PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Our New ILB

Status
Not open for further replies.

harveyw

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
I realize that the chances of the Front Office taking a LB with either of our firsts is remote based on our historical selections. Therefore, I have been searching for a possible mid-rounder that could be groomed for a year by TB and Seau and I came up with is guy...

Jon Abbate 5'11" 245#

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/ilb/jonabbate.html

I watch a lot of ACC games as my college team of interest is BC and I have seen this kid play plenty. I believe that he led his team in tackles for all 3 years he played. He was the bonafide leader of the Decon's defense.

He's ranked 107th best prospect according to GBN. Sounds like he could be had in the 3rd/4th.

If this guy was 4 inches taller, I would be harping on him day and night, he is that good and much like Leonard possesses a ton of intangibles. (PS:I really, really like the safety on that team Josh Gattis. If we can get Gattis in the third, I would be extremely pleased.)

The reality is it's hard to imagine a 5'11" ILB coming up and taking on OG's, that are 6'4" and 330lbs, and still finding the ball carrier and making the stick in the hole.

Abate and Silar would almost always be forced to run around the block of the OG and that won't work in our defense. If we have a headhunting (close to the line) SS like Rodney or Milloy, then a guy like Silar or Abate can dive on the OG's shoelaces and let the headhunting SS clean up the RB. However we could also train a guy like Alexander to dive on shoelaces just as effectively.

Last edited:
If this guy was 4 inches taller, I would be harping on him day and night, he is that good and much like Leonard possesses a ton of intangibles. (PS:I really, really like the safety on that team Josh Gattis. If we can get Gattis in the third, I would be extremely pleased.)

The reality is it's hard to imagine a 5'11" ILB coming up and taking on OG's, that are 6'4" and 330lbs, and still finding the ball carrier and making the stick in the hole.

Abate and Silar would almost always be forced to run around the block of the OG and that won't work in our defense. If we have a headhunting (close to the line) SS like Rodney or Milloy, then a guy like Silar or Abate can dive on the OG's shoelaces and let the headhunting SS clean up the RB. However we could also train a guy like Alexander to dive on showlaces just as effectively.

Yeah, I feel the same way about the Penn St LBers.

I loved Abbate, he i a tackling machine. Unfortunately, when I heard he was 5'11", I became very sad. The Pats would never draft him. If he becomes the next Zach Thomas, and we don't draft him, I'll be pissed. Thomas was a 5th rounder, and all he's done is become a multi timer Pro Bowler. Maybe Abbate in the 4th round might be worth a look.

Sounds like at least a special teams ace.

The whole height thing is so overrated. Bruschi is a whole 2 inches taller, Baker-Fletcher is a mere 5'10", and Thomas is 5'11". Give me heart and determination over size, speed, etc. (ie. Brady, Brown, etc...)

The whole height thing is so overrated. Bruschi is a whole 2 inches taller, Baker-Fletcher is a mere 5'10", and Thomas is 5'11". Give me heart and determination over size, speed, etc. (ie. Brady, Brown, etc...)

Heck, Larry Izzo isn't exactly bumping his head on any door frames, either. . . . [Then again, he does play ST, which is a whole different animal.]

I think this guy will be a good addition in the later rounds .Especially against players like maurice drew who are short and compact and hard for ILB to gain leverage.

Abate and Silar would almost always be forced to run around the block of the OG and that won't work in our defense. If we have a headhunting (close to the line) SS like Rodney or Milloy, then a guy like Silar or Abate can dive on the OG's shoelaces and let the headhunting SS clean up the RB. However we could also train a guy like Alexander to dive on shoelaces just as effectively.
Siler is listed at 6'2''. If true, that makes him taller than Willis.

tell that to dan klecko. one of the biggest hearts and motor you can find.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes