PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Perspective on this day

Status
Not open for further replies.
I joined the Air Force in 96 as an 18 year old just looking to get out of my parents house. But on September 11th was when I learned what being in the military actually meant and have been incredibly proud to serve ever since. I will never forget how I felt that day, and will continue to serve my country as long as they let me.

Thank you for your service.

The guy was on 60 minutes on Sunday. He gave a blow by blow description of the everything from the preparation to the execution of the operation. The entire show was utterly fascinating, but I didn't hear or see anything that would be considered informative to our enemies. It was good that they told the whole story, and they did a great job. Informative and professional. And the guy who told the story would make a great Patriot. He just "did his job".

Thank you for that. Probably a better idea for us to have this particular discussion in a Political Forum, though.

Lots of NFL mediots were referring to yesterday as annual over reaction day in the NFL. How true.

Today is a different day. One that puts all of that and more in perspective.

I just looked back over the thread, Mo, and it is a wonderful collection of memories and determination. As we start a new day, I'll end my contributions to it with a life-affirming story out of that awful day.

A friend of mine had her office on the 97th or 98th floor of the North Tower. Like a lot of other New Yorkers on Wall Street, she prided herself at being at her desk by 7:30 every morning.

However, on the evening of September 10th, 2001, her boyfriend took her out to dinner and asked her to marry him. They shared a bottle of champagne and, as a result, my friend slept a little later that morning and instead of being at her desk at 8:46, she was still on the subway.

She is now married to that guy and the mother of a beautiful daughter. As tears streamed down my face when she told me the story (I couldn't make stuff like this up), she concluded that "I now treat every day of my life as a gift."

I joined the Air Force in 96 as an 18 year old just looking to get out of my parents house. But on September 11th was when I learned what being in the military actually meant and have been incredibly proud to serve ever since. I will never forget how I felt that day, and will continue to serve my country as long as they let me.

Thank you blackglass3, most sincerely.

I lost someone I went to high school with, Robin Kaplan from Framingham, MA, who worked in the WTC towers. We were acquaintances and classmates. Robin was one of the most kind hearted people I'd ever met.

The world could use a lot more like her.

As someone who had his hopes of serving in the military dashed by his genes (Chronic Asthma), I always make it a point to thank the men and women who serve. There is nothing better than the look on their faces when you go up to them in the airport, say "Excuse me" and then tell them "Thank you" for their service.

My mom's dad served in the Army Air Corps. He was a Senior Flight Mechanic for B-17s and had to have Top Secret clearance because of the bomb sights they used in the B-17s. He and he alone was responsible for making sure each one was installed before each flight and turned in after each flight.

My Dad's dad served in the Army and was a part of Patton's 3rd. He made the rank of Sergeant, was a Tommy Gunner, and was part of the relief group that replaced units on the front lines after the Battle of the Bulge.

My Dad joined the Jr. ROTC in High School and went to UMASS and was in the ROTC there. After college, he went into the Air Force where he retired the rank of Captain after 7 years.

So, to say that I have great respect and admiration for the people serving this country every day is an understatement.

The world is a cruel place..live it up people

One of my neighbors was a Port Authority Cop, I saw him a couple of days later. I was at the Port Authority when word of the North Tower being hit cam in. He was going to go downtown with his boss to help out, his boss told him to stay there and that he was call him down later. He never heard from his boss again.

I spent time a little time with a co-worker Tuesday. She was in an elevator riding upwards near the 83rd floor when the first plane hit... and going down in the stairwell around the 5th floor when the first tower fell.

She was consulting for the Port Authority, so Tuesday, she brought with her a memorial poster with the Port Authority folks who did not make it out that day, including the boss who drove in to assist, and did not return; or the pleasant young woman who often brought cookies.... In her words: a cross-section of America.

Her advice: trust yourself. Don't listen to someone if you think it's wrong; after all you can get another job, but not another life. Be alert. Wear comfortable shoes!

And Never Forget.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference