PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Our new RB is a shrimp

Status
Not open for further replies.
he has speed 4.33 40 speed but supposedly it's stright line speed. The word is he doesn't have the burst or lateral quickness one would expect.

I think if he works hard they will find a role for him. It does not appear he is a better athlete than Welker or even Edelman.

Yeah, people keep trotting out the Welker and Edelman comparisons, but they're really not relevant.

Welker 5'8"-5'9"
40y dash: 4.65
short shuttle: 4.01
long shuttle: 10.90
three-cone drill: 7.09

Edelman 6'0"
40y dash: 4.51
short shuttle: 3.91
long shuttle: 10.74
three-cone drill: 6.62

Woodhead 5'7"-5'8"
40y dash: 4.33-4.38
short shuttle: 4.08
long shuttle: 11.2
three-cone drill: unknown

A 3rd down back is not going to have an offensive line in front of him. He has to make something out of nothing. Remember when Edelman got the ball on 4th and 7 against the Ravens last year?
Watching the Jets highlights Woodhead runs through defenders, not around them. Problem is, this isnt NCAA div. II, so that doesn't work anymore. Straight line speed is only good until a defender arrives. He's said to have a big heart, and I hope he proves me wrong.

Might end up looking like watching a wrestling match between a sumo and midget ;)

A 3rd down back is not going to have an offensive line in front of him. He has to make something out of nothing. Remember when Edelman got the ball on 4th and 7 against the Ravens last year?
Watching the Jets highlights Woodhead runs through defenders, not around them. Problem is, this isnt NCAA div. II, so that doesn't work anymore. Straight line speed is only good until a defender arrives. He's said to have a big heart, and I hope he proves me wrong.

As long as he can catch, block the blitz and hit the hole quick on the play action, he'll be ok. Maybe thats asking a lot, KF made it look easy sometimes.

Last edited:
So I guess they're not retiring Maroney's number. Hmmmm.

deserves a rim shot (ba-daa-bunk)

Rimshot.gif

Dave Meggett says hi (although he didn't look like a middle-schooler from the neck up). He's never going to be a lead back in the NFL and may not have the necessary elusiveness but let's at least give him a chance as a 3rd down option....something that he never got with the Jets other than in the preseason. If he can't do, it should be pretty apparent early on.

hopefully he can run like that other little shrimp Maurice Jones Drew :)

Doubtful. MJD has legs like tree trunks. But if this guy can pass block, catch, and run, then he will help as another option for the offense. According to his Pro Day results Woodhead ran one of the fastest 40s of that draft class and his quick twitch/agility numbers were top flight as well.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Woodhead

Last edited:
as a jets fan and long time woodhead fan, i think most will be surprised with him...anyone with real football knowledge will see that he is a football player. he does things right, intelligent, and is a gamer. i think pats fans will be pleasantly surprised and would give him a chance.

Maybe if he become a weapon we can give him a crazy name like woodpecker and everytime he makes a big play, the patriot faithful can go ha ha ha ha ha haaaahhhhhhh.
You know like the woody wood pecker cartoon well that's my idea for a nickname anyhow.

Doubtful. MJD has legs like tree trunks. But if this guy can pass block, catch, and run, then he will help as another option for the offense. According to his Pro Day results Woodhead ran one of the fastest 40s of that draft class and his quick twitch/agility numbers were top flight as well.
Danny Woodhead - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I can't envision him blocking too well....I see a blitzing safety playing leap frog over Danny enroute to Brady

he has speed 4.33 40 speed but supposedly it's stright line speed. The word is he doesn't have the burst or lateral quickness one would expect.

I think if he works hard they will find a role for him. It does not appear he is a better athlete than Welker or even Edelman.

He is not as shifty as Welker or Edelman, Edelman is more shifty than Wes. But he is faster. So how does less in one area and more in another area mean he is less of an athlete? His strong lower body makes him less shifty but harder to bring down. Edelman will never be a running back - he would get injured - maybe Woodhead is more durable like Faulk has been up to this time. Speed is good, I really like him as a 3rd down back - the Pats obviously do too. Amazing that the Jests let him go.

he is quicker than he is straight ahead fast. you will all be surprised. i'm pissed we let him go. honestly, he did not fit into our system, we are a "ground and pound" running team who needs a big durable back. for the pats system he is perfect. unfortunately, he just did not fit our type of offense in my opinion, which is why i believe we let him go. in the nfl, players getting cut is multifactorial, not just because someone sucks. it's a number game and he got caught in it. mark my words, you doubters will be happy by mid season that you picked him up, he is a steal for the money.

Dave Meggett says hi (although he didn't look like a middle-schooler from the neck up). He's never going to be a lead back in the NFL and may not have the necessary elusiveness but let's at least give him a chance as a 3rd down option....something that he never got with the Jets other than in the preseason. If he can't do, it should be pretty apparent early on.

Not totally accurate. When they activated him, he was the Jets third down back part of the time. Woodhead played in 10 regular season games for the Jets last season, finishing with 15 rushing attempts for 64 yards and eight receptions for 87 yards.

So he averaged over 4 yards per run and over 10 yards per reception. You are very correct in that he didn't really get a chance to show what he could do. I'm excited for him to be a Patriot because I do feel he fits in the offense much better.

As for his blocking he is improving more all the time. It is always hard for a short back to spot blitzing linebackers much less block them effectively. I hope people don't spend too much time trying to compare him to Kevin Falk. He won't be anywhere close at this early stage in his career.

I can't envision him blocking too well....I see a blitzing safety playing leap frog over Danny enroute to Brady
If you watch game film from the Jets after mid-season last year, you'll see Danny did a great job protecting Sancheesie. He has a knack for cutting the blitzing defenders....I'd be more worried about him taking out someones knees - a 200# compact cut block is pretty dam effective.
Someone said intelligent - he had a 3.6+something GPA and Academic All-American (http://cosida.com/documents/2007/11/29/2007_football.pdf)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST