BadMoFo

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Tell that to Specter, Tuna.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

Parcells on the Pats
Posted by Mike Reiss, Globe Staff
June 6, 2008 09:32 AM

In a South Florida Sun-Sentinel piece that covers various topics, Dolphins executive vice president of football operations Bill Parcells shares his thoughts on everything from Jason Taylor to the Patriots' penalties for videotaping.

On the Patriots videoptaping, Parcells said: "I think it was overblown. If the competition is victimized by someone spying on you — if that happened — it's your fault because you could take precautions to keep that from happening if you're smart enough."

Last edited by a moderator:
Tell that to Specter, Tuna.

Sounds like someone justifying what was part of his Standard Operating Procedures for decades. :)

It's not like BB just showed up in Cleveland and said to himself "Hey, I have an idea ..."

It started in the first pre-season game that BB arrived at the Pats. Me thinks that this plan was not hatched in the mind of BB in the off-season between BB and BP going separate ways, but that the Jets, Pats, and/or Giants were doing the same thing when BB was BP's DC.

Sounds like someone justifying what was part of his Standard Operating Procedures for decades. :)

It's not like BB just showed up in Cleveland and said to himself "Hey, I have an idea ..."

Exactly. The very guy who they love (Tuna, ESPN worships the ground he walks) probably did the same thing for his whole career. It's not cheating, it's not uncommon either.

I knew I loved Parcells for a reason. Too bad he's a Dolphin now.

This will be covered for 5 seconds on ESPN.

Exactly. The very guy who they love (Tuna, ESPN worships the ground he walks) probably did the same thing for his whole career. It's not cheating, it's not uncommon either.

You know, I was thinking the other week, what if this was Parcells who was caught when he was with the Cowboys. What would the reaction have been? My guess is a chuckling of boys-will-be-boys from the media and a slap on the wrist from Sheriff Goodell (who would probably be too scared to meet with Parcells behind closed doors.)

Great so now Parcells says its common...I am surprised people are not trying to take away the AFC title in 96 too.

On the Patriots videoptaping, Parcells said: "I think it was overblown. If the competition is victimized by someone spying on you — if that happened — it's your fault because you could take precautions to keep that from happening if you're smart enough."

Parcells should be NFL comissioner because of what he said. Hell, Jets should be FINED for b!tching and reluctant to take "precautions".

Goodell, do you take note.?

Parcells and BB are OLD SCHOOL folks.

Last edited:

Actuallt it sounds like someone making perfect sense, which means it is not going to be reported on by the lops like ESPN et al

my guess is BP was prob taping also, because he has at least in some form always defended it...but then again maybe not, maybe he is just smart and understands football better than some of the players and idiots in the media......

Actuallt it sounds like someone making perfect sense, which means it is not going to be reported on by the lops like ESPN et al

of course not, they will air joey porters comments....will they air these? will it be as big a story...?

For what it's worth here Florio's take on this:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/06/07/tuna-would-be-wise-not-to-talk-about-spygate/

TUNA WOULD BE WISE NOT TO TALK ABOUT SPYGATE
Posted by Mike Florio on June 7, 2008, 9:36 a.m. EDT
Overlooked in the recent remarks from Dolphins coach Bill Parcells regarding defensive end Jason Taylor was Parcells’ comment as to the Spygate episode that engulfed his former lieutenant, Bill Belichick.

Said the Tuna: “I think it was overblown. If the competition is victimized by someone spying on you – if that happened – it’s your fault because you could take precautions to keep that from happening if you’re smart enough.”

On the surface, he’s right. But assuming that Belichick learned a thing or two about cheating from his seasons with Parcells, the long-time head coach’s remarks seem like words of justification for engaging in such practices.

And the “if you’re smart enough” thing sheds light on why Belichick got nailed. Every NFL team, to one degree or another, breaks rules in order to secure an advantage. Belichick is more than smart enough to come up with effective ways of doing so, and in reality he was too effective at it.

Until, of course, he insisted on continuing with the practice after it was obvious that other teams were trying to catch him.

As a result, Parcells should have offered this variation on his thoughts, as they apply to Belichick: “If your team is victimized by being caught cheating — if that happens — it’s your fault because you could take precautions to keep that from happening if you’re smart enough.”

I think he's off base on his “if you’re smart enough” analysis. What Parcells meant there in my opinion was other teams should have been able to change their signals from week to week so that taping or spying would be ineffective. In general he is trying to say that each team tries to gain a competitve advantage on your team and you should be smart enough to account for that.

For what it's worth here Florio's take on this:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/06/07/tuna-would-be-wise-not-to-talk-about-spygate/

I think he's off base on his “if you’re smart enough” analysis. What Parcells meant there in my opinion was other teams should have been able to change their signals from week to week so that taping or spying would be ineffective. In general he is trying to say that each team tries to gain a competitve advantage on your team and you should be smart enough to account for that.

Well then now we can all go back to how this started...

Perhaps Tannenbaum did not thinkMangini was smart enough so he ratted.

Actually this is the full quote.

"I think it was overblown. If the competition is victimized by someone spying on you — if that happened — it's your fault because you could take precautions to keep that from happening if you're smart enough. Do you really think that numbnut came up with the idea? The man can't even wear decent clothes and folks think he genius. ****, I thought him about videoing the defensive signals when we were together at the Giants. Actually I taught him everything he knows. Never got around to teaching him how to dress though. Should have."

I knew I loved Parcells for a reason. Too bad he's a Dolphin now.

I guarantee the Dolphins beat the Patsies at least once this year. Look out for the "Odd Couple" of Parcells and Ricky Williams. They're coming for ya!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST