Votes: 28 65.1%
  • Yes, they absolutely should change

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • I'm not sure if the current system is good or bad

Votes: 3 7.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I Agree with the OP: Why punish one Team for something as ridiculously arbitrary as a Coin Toss??
shakinghead.gif

Why should a Team's entire Season end because of something so random as a Coin Toss??
huh.gif

They prepare for 6 Months, bust their Asses, and make it to the PlayOffs, carrying millions of memories and the Hopes and Dreams of their Fans with'm...and lose it all because of a Coin Toss??
doh.gif

Winning PlayOff Games and Championships is best determined by Skill, right?
idea.gif

Not decided by who wins a bloody Coin Toss??
spock.gif

01 ~ Let them have an equal shot at the Ball. Easy, right? And fair.

02 ~ Or let them play an entire Period.

Boom.

Done.

I'm fine with the current system. I think the old one was more "pure", but routine 90+ passer ratings and 50+ yard FGs killed it. Can't stand the college system.

Would you mind explaining in more detail? I'm not quite sure I understand. Having a brain fart lol

One team picks a yard line. The other team picks offense or defense.

So one coach says "ball on offense's 1 yard line". The other coach would almost definitely say "we're on defense". Thus that wouldn't ever actually happen.

Or one coach says "ball on defense's 5 yard line". The other coach would say "we're on offense". That also would never happen.

On to more realistic scenarios...

One coach says "ball on offense's 30". Now the other coach has a more meaningful decision to make. Does he take the ball but have to start on his own 30 or does he give up the ball and force the other team to start on its own 30?

It'd be an even trickier decision if the ball was put at the offense's 17, say.

The idea of this approach is that it gives you OT fairness because the coaches will end up at the spot where they're indifferent to the outcome, i.e. where they'd like it as much if they got the ball first or if they didn't.

Another approach along this line is to "auction" the spot. The teams bid on where they want to start on offense from and the team willing to start the closest to its own goal line gets the ball first on that spot.

No. If you wanna get a possession then don't let them score a touchdown.

And when you win the coin toss don't kick it off.

I don't feel anything for the packers. There was a proposal before the season to guarantee each team gets a possession in overtime but they never voted for it and just lost the same way last playoffs.

• Agree
Reactions: glm
I Agree with the OP: Why punish one Team for something as ridiculously arbitrary as a Coin Toss??

Why should a Team's entire Season end because of something so random as a Coin Toss??
huh.gif

Because it doesn't. Look at the stats. Since they changed the OT rules it's been pretty much 50/50 for games in which a team has won -- there's no advantage to winning the toss.

And I am completely against "no sudden death, just play another period". That will utterly rob the 4th quarter of excitement because it'll make teams even more willing to play for a regulation tie.

shakinghead.gif

huh.gif

They prepare for 6 Months, bust their Asses, and make it to the PlayOffs, carrying millions of memories and the Hopes and Dreams of their Fans with'm...and lose it all because of a Coin Toss??
doh.gif

idea.gif

spock.gif

Boom.

Done.
that would be true if the game ended in the first quarter but since they have 4 quarters to win and dont, all sudden death is a continuation of game, till someone scores

shakinghead.gif

huh.gif

doh.gif

idea.gif

spock.gif

Boom.

Done.

there's no advantage to winning the toss.

Winning the Coin Toss confers no Advantage?? That's rich!!
icon_lol.gif

Totally agreed. The 4 down aspect is definitely a big advantage.

If teams are so concerned about that advantage they can choose to kick off to start overtime and claim that advantage for themselves.

If they don't do it, then perhaps it's not as big an advantage as you think.

Winning the Coin Toss confers no Advantage?? That's rich!!
icon_lol.gif

This has been discussed before on this board (in the last few weeks, even) and someone posted the stats. Since they changed the rule it has been just about 50/50 for games that don't end in a tie. Half the time you win the toss you lose in OT and half the time you win the toss you lose in OT, and vice versa. Small to no systemic advantage to winning the toss.

Last edited:
that would be true if the game ended in the first quarter but since they have 4 quarters to win and dont, all sudden death is a continuation of game, till someone scores

Absolutely: Just ignore the fact that losing the Coin Toss gives one Team an huge Advantage. ;)

If it's just a "continuation of the Game", why not just "continue the Game" with the same Team having the Ball at the same Down and Distance as they had at the 60 Minute Mark?
spock.gif

Green Bay got knocked out of the playoffs the last 2 years by massive plays before Rodgers even got to touch the ball.
You're right - and they have only themselves to blame.

Absolutely: Just ignore the fact that losing the Coin Toss gives one Team an huge Advantage. ;)

If it's just a "continuation of the Game", why not just "continue the Game" with the same Team having the Ball at the same Down and Distance as they had at the 60 Minute Mark?
spock.gif
I believe the odds are about 50/50 winning the game no matter who wins the toss

This has been discussed before on this board (in the last couple of weeks, even) and someone posted the stats. Since they changed the rule it has been just about 50/50 for games that don't end in a tie. Half the time you win the toss you lose in OT and half the time you lose the toss you lose in OT. No systemic advantage to winning the toss.

You've got to be kidding. Don't you think perhaps there are other factors involved?
spock.gif

Whatever other factors have influenced the current numbers ~ such as Home Field, just to start ~ the suggestion that winning the OverTime Coin Toss doesn't confer an Advantage is preposterous.

shakinghead.gif

huh.gif

doh.gif

idea.gif

spock.gif

Boom.

Done.

It didn't end on the coin toss. It ended when GB couldn't stop Arizona from driving 80 yards in less than 2 mins.

Skill is absolutely involved the defense didn't do its job.

You're right - and they have only themselves to blame.
Let's be honest though, an offense and defense are two completely different teams, on the same team.

It's not Rodgers' nor the offense's fault the defense didn't hold up its end of the bargain. Rodgers got them a chance to win. Relying on the defense is not something every team can do, and that doesn't necessarily mean they should lose because of it (because you could have key injuries etc).

I don't like watching Brady sit on the sideline, helmet at the ready, only for one of our guys to slip on snowy turf and miss a tackle for the game.

That's not cool with me.

I have no problem with the rules as they are. The walk-off is a fun part of football.

And you had 60 minutes to win the game. You couldn't do it so take your chances on the coin flip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3