OT: Ryan trying to make a feel-good story with Gholston

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice_Ice_Brady

I heard 10,000 whispering and nobody listening
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Vernon Gholston still seeking first NFL sack - NFL Nation Blog - ESPN

Kind of reminds me of my brother's varsity basketball team. The team manager was a great kid, but he had Down syndrome. Everyone used to love him, and he was like the most popular kid in school. During the last game, they put him in the final minute and the other team let him dribble down the court and bank in a shot. The crowd went nuts, and I'm sure he'll always remember that moment. I can kind of see the Gholston situation with a similar scenario.

Last edited:
We should all be cheering for this to happen.

Gholston needs sack for pay day -- or freedom - Jets Blog - ESPN New York

If he gets a sack, he triggers a $9.1 million roster bonus for next season, which the Jets have to pay or else he becomes an unrestricted free agent. Throws a bit of a wrench into their plans if he gets it, so hopefully Buffalo puts in their back-up QB and lets him run wild, like Favre/Strahan.

Kind of reminds me of my brother's varsity basketball team. The team manager was a great kid, but he had Down syndrome. Everyone used to love him, and he was like the most popular kid in school. During the last game, they put him in the final minute and the other team let him dribble down the court and bank in a shot. The crowd went nuts, and I'm sure he'll always remember that moment. I can kind of see the Gholston situation with a similar scenario.

That's an absolutely heart-warming story. But somehow when you replace the protagonist with a huge muscle man with a $32-million contract, it becomes comedy. Go figure.

Gholston should slip a couple Bills Olineman a Rolex to "Ole" for him.

If his contract with the Jets extends past this year, I would think it would be better for him to not get that sack. Who is going to sign this bust as a FA??

44 games. No sacks. No forced fumbles. No fumble recoveries. No passes defensed. No INTs. 1 QB hurry. 1 QB hit. 3 tackles for losses.

Eric Moore has already tripled VG's lifetime accomplishments in 3 games with the Pats. LOL

No question he is a bust, but I question why is he still in the league.

Last edited:
Thought this was funny. Here are the top 10 team/talent matches from the 2008 draft. Gholston is in the #1 spot. Sure, he doesn't play hard on every down, but he'll be devastating in the NFL.

Draft: 10 best marriages of talent, team needs - NFL - ESPN

1.Vernon Gholston, OLB, New York Jets
Gholston was exactly the kind of player Jets head coach Eric Mangini needed for his 3-4 defense. The Jets already added two significant defensive players in the offseason -- nose tackle Kris Jenkins and outside linebacker Calvin Pace -- and now they get an explosive pass-rusher with tremendous upside. Sure, several analysts have knocked Gholston for not playing hard on every down, but the Jets will find a way to change that immediately. The bottom line is this kid was good enough to register 21½ sacks in his final two years at Ohio State. He'll be just as devastating in the NFL.

If he gets a sack, he triggers a $9.1 million roster bonus for next season, which the Jets have to pay or else he becomes an unrestricted free agent. Throws a bit of a wrench into their plans if he gets it, so hopefully Buffalo puts in their back-up QB and lets him run wild, like Favre/Strahan.

Not really. They will cut him no matter what.

Last edited:
No question he is a bust, but I question why is he still in the league.

By keeping Gholston on the roster and trying to prove that the organization didn't f--k up a top 10 draft pick as badly as possible, they're simply cementing the notion that they are a league wide punch line.

Thank God he didn't fall to us a #7 that year.

The Pats very well may have taken him - though he may have developed with BB coaching him rather than pansy Mangina (though probably not).

They took him, we traded back to 10 and took Mayo, a solid but unspectacular LBer who is Ray Lewis is comparison to the sackless wonder Vernon Gholston.

All teams have big misses but the monetary cost of a 6 pick really sets a team back. :singing:

By keeping Gholston on the roster and trying to prove that the organization didn't f--k up a top 10 draft pick as badly as possible, they're simply cementing the notion that they are a league wide punch line.

Agree 100%. Tannenbaum would look more foolish that he already is by cutting him loose. He can't blame everything on the backstabber.

Thank God he didn't fall to us a #7 that year.

The Pats very well may have taken him - though he may have developed with BB coaching him rather than pansy Mangina (though probably not).

They took him, we traded back to 10 and took Mayo, a solid but unspectacular LBer who is Ray Lewis is comparison to the sackless wonder Vernon Gholston.

All teams have big misses but the monetary cost of a 6 pick really sets a team back. :singing:

If there is one thing you can say about the Pats, is that they have not missed badly with their first round picks. Maroney, Watson and even Graham certainly weren't home runs, but at least they were productive more often than not.

Last edited:
"And Fitzpatrick is sacked.....BY VERNON GHOLSTON!!!!!!. Oh wait a minute we have a flag here." "Offsides #50 defense 5 yard penalty still 1st down!".

Thought this was funny. Here are the top 10 team/talent matches from the 2008 draft. Gholston is in the #1 spot. Sure, he doesn't play hard on every down, but he'll be devastating in the NFL.

Draft: 10 best marriages of talent, team needs - NFL - ESPN

1.Vernon Gholston, OLB, New York Jets
Gholston was exactly the kind of player Jets head coach Eric Mangini needed for his 3-4 defense. The Jets already added two significant defensive players in the offseason -- nose tackle Kris Jenkins and outside linebacker Calvin Pace -- and now they get an explosive pass-rusher with tremendous upside. Sure, several analysts have knocked Gholston for not playing hard on every down, but the Jets will find a way to change that immediately. The bottom line is this kid was good enough to register 21½ sacks in his final two years at Ohio State. He'll be just as devastating in the NFL.

Just shows what a guessing game the draft is.. seem to remember several posts lusting over him as they thought he would fit this system..

Vernon's 12 games of the season. On the first day of the season.

1. I wasn't active.
On the second day
2. Act-ive bu-ut did-n't play
3. Ran down on a kickoff once. But we got shutout and couldn't do it again.
4. Almost touched Tom Bra-dee
5. Got in for a few plays when pace had to take a le-ak
6. Nearly sacked "Fitzy" buuuut he told me to G-F-Y
7. Assisted Scott on a tackle and Rex took me to Mickey D's
8. Inactive cuz went out with Braylon and got a little tipsy
9. Got a free doobie when I missed a tackle against Ricky
10. Inactive but got to rub against Michele's feet
11. Played against Buffalo and made ta-ackle. Woo hoo
12. Inactive but helped form A-lo-si's Wall

Last edited:
Fortunately for the Pats this is the Rats' style of management and team building. Keeping guys like Gholston allows the Rats to brag about their superior talent since they equate draft position with talent, and they can disparage BB's drafts.

BB on the other hand, would rather cut a high draft pick like Tyrone McKenzie and trade off a former 1st round RB for whatever he can get for him and keep guys like Dane Fletcher and BJGE; you know, guys who can actually PLAY.

Fortunately Danny Woodhead was a UDFA or else the Rats wouldn't have cut him. They preferred to keep the guy with the pedigree that they traded up for.

BB values winning above all elese. He understands that after a pick is made it is a sunk cost, and all that matters going forward is "Can the guy play"? The Rats would rather win off-season Superbowls and get style points.

Fitzpatrick is rumoured to be out for tomorrow, so that would make Brian Brohm the starter. :rocker:

Agree 100%. Tannenbaum would look more foolish that he already is by cutting him loose. He can't blame everything on the backstabber.

Well, he could try blaming Gholston's lack of performance on Alosi. That's worked recently. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots