PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patfans Draft Forum mock thread -Feb 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
let's do the next one around 3/10. That way the rankings will should take in consideration the Combine results. Also the Patriots may have different picks by then.

I don't think that Barnes and Taylor are Patriots type players for various reasons. Taylor likes to hit, but not tackle. Barnes doesn't have that quick twitch that the Pats like in their corners. Barnes also has issues playing the run I think you really reached on Frantz. Unless you see him taking a Tatupu like rise after the combine.

Potter is intriguing.
From NFP's Scout’s Eye Series: Combine Wrap-Up today:
The National Football Post | Scout’s Eye Series: Combine Wrap-Up
Finally, Kevin Barnes, the corner from Maryland, had a good performance considering he’s seeing his first real action since injuring his left shoulder in October. Barnes was timed as low as 4.42 and looked very explosive and smooth during his workout. He’s someone who should move up draft boards in the coming weeks and could regain his spot as a potential second rounder with a strong pro day.

I had Barnes in my pre-combine mock. He probably moved himself up a round with his solid combine performance.

I had Barnes in my pre-combine mock. He probably moved himself up a round with his solid combine performance.

Yeah we both had him going at 124.

This exercise has gotten a lot harder in the past week, with a lot of PatsFans favorites moving up fast (Darius Butler's now at #27, Connor Barwin #41, Louis Delmas #47). Why didn't they just ask us to begin with? :p

I don't think that Barnes and Taylor are Patriots type players for various reasons. Taylor likes to hit, but not tackle. Barnes doesn't have that quick twitch that the Pats like in their corners. Barnes also has issues playing the run I think you really reached on Frantz. Unless you see him taking a Tatupu like rise after the combine.

Potter is intriguing.

Fokou & Barnes draw closer look from Belichick - Reiss' Pieces - Boston.com

Posted by Mike Reiss, Globe Staff April 11, 2009 02:00 PM
With Bill Belichick in attendance at the University of Maryland last Thursday, the Patriots held a private workout with linebacker Moise Fokou and cornerback Kevin Barnes, according to a league source.

The workouts are a small part of the overall scouting process, and were likely needed by the Patriots to finalize their grades on both players.

Belichick's presence, however, is notable. Perhaps the Patriots had some mixed reports on both players and Belichick wanted to see for himself.

Fokou (6-1, 233) projects to inside linebacker in the Patriots' base 3-4 alignment. The Pro Football Weekly Draft Guide rates him as a mid-to-late draft pick, noting that he is athletic and plays best in space, and could contribute immediately as a core special teams player.

Barnes (6-0, 187) is rated as a mid-to-late draft pick, according to the Pro Football Weekly Draft Guide. His time in the short shuttle at the combine likely caught the attention of teams, as his 3.96 led all defensive backs. Barnes has played some safety as well in nickel packages.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft