PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Ryan trying to make a feel-good story with Gholston

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone actually believe the Pats were going to draft Gholston?

My understanding is that Mayo was their guy, and he trade backwards wasn't because Gholston was off the board, but because they were reasonably sure Mayo would still be there at 10.

I always like to envision the Pats playing mind games with the Jets on these things, like in '03 when everyone hyped Dewayne Robertson so much and the Jets picked him. I like to think the Pats somehow cleverly encouraged the hype.

Does anyone actually believe the Pats were going to draft Gholston?

My understanding is that Mayo was their guy, and he trade backwards wasn't because Gholston was off the board, but because they were reasonably sure Mayo would still be there at 10.

They had worked out the basic idea of the trade with the Saints the night before the draft.

I think there were some rumors that if Mayo had gone off the board, the Pats might have 'settled' for Keith Rivers.

Not really. They will cut him no matter what.

I think so too. But I thought that last year too. You have to remember that the Jets are not a normal franchise run by intelligent people. You can't assume anything with those idiots ;)

Fitzpatrick is rumoured to be out for tomorrow, so that would make Brian Brohm the starter. :rocker:

I would love to see a Bills OL step aside, then Gholston hit Brohm, then the camera cuts to Woody Johnson and Mike Tannenbaum dropping F-bombs all over the place.

Gholston should slip a couple Bills Olineman a Rolex to "Ole" for him.

A Rolex? For nine million he should buy two Maserati Quattros, stick the keys in his pads and announce that the Guard and Tackle who let him through first can drive the cars home.

Last edited:
Thought this was funny. Here are the top 10 team/talent matches from the 2008 draft. Gholston is in the #1 spot. Sure, he doesn't play hard on every down, but he'll be devastating in the NFL.

Draft: 10 best marriages of talent, team needs - NFL - ESPN

1.Vernon Gholston, OLB, New York Jets
Gholston was exactly the kind of player Jets head coach Eric Mangini needed for his 3-4 defense. The Jets already added two significant defensive players in the offseason -- nose tackle Kris Jenkins and outside linebacker Calvin Pace -- and now they get an explosive pass-rusher with tremendous upside. Sure, several analysts have knocked Gholston for not playing hard on every down, but the Jets will find a way to change that immediately. The bottom line is this kid was good enough to register 21½ sacks in his final two years at Ohio State. He'll be just as devastating in the NFL.

Kris Jenkins was indeed a big pickup for the Jets (when he's not injured), Gholston was and is an all-time bust. Particularly since the Jets traded up to select him with the #6 overall pick. In comparsion, the Pats got Seymour at that draft position.

Last edited:
Kris Jenkins was indeed a big pickup for the Jets (when he's not injured), Gholston was and is an all-time bust. Particularly since the Jets traded up to select him with the #6 overall pick. In comparsion, the Pats got Seymour at that draft position.

I think the #6 pick was the Jets own pick. They traded up to #30 to take Dustin Keller.

Does anyone else remember Ryan during Hard Knocks raving about how good Gholston looked once he moved him from OLB to DE? You gotta wonder if Ryan was blowing sunshine up everyone's a** or if he actually believed that Gholston was gonna be a successful 260 pound 3-4 DE. IMO it's not completely over for Gholston yet, the chances of him ever being successful in a 3-4 are slim, he could maybe become a serviceable 4-3 DE.

The $9.1 million sack, excellent.

The thread title needs to be corrected.

OT: Ryan trying to make a feet-good story with Gholston

Thank God he didn't fall to us a #7 that year.

The Pats very well may have taken him - though he may have developed with BB coaching him rather than pansy Mangina (though probably not).

They took him, we traded back to 10 and took Mayo, a solid but unspectacular LBer who is Ray Lewis is comparison to the sackless wonder Vernon Gholston.

All teams have big misses but the monetary cost of a 6 pick really sets a team back. :singing:
We would not have drafted him

Thank God he didn't fall to us a #7 that year.

The Pats very well may have taken him - though he may have developed with BB coaching him rather than pansy Mangina (though probably not).

They took him, we traded back to 10 and took Mayo, a solid but unspectacular LBer who is Ray Lewis is comparison to the sackless wonder Vernon Gholston.

All teams have big misses but the monetary cost of a 6 pick really sets a team back. :singing:
They also missed on Robertson at 4(?) and I think time will tell they missed on Sanchez at 5

Looks like Gholston is still looking for his first sack. Didn't get it today.

Looks like Gholston is still looking for his first sack. Didn't get it today.

Rookie UDFA Dane Fletcher in 2010 . . . 2 sacks, 1 INT
First-round draft pick Vernon Gholston since 2008 . . . :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes