PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pat Kirwan reports on the Pats Training Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always believed in Mallet. He's got a great work ethic and to me, he's our post-TB future, and I think he'll show that during the pre-season.

Last edited:
Five questions from Patriots camp - NFL - CBSSports.com News, Rumors, Scores, Stats, Fantasy

I always hold value into what Pat has to say as IMO he in one of the more intelligent analysts and columnists in sports.

Pat sees a 12-4 team and lots of positives,thats always good news.

what worries me is that kirwan says that Jones/Hightower will not replicate Anderson/Carter in terms of sacks next year and still questions where the pass rush is going to come from. mike reiss, on the other hand, sees it differently - reporters like him are jumping through hoops about the potential impact of jones/hightower.

while kirwan predicts 12-4, he also feels that the pats will have the best regular season record in the NFL next year. IMO i think kirwan's predictions are a little on the low side for a lot of teams. 11-5 for green bay? 9-7 Houston? 10-6 San Francisco?

On Sunday Kirwan also said he thought that Fanene would be a factor and that Wilfolk will be unleashed.

He generally felt the D would be better. He didn't speculate about A Carter returning.

BB when speaking to Ryan and Kirwan said last year at this time no one was factoring in Anderson and Carter as impacting the sack totals, they noted the presence of T Scott and Cunningham's development.

If he is correct about Mallett's development we could see Hoyer traded if a team loses their QB since we will lose Hoyer next year anyway. Which would open up a needed roster spot.

12-4? Pffffft.

Kirwan's a hater

No kidding. They go 13-3 last year, he says they look better this year and have an easier schedule in 2012.

He likes the Jets more :p

It's great to hear the news about Mallett. I really trust Kirwan. His analysis is typically spot-on.

The most interesting line from Kirwan's blurb on Mallett was this:

The defensive players warned me before practice that Mallett was starting to stick the ball into tight spots with great velocity, accuracy and he understood where to go with the ball.

Reiss, Bedard and the various can observe all they want. But if the defensive players are truly noticing that, it's a very good sign. I'm sure Mallett has a lot of work to do on his footwork, decision making under pressure and release, but it's a promising start.

what worries me is that kirwan says that Jones/Hightower will not replicate Anderson/Carter in terms of sacks next year and still questions where the pass rush is going to come from. mike reiss, on the other hand, sees it differently - reporters like him are jumping through hoops about the potential impact of jones/hightower.

while kirwan predicts 12-4, he also feels that the pats will have the best regular season record in the NFL next year. IMO i think kirwan's predictions are a little on the low side for a lot of teams. 11-5 for green bay? 9-7 Houston? 10-6 San Francisco?

I think that there's a decent possibility that the 'missing sacks' we keep hearing about will be spread out over 4-5 players, and while we may not total the number that we had last year, an improved pass rush altogether will create more pressure. Of course the secondary can do their part too by giving the DL/LB more time to get there. As we know, an extra 1/2 second or so can go a long way.

As Richard Seymour once said after Brady went down in the opening game of the 2008 season : "There's more than one way to skin a cat."

Reiss, Bedard and the various can observe all they want. But if the defensive players are truly noticing that, it's a very good sign. I'm sure Mallett has a lot of work to do on his footwork, decision making under pressure and release, but it's a promising start.

I certainly agree in terms of Mallett's progression and hopeful improvement. There's only one man who's opinion matters anyway, and I trust him to make the right decision. I have been a huge supporter of the Mallett pick, and followed him throughout college with a close eye. I was as happy as a lark when we chose him last year, and am rooting like crazy for the kid. Any type of progression should be applauded, as it is likely a pretty complex system to learn. A major stride from last yr could go a long way towards continued strides in the next year too.

As we are also seeing, some of these reporters are witnessing the exact same play and coming up with totally different conclusions anyway. I'm personally going to hold off any 'major' judgement until I can see it for myself in the preseason games, and later on in TC where more patterns have developed.

That's actually good.

Nobody (including the opposition offenses) will know where it's going to be coming from.

National writers will usually predict records closer to a mean. One is better served to look at "best" record vs actual numbers of wins/losses.

I am shocked that Mallet would look more comfortable running the offense on the 4th day of TC than on the first couple of days.

"You got a lot better. Don't let it happen again".

-Lawyer Milloy

It is safe to say the Patriots are better off at quarterback than most teams in the NFL.

Most? Is there really any team with a better overall situation? :eek:

Mike Reiss will be the first person to say that he is not a professional scout. If I had to go with one or the other's scouting analysis, I'm more likely going to take Kirwan's opinion over Reiss'.

Some times he's a bit more definite that he should be given his failings. He often makes guesses and projections and is totally wrong. You'd think after all these years of watching and reporting he'd get a little better at it, but then, you'd probably think that after all these years of watching an expert piano player, I'd be able to play a little by now too. But, nooooo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft