Not open for further replies.

Tunescribe

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Fascinating NFL Network feature on tonight about Ed Hochuli. The guy's a horse -- 54 years old, lifts weights four days a week and does stairmaster six days a week. Shows him critiquing his own performance from game film, working with his crew, etc. Interesting stuff, gives you a new appreciation for the zebras.

Last edited:
One of the better officials in the league. So much so, we gave him a nickname:

hochules.JPG

And guys like Jeff Tripplette give him a bad name.

Last edited:
Never one to turn down the chance to turn a challenge review on a national game into 15 minute hooded ordeal complete with the overdone explanation.

groundgame said:
Never one to turn down the chance to turn a challenge review on a national game into 15 minute hooded ordeal complete with the overdone explanation.

But hey. . . . what do you expect from a lawyer? Seriously, he's a lawyer who "moonlights" as a ref.

....is a beast...

...He is my favorite NFL ref...:D

NEM said:
He comes from Phoeniix and he IS one of the better officials. But something he said when the NFL refs were on strike, a few years back, really pissed me off.

He is av erysuccessful attorney here, in Phoenix, He has, from what I hear, a very lucrative practice.

When the officials were on strike he said he would give up his job as an attorney if the NFL would put them on full time.

To this day I just cant belileve he meant that, and that he was just throwing the bull crap around.

Based on how he comes across in that story, I believe he was sincere about that. He really has a passion for working in the NFL.

NEM said:
He comes from Phoeniix and he IS one of the better officials. But something he said when the NFL refs were on strike, a few years back, really pissed me off.

He is av erysuccessful attorney here, in Phoenix, He has, from what I hear, a very lucrative practice.

When the officials were on strike he said he would give up his job as an attorney if the NFL would put them on full time.

To this day I just cant belileve he meant that, and that he was just throwing the bull crap around.

I have no problem with what he said here. I do remember he said some garbage I didn't like the last time the official's contract was up. I wish I could remember what it was.

Here you go D44

The Washington Post

September 2, 2001 Sunday
Final Edition

SECTION: SPORTS; Pg. D08

LENGTH: 724 words

HEADLINE: Locked-Out Refs Feeling Penalized;
No Talks Planned in NFL Salary Dispute

BYLINE: Leonard Shapiro, Washington Post Staff Writer

BODY:

Ed Hochuli, a longtime NFL referee and president of the locked-out NFL Referees Association, said yesterday his members are getting angrier by the day and "more and more resolute" in their determination to earn salaries comparable with officials' wages in other major sports leagues.

"Our guys are getting very upset," Hochuli said, adding his members voted 119-0 to take their current action -- demanding to be paid on a level commensurate with officials' salaries in pro baseball, hockey and basketball -- because the hours they work are equivalent to a full-time job.

Hochuli also said members are not happy that league replacement officials are earning $ 2,000 a game and have been guaranteed at least four games to continue once the regular season opens on Sunday. He said no regular NFL official has been paid more than $ 1,260 for working preseason games; the average preseason pay is about $ 1,000.

"The league is obviously preparing itself for a long lockout," Hochuli said in a telephone interview. "They're offering these guys more money because it's pretty obvious they can't find enough quality officials. The only reason they've given them two more games is to entice replacements to sign up and work."

Hochuli, a 12-year referee and a practicing lawyer in Phoenix, had declined to comment on the labor impasse in recent weeks. NFL game officials normally are not allowed to speak with the media unless given permission by the league office. However, Hochuli said because officials are locked out the prohibitions no longer apply, according to the union's labor attorneys.

Hochuli declined to comment on the job the replacements have been doing in their debuts over the past three days. Other union sources have said the few penalties being called make it clear that the replacements have been instructed only to throw flags for the most blatant infractions. They also said there have been a number of errors in rules interpretations and the spotting of the ball.

As of yesterday, Hochuli said no new talks had been scheduled to resume negotiations. He said union negotiator Tom Condon has "told [the NFL] he's ready to talk anywhere at any time on a moment's notice." Condon and league attorney Jeff Pash are scheduled to appear live on an ESPN "Outside the Lines" show this morning at 10:30. Condon will be in Kansas City; Pash will be in a New York studio.

Earlier this week, Commissioner Paul Tagliabue seemed to indicate the league's last offer, including a 40 percent pay increase this year, a doubling of salaries by 2003 and a 120 percent increase in the fifth year, still was negotiable.

"It depends on the other side being more reasonable than they have been," Tagliabue said recently at a New York Jets luncheon. "We've made a very generous and fair offer. . . . We're prepared to negotiate on some things, but part of the problem is that all they do is reject our offers without telling us what they don't like about it, other than the 400 percent increase they want."

Hochuli said he and his members are willing to negotiate but are determined to raise their salaries to levels comparable with those of other major pro sports. "We're so far apart [from the other sports], it would take a significant increase just to get us up to parity," he said.

Virtually all NFL officials work in other careers, and Hochuli said he believes many of his members would be happy to work at football full-time for six months of the season, with more hours in the offseason. He also knows it has been difficult to get much fan support for such huge increases, "but I don't know if percentage increases should be the criteria.

"I'm sure fans are saying, 'God, a 40 percent increase, what's wrong with that?' They'd jump at it. But they wouldn't if they knew that in their own jobs, if everyone doing the same thing they were doing was making 400 percent more than they were; they'd want to be paid on an equal footing."

Hochuli said he had no idea about the experience level of the replacement officials, most of whom are coming from college football. The NFL has not released that information, claiming it does do not want the regular officials harassing the replacements and trying to convince them not to work.

"We would not harass them," Hochuli said. "We have not done it in the past. We have simply asked them not to work."

LOAD-DATE: September 2, 2001

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry for posting the whole article, but it was a copy & paste from a refree site I visit.

I've always admired his muscles.

Probably my favorite NFL Referee too.

I'm surprised to read so many positives about old Ed. Alot of people don't like him because they think he's all about promoting Ed.

My favorite offical was Phil Luckett. Whatever happened to him?

Ed is my favorite referee also. He always gives a thorough explanation when something confusing comes up. Plus, it looks like he could still strap on a helmet and go knock heads with some of the players out there.

chunkyponyTE82 said:
I've always admired his muscles.

So does Ed. :D Hochuli gets a lot of stick from the TV analyst on UK Channel 5 for appearing to be too interested in promoting himself, as Hoodie says.

NEM said:
You could be right, but somehow I just cant believe he would give up his very,v ery lucrative practice for referreing fulltime. Maybe I am wrong.

Many people have given up lucrative jobs they didn't like to make less money doing something they love.

NEM said:
You could be right, but somehow I just cant believe he would give up his very,v ery lucrative practice for referreing fulltime. Maybe I am wrong.
Just because someone owns a successful law firm doesn't mean they need to clock in everday as an attorney. He could easily quit and continue to make money from his firm.

hmmmm...a ref a lawyer...anyone know if he sells used cars on the side?

re

Hochuli is a beast. They had a feature on him in Sports Illustrated not too long ago. He is a workout warrior.

He is also one of the best refs in the league - good eyes, very no-nonsense in his demeanor, and competent. He isn't afraid to make the right calls because he can bring a world of pain to anyone who disagrees!

NEM said:

If anything, you should have a greater appreciation for the guy. He was protecting his job and his fellow officials. The NFL is a monster and could crush the Refs union if it had major divisions. He was a team guy.

maverick4 said:
Hochuli is a beast. They had a feature on him in Sports Illustrated not too long ago. He is a workout warrior.

He is also one of the best refs in the league - good eyes, very no-nonsense in his demeanor, and competent. He isn't afraid to make the right calls because he can bring a world of pain to anyone who disagrees!

I wonder if Rodney will ever make it to the NFL as a ref. I think that's what he's shooting for when his playing days are over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye