the ball a lot, the same is likely to be true against the Cowboys. If we do not see him against the Colts, I think it will be an indication that Grissom and Johnson are ahead of him on the depth chart.

He apparently impressed enough people in minicamp and in practice to be on the roster up to this point. There just no film on him doing anything in an actual game. I wish that there was footage of him doing something - would have been cool to see his skills on display.

Last edited:
Still can't figure out how Brandon Bolden is still around.. I'd rather cut him and Cadet and bring back someone who could help them on kick returns instead of seeing McCourty back there.
Bolden is a legit 4 down player - that's the definition of a Belichik roster spot.

He's a legit 1-down player, and he's an illegit other 3 downs.
I dont think he should be taking reps away from Lewis or Blount but Belichik says he's good - “He plays on all four downs. He’s a good early-down back, he’s a good third-down back, and he’s a good fourth-down back,” Belichick said today of Bolden. “He’s one of our best special teams players, certainly one of our best offensive special teams players — along with (Matthew) Slater. So, yeah, he’s a very valuable guy, fills a lot of roles, smart, doesn’t need a lot of reps, and he’s got a lot of experience.”

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/...brandon_bolden_is_bill_belichicks_kind_of_guy

I dont think he should be taking reps away from Lewis or Blount but Belichik says he's good - “He plays on all four downs. He’s a good early-down back, he’s a good third-down back, and he’s a good fourth-down back,” Belichick said today of Bolden. “He’s one of our best special teams players, certainly one of our best offensive special teams players — along with (Matthew) Slater. So, yeah, he’s a very valuable guy, fills a lot of roles, smart, doesn’t need a lot of reps, and he’s got a lot of experience.”

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/...brandon_bolden_is_bill_belichicks_kind_of_guy

Bolded is true. The rest is "technically" true. Although you'd figure he'd get more than 0-6 snaps on offense if he was all that great on offense.

Belichick says a lot of things. Sometimes, Belichick lies. I suggest to you that this is one of those times.

Bolden is a legit 4 down player - that's the definition of a Belichik roster spot.

I fully agree with you, and never thought Bolden to be anywhere close to the bubble this past summer. He's shown the ability to play on all of the ST units quite effectively, with the capacity to run the ball as a lead back should injury occur. He also showed enough of an ability to catch balls out of the backfield, hauling in 21 receptions as recently as a couple of seasons ago.

That said, he is quite unspectacular while doing so, which is why some posters do not feel as though he is an asset to the team. Unfortunately, he has not looked too hot so far this season, although it's early yet.

Either way, I do agree that he fits into the category of a reasonably priced, veteran with experience in our system, and the capacity to work hard and contribute in many phases. Those are all traits that Belichick admires.

I fully agree with you, and never thought Bolden to be anywhere close to the bubble this past summer. He's shown the ability to play on all of the ST units quite effectively, with the capacity to run the ball as a lead back should injury occur. He also showed enough of an ability to catch balls out of the backfield, hauling in 21 receptions as recently as a couple of seasons ago.

That said, he is quite unspectacular while doing so, which is why some posters do not feel as though he is an asset to the team. Unfortunately, he has not looked too hot so far this season, although it's early yet.

Either way, I do agree that he fits into the category of a reasonably priced, veteran with experience in our system, and the capacity to work hard and contribute in many phases. Those are all traits that Belichick admires.
Didn't Bolden have a 100 yard game his rookie season? Before he was suspended. Obviously not really relevant to now but I suppose it's not that weird as vereen had one two years ago too

Belichick says a lot of things. Sometimes, Belichick lies. I suggest to you that this is one of those times.
Maybe Belichik is stretching the truth to make a point, but its a point that he preaches all the time - skill/position versatility. He recognizes that Bolden is... let's say "serviceable", as an early down back with the power to push the pile and a track record of good ball security. As a third down back, his receiving skills, while unspectacular, also make him "serviceable". His special teams contributions aren't in question.

A lack of postion/skill versatility is also a likely reason Cadet just lost his job.

Last edited:
Maybe Belichik is stretching the truth to make a point, but its a point that he preaches all the time - skill/position versatility. He recognizes that Bolden is... let's say "serviceable", as an early down back with the power to push the pile and a track record of good ball security. As a third down back, his receiving skills, while unspectacular, also make him "serviceable". His special teams contributions aren't in question.

A lack of postion/skill versatility is also a likely reason Cadet just lost his job.

Bolden is an excellent ST player. That's where it begins and ends with him. He's not good on downs 1-3, and that's clearly reflected in how he's used or, rather, how he's not used.

The player that went off my radar was Spikes. The Pats really wanted him to play for them this year and then...no an den! "The Patriots made due with four linebackers to begin the 2015 season, but they filled their void Tuesday when they acquired Jon Bostic in a trade with the Chicago Bears." The words "made due" caught my attention.

http://nesn.com/2015/09/bill-belichick-jon-bostic-gives-patriots-depth-on-all-four-downs/

Some are probably still calling for players at other positions (e.g. CB), but consider that the timing of a deal matters. There may not be players that fall within BB's value parameters today, but there may be in the weeks ahead. Meanwhile, Bostic- whom BB had some very positive things to say about -was acquired for a #6. Put another way, this situation might have been the other way around..with another positional player becoming available and the LB coming later. Meanwhile the young CBs that the Pats have on the roster have the opportunity/potential to really develop..as the Pats roll. :cool:

Meanwhile the young CBs that the Pats have on the roster have the opportunity/potential to really develop..as the Pats roll. :cool:

until they get shredded in in Denver or worse, in the playoffs

I know he had an injury in the preseason but I thought he was off the injury list now. This past week they went with bigger bodies because the Jaguars run the ball a lot, the same is likely to be true against the Cowboys. If we do not see him against the Colts, I think it will be an indication that Grissom and Johnson are ahead of him on the depth chart.

Grissom and Johnson have been playing inside. Flowers has no real role.

I have always felt the dislike/disagree button stifles the idea of some people making controversial points.

Also disliking statements of fact like BB is a fourth RB is beyond daft!

As for Cadet, as has already been stated, when you have Lewis and White looking class acts, he just wasn't needed. i imagine he will latch on somewhere though!

It's for haters. Although, I will admit to using it once in the gameday thread. Someone wanted the Steelers to score to help his fantasy team. I'd do it again.

until they get shredded in in Denver or worse, in the playoffs

Say what? I'm counting on the playoffs going through Foxboro so I can't see Denver shredding us here.

Edit: nvm didn't read it correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes