PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots corner situation and overall Defense thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel Ryan may be an NFL safety and not an NFL corner.

Maybe it's time to shake things up. McCourty at corner, Harmon at safety, more aggressive schemes like blitzing Mingo. McCourty can't be worse than Ryan/Coleman/Rowe and he's not making game changing plays at safety.

People focus too much on Ryan. The zone issues were not all his fault. There was a lot of miscommunications in the secondary. That is on Patricia, McCourty (who calls the assignments), and the defensive coaching staff.

And the fact that the Pats played a soft zone with a two and three man rush, is 100% on Patricia. You can't expect the players to make plays when you put them in a position to fail. I still don't know how you can drop 9 players into coverage and still give receivers a 5-10 yard cushion in gaps in the secondary.

Matt Patricia was the biggest reason the Pats failed last night on defense and there wasn't a close second.

I could not understand why they were playing their WRs so soft in zone all night. I get that Wilson is a mobile QB and BB probably wanted all eyes facing forward, but when you're not putting pressure on him, he's going to pick you apart. And he did....with his very mediocre WR corp.

What are everyone's thoughts on Malcolm Brown? Obviously there are greater issues/players playing poorly, but I'm feeling somewhat disappointed in his play. Don't expect him to be Aaron Donald out there or racking up double digit sacks, but seeing Brown get stonewalled at times by mediocre to poor OL is troubling. Still a very serviceable player, just would hope to see a little more promise from a 1st round pick .

Considering we are facing the following 3 QBs and #2 WRs the next three weeks:

Kaepernick/Torrey Smith
Petty/Quincy Enunwa
Goff/Tavon Austin

BB might as well try Jonathan Jones at #2 CB and see if anything is there. He was probably the 2nd most impressive CB after Butler at training camp.

All we need is an Ellis Hobbs type CB across Butler. Ryan looks like a lost cause who is leaving in FA next year. Coleman looked horrible despite a decent rookie year. Draft compensation increases with Rowe's playing time as well.

Maybe it's time to shake things up. McCourty at corner, Harmon at safety, more aggressive schemes like blitzing Mingo. McCourty can't be worse than Ryan/Coleman/Rowe and he's not making game changing plays at safety.
Have you seen McCourty play corner? You must not have...especially considering he hates.

I could not understand why they were playing their WRs so soft in zone all night. I get that Wilson is a mobile QB and BB probably wanted all eyes facing forward, but when you're not putting pressure on him, he's going to pick you apart. And he did....with his very mediocre WR corp.
Simply put, BB just seems to prefer zone whenever they're playing a QB who is a threat to run. It hardly seems to make a difference though.

Any interest in guys like DT Siligia or RB Michael, both who were waived by SEA today?

I keep hearing how desperate we are for DTs, although I'm not quite sure that's the answer. Brown, Branch and Valentine are some decent run stuffers.

Can't see where Michael would fit with Lewis returning.

Siliga (as well as Chris Jones, Pot Roast Knighton, and…gulp…Dom Easily) >>>> Vinnie & Woody.

WTF! Why are people sky-diving face first without a parachute after 1 GAME?!?!? Yes, of course the D played very poorly against Seattle, but it was 1 game & they know how to win games. Hell, each & every last one of their games have been within 8 points or less since 2011-2012!!!!! That's insane! Plus, we already beat them in the SB. Our D is not elite, but we don't need to be elite with this offense. We have 7 games (PS not included). We will be fine!!!!! Who's our coach??? William Stephen Belichick aka The GCOT :D. Let Matty P & The hooded-one sprinkle some Patriot dust on the D over the next few weeks & we'll be fine. There are no perfect teams. We can beat anybody in this league. Everybody calm down. Remember what happened in 2014 weeks 1-4 right????? Then what happened after that????.....Exactly...

When we play press man in the secondary, our defense is more than capable of holding an opponent to under 20 points.

However when we play zone and cover 3, opposing teams eat our lunch. In addition, we play another coverage that starts out looking like man but morphs into a zone with the safeties rotating. Whatever that is, is causing us huge havoc. We blow the coverage every time. And oh! By the way, we play it a lot on third down! Why?

I know part of the problem is a weak pass rush, but that is no excuse for the debacle we are seeing in the secondary, when not in press man coverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe