Welcome to PatsFans.com

OT: OMG! Jets/Giants to play in Nazi-Affiliated Stadium!!!(merged and moved)

Discussion in 'Visiting Locker Room' started by Grizzafted, Sep 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grizzafted

Grizzafted Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Oh,,,,,, man.

This is embarassing. Talk about a jinx. Their stadium is going to bear the name and title of a company that INSURED AUSCHWITZ!

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...giants_and_jets_fans_join_uproar_over_st.html

2. alvinnf

alvinnf Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Re: OT: OMG! Jets/Giants to play in Nazi-Affiliated Stadium!!!

Yeah, and the old one housed Jimmy Hoffa, Big whoop.
  3. letekro

letekro Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 2 / -3

Wow! Really? Why, just this morning I saw someone driving a Nazi-affiliated automobile, and then at work I saw someone using a Nazi-affiliated coffee-maker! This is really getting out of hand!
  4. spacecrime

spacecrime Rookie

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Oh, for crying out loud. This PC crap is getting ridiculous. A man in an insurance company served in his country's military 70 years ago, and we are supposed to get upset today?

Mercedes made engines for the Nazis and nazis drove around German cars and on German motorcycles and drank German beer.

Ban all German beer because it refreshed a Nazi 70 years ago.

Sushi was eaten by Japanese soldiers on the Bataan death march.

I can understand the horror it was at the time, but at some point you have to say that the people alive today are not the perpetrators of the deeds of their grandfathers.
  5. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

I agree to an extent, but you should draw the line at companies that knowingly profited off of the holocaust.
  6. PATRIOT64

PATRIOT64 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

7. AStack75

AStack75 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

8. PATRIOT64

PATRIOT64 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

9. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +344 / 6 / -8

Re: OT: Giants and Jets consider naming rights of stadium to company tied to Nazis

Can't spell Giants without IG... as in FARBEN!!! NAZI BAsTARDS!!!
  10. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +234 / 18 / -38

#50 Jersey

What's embarrassing is how much this is a NON-ISSUE.

1) Volkswagen was brought to prominence by the Germans of that era
    2) Many of the things we have today, can also be traced back to the Germans of that era.
    3) Considering how long ago it was (60+ years), and what the company has done since then, to hold them accountable now is like attempting to hold every white person accountable for Slavery and every man accountable for the injustices that women went through.
  11. DaBruinz

Ratings:
    +234 / 18 / -38

#50 Jersey

Do you realize how foolish you sound?

As Spacecrime pointed out, there are NUMEROUS companies whom profited DIRECTLY from the holocaust. BMW, Mercedes, Volkwagen. Are you going to boycott all the companies in the US who committed attrocities in WWII and profited from it? Because there were you know. Some of them were pharmeceutical companies.
  12. SpiderFox53

SpiderFox53 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Re: OT: Giants and Jets consider naming rights of stadium to company tied to Nazis

Does this mean that every German company that was in business during WWII and supplied any form of support the the Third Reich is now off limits from doing business in America?

How long do the descendants have to pay for the sins of the ancestors?

NOTE: I am in no way defending what was done to the people of Jewish faith during the Holocaust, nor am I defending the people that did it.
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  13. PaulRevere

PaulRevere Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I think there are a few companies, IG Farben being one of them that need to be viewed differently. Not really sure where Allianz falls into the mix but it does not seem like the kind of publicity a NY team wants.
  14. fgssand

fgssand PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -1

#17 Jersey

I am sure this should be in political...people seem to want to forget and dare I say forgive.........NEVER.

6MM people.
  15. fourthandmiles

fourthandmiles Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

What does a concentration camp need to be insured against exactly? Really an inhumane way for a company to make money.
  16. DaBruinz

Ratings:
    +234 / 18 / -38

#50 Jersey

FGSSAND -
    It was closer to 8 million people that they were responsible for killing. However, that pales in comparison to Stalin and is dwarfed by the number of people that have had their blood shed in the name of Christianity.

Unless you've actually been to one of the concentration camp museums in Europe, you can't imagine what it was like and even going there you can't get the full grasp of it. Band of Brothers came close to it, but still fell short.

The people who were at Allianz that were responsible for the actions during WWII were held accountable and are no longer with the company and haven't been for decades. But, The company has been paying out claims since. They've had at least 2 different advisory boards that they've had to report to.

http://www.history.allianz.com/history/sp/index_en.html

Again, I don't see people holding Mercedes, BMW, Volkswagen, et al, accountable the way they want to hold Allianz. And Volkswagen got its prominence because of the Nazis.

I am surely not saying to forget what has happened. Nor am I saying to FORGIVE the people who committed the atrocities. However, I am saying that its the people who commit them and not the companies.
  17. DaBruinz

Ratings:
    +234 / 18 / -38

#50 Jersey

If we are going to start talking ethics here, we can start with some of the energy companies here in the US and what they've done with toxic materials.

Seriously, people here need to get a clue on the situation and know what they are talking about before they open their trap.

The COMPANY was not responsible for the actions. The people in the company were. Its not like the COMPANY could tell its executives it didn't want to insure them. The EXECUTIVES are the company. And the executives of Allianz, who were responsible for the actions, have been dealt with. And Allianz, as a company, decided that to make things "right".
  18. DaBruinz

Ratings:
    +234 / 18 / -38

#50 Jersey

The only reason it is negative publicity is because of people like Mark Levenson. People who NEED something to complain about because they have miserable lives and feel the need to make others miserable.

The fact is that the people who made the decisions at Allianz from 1933-1945 are no long with that company. Another fact is that Allianz has taken a moral obligation to correct any wrongs that were committed by those people. They've paid out hundred of millions of dollars in claims relating to the war.

People need to realize that they don't have to forgive or forget to move on. However, they do need to realize when penalties have been given, restitution paid, and where the blame lies. And that is what isn't happening.
  19. Palm Beach Pats Fan

Palm Beach Pats Fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

#93 Jersey

My boss, who is Jewish, says he will never buy a Mercedes Benz becuase they profited from being a preferred supplier of vehicles to the Nazis. I guess the same could probably be said for almost any other German company in existance then and still around now.

My dad is a WWII vet and feels the same way (or even worse) about Mitsubishi, who of course manufactured the infamous Japanese Zero, used in kamakaze bombings.

I guess I can fault either one- I didn't suffer from losing ancestors to Hitler's brutality or watch fellow soldiers die in kamakaze attacks.
  20. Grizzafted

Grizzafted Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

It's not a matter of boycotting German companies. It's actually simple. I would most definitely not want the New England Patriots to play football in a stadium that bears the name of a company that put an insurance policy on Auschwitz. That's all. Agree to disagree.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.