PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Official 2021 Tompa Bay Gronkaneers Thread

Brady was playing with a torn MCL last year but somehow he’ll be worse this year. Ok?
He didn't have a full off-season either like he did this year and his GM returned all his starters for him and added a stud pass catching RB and another speedy rookie receiver.

Right now Albert Breer is on Zolak and Bertrand and he’s going over the Bucs preseason right now and going into deep detail just how intricate Brady’s involvement is in EVERYTHING. That he’s essentially a 2nd coach who is setting the entire environment of everything and though not being a GM is called by the front office asking him to help recruit people they’re into. It’s Brady’s team.

Also 27 members of the Bucs see Alex in some capacity now lmao.

Who do you guys see having a better record? Bucs or Queefs

Who do you guys see having a better record? Bucs or Queefs
It could be either. Both have the potential to go undefeated. Both have the potential to have surprisingly bad seasons.

It could be either. Both have the potential to go undefeated. Both have the potential to have surprisingly bad seasons.

I mean, yeah, but you could as easily say both have an equal chance of their team bus going off a cliff.

Following up the above, I think people often forget what they want to forget. Prior to the Super Bowl, literally no NFL defense had ever held Mahomes to under 10 points. So the idea that we should be expecting some big fall for the Chiefs, or even much of a small one, when Hill/Kelce/Mahomes is still a healthy core, is almost certainly a pipe dream

Right now Albert Breer is on Zolak and Bertrand and he’s going over the Bucs preseason right now and going into deep detail just how intricate Brady’s involvement is in EVERYTHING. That he’s essentially a 2nd coach who is setting the entire environment of everything and though not being a GM is called by the front office asking him to help recruit people they’re into. It’s Brady’s team.

This could have and should have been us if Bill was not so ridiculously married to his philosophy. Brady should have had this role with us back in 2015. It was his team anyways but Bill still thought it was his system and culture. Such a travesty. I am happy Brady did finally get this opportunity though to really show his full breath of influence.

Following up the above, I think people often forget what they want to forget. Prior to the Super Bowl, literally no NFL defense had ever held Mahomes to under 10 points. So the idea that we should be expecting some big fall for the Chiefs, or even much of a small one, when Hill/Kelce/Mahomes is still a healthy core, is almost certainly a pipe dream
It's a good point and you may be right but that type of loss leaves a deep psychological mark. It takes real fortitude to swallow that and come out swinging. I have no doubt Mahomes has that in him BUT Kelce? Hill? Matthieu? I have my doubts and there is always Andy Reid at the end to screw everything up.

It's a good point and you may be right but that type of loss leaves a deep psychological mark. It takes real fortitude to swallow that and come out swinging. I have no doubt Mahomes has that in him BUT Kelce? Hill? Matthieu? I have my doubts and there is always Andy Reid at the end to screw everything up.
Tom Brady is the only reason (you get my point) that Patrick Mahomes doesn't have 3 SB wins in 4 years. Literally nobody else has been able to stop him in the playoffs. Mahomes is also 38-8 in the regular season.

So, sure, the Chiefs might have a big fall. Barring injury to one or more of the big 3, the current state of evidence runs strongly against that being a likely outcome, though.

Tom Brady is the only reason (you get my point) that Patrick Mahomes doesn't have 3 SB wins in 4 years. Literally nobody else has been able to stop him in the playoffs. Mahomes is also 38-8 in the regular season.

So, sure, the Chiefs might have a big fall. Barring injury to one or more of the big 3, the current state of evidence runs strongly against that being a likely outcome, though.
I don't think they have a big fall off. I just have my doubts that they make it back to the Super Bowl. Much depends on how the Bills and Browns look and if the Chargers take a step forward with Herbert. There is also a surprise team or two always mixed in too.

If the Chiefs don’t get the 1 seed they’ll have to play 3 games to get to the SB for the first time including potentially some on the road which is quite a difference.

Bucs.

I know this sounds funny to say about a team that won 14 games, but last years Chiefs team was the worst 14-2 team I've seen along with the 2009 Colts. They both had the DVOA, SRS, and point differential of an 11-5/12-4 team.

It was an interesting paradox...were they a great team that knows how to win because of veteran leadership/coaching/quarterbacking, or were they really very lucky?

I think the answer is probably in between. They were actually 14-1 with Mahomes, and I think it's fair to just say they were a 15-1 team by record. From that standpoint, absolutely they were well short of a typical 15-win team, which would put them in historically great territory. I think that team was probably more like a typical 13-3 squad...they were one notch above your typical 12-4 serious contender...due to the consistent "turn on the jets when needed" stuff from Mahomes during the regular season. I have noticed teams with Brady, Manning, Mahomes, etc. tend to consistenly finish better in W/L than their point differential would predict.

But their flaws are pretty significant, too, and I'm shocked that they didn't address their defense much this offseason. For much of 2020, their offense was fine and Mahomes was protected as needed. The problem was always on the other side of the ball, and the Super Bowl merely caused an overreaction to injuries/perfect storm issues with the line. They didn't need to go out and spend that huge money on Thuney and (soon to be) Brown.

Their offense can maybe go from being an A- to an A through all that extra money spent...you know, a team that averaged 30 ppg now averaging 32 ppg. Their defense is probably a C-...they had a lot more room to go up with extra additions. The team borrowed even more future cap space (Mahomes contract) for, what I think, is somewhat of a nonsensical upgrade driven by the classic "how dare you let the superstar QB down!" types of pressures.

I think they're in that typical 12-win (or maybe now it's 13-4) range of serious contenders, but no longer better than the other best AFC teams. I look at that defense - player for player - and I'm shocked at how vulnerable it is. And the lack of depth everywhere from a superstar strategy is alarming. If healthy, I think they'll be in the AFCCG; if they lose Kelce, Hill, Matheiu, or Jones, I don't think they'll get there. Especially Mathieu and Jones.

I don't think they have a big fall off. I just have my doubts that they make it back to the Super Bowl. Much depends on how the Bills and Browns look and if the Chargers take a step forward with Herbert. There is also a surprise team or two always mixed in too.
Ok, and you may be right (Bills/Browns), but the question at hand was better record, not better playoff success, and that's what I was posting about. Sorry for the confusion.

Well this is only smart by the worst franchise in NFL history.

Now instead of being called the Suckaneers, they have sold out every home game, play in primetime and should be heavily favored to repeat as SB champions.

They aren't for some reason. I already placed by bets for Brady MVP and Bucs SB when Brady was 20/1 and Bucs 10/1. 2nd year in Arians system is traditionally much better than year 1, add full offseason, integrated AB, no MCL injury and that they face the worst QB slate in the NFL and they should roll to a repeat.

The only thing I hate about it except the Patriots not winning is that they will call Arians a HOF coach and some genius.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back