PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Packers 2011 vs Pats 2007 (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Mercury Morris likes the 2011 Packers better than the 2007 Patriots

Everyone has an opinion.

Last time I checked Mercury 19 is better (or more) than 17.

Mercury can go F himself with all this how they do it. How were the Pats any more in your face than the Packers? The Pats are the defintion of team.

If just came out and said one of two thing I would have been fine with his suddenly being ok with another undefeated team.

option one - the pats are in the same division and no way I could route for them

option two - I took a look back and I think we all have kind of been asses for not embracing the teams that have had their chances at doing it.

I didn't read the article but of course he will like the Packers more than a hated division rival. If he said otherwise then I would be completely shocked.

Every season so many people - not just fans, but many in the media as well - seem to assume an NFL team will go undefeated that year. Even just a few weeks ago many were assuming that the Lions and Packers would both be undefeated when they met later this month, and look at Detroit's record now.

Historically going undefeated in the NFL is a once-per-generation type of thing. You have to go back 30 years before the Dolphins' 1972 season, and then 35 years after that until the next team went undefeated during the regular season. Yet that fact is ignored and so many assume Green bay will go undefeated, just like so many were saying the Colts and saints would do the same two years ago.

The regular season is barely past the half way mark. The undefeated talk may not be premature as it's an interesting topic of discussion, but the presumption that it is more likely to happen than not just doesn't make any sense. There's a huge difference between being favored in every game, and actually winning every one of those games.

#1: The Packers are a long way from an undefeated season with 7 games yet to go.

#2: Mercury Morris' dissing of the Pats for being in-your-face about it is nothing compared to the way that he and his Dolphin teammates brag about themselves. Talk about ****y, when the '72 Dolphins went undefeated they were so full of themselves and still are apparently.

Shula and his goons were 1 of the primary reasons that loss was so crushing for me. To watch those classless bunch of A-holes cling to the past every week and wish us death made me sick.

"the chin" wanting an asterisk next to our name for spygate, mercury morris trash talking in the media every week and replays of the miami has beens drinking champagne after past teams failed to have a perfect season were just a few things that made me raging angry.

Back to the packers,

Do they have a better receiving core and O-line than we did?

The biggest seeming difference to is the hype around each team. The undefeated season talk for the Pats was almost immediate, with Collinsworth first mentioning it after the second game of the season. After that it was a weekly spectacle and must see TV, with every national game having record numbers. Every week it seemed like we were tracking records that could be broken as they steamrolled every team they faced. And as many have mentioned, all this happened during a time were there were several elite teams playing at the highest levels in Indy, San Diego, Green Bay and Dallas. Heck Indy would have been talking perfect season that year as well if it wasn't for the Pats.

This season certainly doesn't have that feel, maybe because 2007 was so recent and it doesn't feel like anything new. Or maybe its because GB is a smaller market and the hype is building slower. It officially doesn't reach 2007 level hype until Mercury Morris crawls out of his box to give his opinion.

BINGO...

I was thinking about this low level media hype the past 2 weeks.

Then seeing the highlights of the GB wr giving a blatant FACEMASK to a CB to get into the EZ and the announcer/ESPN highlighter simultracked saying 'how talented their wr corps is' just got me burning.

The Pats were enduring a week long extravaganza of "ARE U GOING TO GO UNDEFEATED" questions every single week. ESPN built it up and stoked all those 72 dolphags hatred for ratings.

You could say it has to do a lot with GB being a small media market and Boston's big market being next door to ESPN-CT studios with their NY-bias (this opinion from a CT homie).
It could also be as you said that we just did it in 2007; so it is not such a big story; but.........

either way the press has NOT been putting pressure on them to win every week like they did to the Pats, or the Dolts the couple years before or the other teams that went 7-0 etc etc.

There was always the COUNTDOWN TO NO UNBEATENS and WHEN WILL THE 72 PHAGS OPEN THE BOTTLE OF CHAMPAGNE stories starting as early as week 5. I don't recall seeing any of those stories this year????

Last time I checked, the Pats surpassed 17-0 in one season with a schedule that was exponentially more difficult statistically speaking. Go snort another line, Morris.

As I heard Stephen A. Smith say the Friday before SB42, I'm cheering for everyone to go undefeated, so I don't have to hear about how awesome it was to go 17-0 in a league with 240-pound linemen and nowhere near as much parity. Let's see that team block Tuck, Strahan, and Umenyiora or cover Randy Moss and Wes Welker.

In fairness, Bob Griese did say that any team from the modern game would have kicked the crap out of a team from the 70s, so it's not every player from the '72 dolphins who is a maroon.

Morris sounds like one of the homeless schizophrenia crackheads I see walking around North Las Vegas. Of course he will be a media darling because he says over the top things and it gets people to respond.

In the end though, I have to say I really don't care enough to bother looking into it. This is just based on what I can recall him acting like during the 07 season.

champagne-pop1.jpg

Even if we lose I won't be mad, this is a good day!!!

07 Pats stand alone still!

Thanks KC

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back