PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Official 2020 Tompa Bay Gronkaneers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
No reason to think there won’t be, what with 3 vaccines claiming enough success to be manufactured.
It's not going to be a quick process to roll it out to everyone. And not everyone will want to take it. I doubt we'll see full stadiums in the NFL again for a while.

Also think we'll see "health passes" or some kind of proof of vaccination or immunity required to enter an NFL stadium. I think they're a bad idea but they're coming.

Last edited:
Or decide that only certain QBs are worthy of your respect after the game. He did shake hands with Brees after the Bucs were blown out.
I guess he used to respect Goff when he beat him in Super Bowl and they shook hands, but apparently he doesn’t respect Goff anymore.

Super Bowl 50 - Panthers vs. Broncos | NFL Full Game - YouTube

2:32:10

Cam had a lot more reason to be frustrated and upset with this performance than Brady did last night and and yet he still went looking for Fivehead after the game and congratulated him.

The "Brady is frustrated" excuse is not a good one for why you didn't shake the other guy's hand. Tom is better than that or at least I'd like to think so.

He is a terrible sportsman. Heck, Russell Wilson shook his hand after throwing the most devastating pick of his life and even told him "keep going man. I love how you play." Also, he didn't bother to shake Eli's hand before SB 42 when Eli offered a handshake and proceeded to get his *** whooped.

• Winner
Reactions: sb1
He is a terrible sportsman. Heck, Russell Wilson shook his hand after throwing the most devastating pick of his life and even told him "keep going man. I love how you play." Also, he didn't bother to shake Eli's hand before SB 42 when Eli offered a handshake and proceeded to get his *** whooped.
That must have been really tough for Wilson - the loss was pretty much on his one mistake. And he still was man enough to do it and not storm off the field.

Brady unfortunately is not that well liked a QB with the casual sports fan - just look at social media gloating last night - and I think this kind of thing is one of the biggest reasons why.

I agree, TB is a poor loser. Is he different from Jordan and Woods?

I agree, TB is a poor loser. Is he different from Jordan and Woods?

Actually Jordan shook hands with his hated rivals after losing. You can still be uber competitive and be a “good sport”. Pistons didnt shake his hand when they finally lost to Bulls.

As he watched Thomas’ explanation, Jordan shook his head mockingly and dismissively. Jordan then reflected on his behavior when the Pistons beat the Bulls in three consecutive playoffs (1988-90), including the East finals in 1989 and 1990.

"All you have to do is go back to us losing in Game 7. I shook everybody’s hands," Jordan said. "Two years in a row, we shook their hands when they beat us. There was a certain respect to the game that we paid to them. That’s sportsmanship, no matter how much it hurts. Believe me, it hurt."

I agree. Brady has always thrived with play action. It’s when he is at his best. Run the ball, force the LB to go down in the box with play action and hit the open receiver in the middle of field.

Brady, this year, throws 39.36 passes by games on average.
Yup and if you can't establish the run very well then teams with great pass rushes will tee off on the QB and not have to worry about the run threat. They're basically the complete opposite of us right now. With a banged up OL it's going to be a problem for them.

Actually Jordan shook hands with his hated rivals after losing. You can still be uber competitive and be a “good sport”. Pistons didnt shake his hand when they finally lost to Bulls.

As he watched Thomas’ explanation, Jordan shook his head mockingly and dismissively. Jordan then reflected on his behavior when the Pistons beat the Bulls in three consecutive playoffs (1988-90), including the East finals in 1989 and 1990.

"All you have to do is go back to us losing in Game 7. I shook everybody’s hands," Jordan said. "Two years in a row, we shook their hands when they beat us. There was a certain respect to the game that we paid to them. That’s sportsmanship, no matter how much it hurts. Believe me, it hurt."
I didn't know that, but that's how it should be. Tom sets a chitty example walking off without shaking hands.

Many reasons to think there might not be tix available, but I'll put myself in the hopeful optimist camp for next year.

1) I hope but don't know that the optimistic but carefully lawyered press releases are as optimistic as they feel after nine months of thinking it might be years...

2) There are known downsides to the first-to-market vaccine regarding logistics around the temperature; the second to market apparently plugged the virus into some fatty substance that helps beat that, leaving less major concerns in implementation... so I hope that's good...

3) At least the first, and I believe both no. 1 and no. 2, are two-shot vaccines; it's really important to emphasize the importance of getting both shots.

4) we're in the midst of a 2-month safety testing period on them... and what happens in months 3-infinity is not yet known, of course. We're rolling the dice on that because of exigency, you have to remember. That's not a slam-dunk of "oh no we'll never make it it'll never work." It just means exactly what it means. This is fast-tracking a normally slower process. It's not slower b/c people usually LIKE not having access to a vaccine; it's usually slower because of the effect that a bad vaccine can have, both on the individuals affected directly, and on public trust in the vaccine.

Finally,

5) Assuming these are all just great flawless vaccines... the first polio vaccines (2 different ones) were tried in 1935, and abandoned because competitors said they killed children. Interestingly, the net outcome was that it was effective, but the vaccines themselves were blamed for the deaths that did happen. The Salk vaccine was introduced in 1952 and in 1955 mass vaccination campaigns were launched. As far as funding and backing goes, you might remember that the March of Dimes was entirely polio-specific for decades. I don't know where we are with compulsory immunization these days, after the anti-vaxxer movement... but when I was a kid every school child had to be immunized.

After all that, Polio was only finally eradicated in the Americas in 1994.

It's a big psychological break to say we have promising vaccines and we got them fast. Hopefully, the politics around good public health measures will change; if not, getting an R0 under the value of 1 is doubtful (i.e., stopping the spread because you spread on average to fewer people with each contact).

Do we have the will to mandate compliance anymore? And/or, are we suddenly finished with politicizing vaccines?

Just sayin', we not at eradication. We're at press releases. We're at a very hopeful point in the story right now with good headlines.

Will this virus be eradicated by fall of 21? I'll hope for it but I sure won't plan on it. You have to realize we have 11 million cases. The vaccines are not cures. The 11 million is likely an undercount, and that total is growing fast again.

So the main reason that tix might not be available is that we have not beaten the coronavirus pandemic in America. This isn't Australia or NZ, where we can go all red alert at an isolated outbreak and be past the danger.

I can't stress this part enough: One of the worst mistakes we can make would be to use the excuse that a vaccine will soon be available to act recklessly. I don't know whether the positive vaccine news is influencing the reckless behavior that we do see around TG. It's probably good that there's about a month between TG and the winter holidays, so we can see the results. But we seem to be largely result-proof these days.

OTOH, what better way than a contagious virus in a naive population to celebrate the colonization of the Americas?

Okay, so that's why tix availability isn't a slam dunk. Like I said, cautiously optimistic.

How about that Brady double-pass though, that was something.
Tl;dr

It's not going to be a quick process to roll it out to everyone. And not everyone will want to take it. I doubt we'll see full stadiums in the NFL again for a while.

Also think we'll see "health passes" or some kind of proof of vaccination or immunity required to enter an NFL stadium. I think they're a bad idea but they're coming.
Also - MA is still being cautious and not allowing fans in stadiums while other states are. Gillette will be one of the last stadiums in the country to be full imo.

It's not going to be a quick process to roll it out to everyone.
No **** but the start of the regular season is 10 months away, so there’s a lot of time between now and then.
And not everyone will want to take it. I doubt we'll see full stadiums in the NFL again for a while.
It’s true not everyone is going to want to take it, but that’s an ongoing situation. If we wait to open stadiums until everyone has taken it, then the stadiums will literally never open.

You can’t make business decisions based on the notion that some people refuse to take the vaccine. Otherwise those people will hold your business hostage permanently.
Maybe... there’s definitely pros and cons....

Not only that, after the game, he said "WE have to play better." As the leader of the team, you have to take the blame yourself, especially after playing so awful. The guys in the lockerroom can't be happy hearing that.

It's funny how predictable this thread has been, depending upon Brady's performance.

The 2020 Bucs and Pats are perfect examples of what I've been saying. Coaches don't win games, players do. Coaches can only lose them.

The Bucs have oodles of talent, but because of the poor coaching they're doing okay but worse than many predicted. On the other hand, the Pats have less talent but a great HC and are sub-500.

It takes players to win. Below average coaches can still win but not without top players. The examples of that are endless.

Could the reasons for the Bucs primetime struggles be that the games are past Brady’s bed time? He is a 43 year old man after all

I have said this before and got killed for it but over the last month it is becoming more apparent. Brady has lost a step. I thought that was apparent last year too. No shame in saying that about a 43 year old QB. I wasn't suckered into him having a couple elite games this mid-season because that what aging players do - show flashes of his former self but cannot do it consistently.

The good news for Tampa is a Brady losing a step is still better than like 25-27 starting QBs in the NFL, but he is no longer elite. He can play elite at times, but not consistently.

And yes, Leftwich is no McDaniels and Arians is no Belichick, but Brady would have been crap last night for McDaniels and Belichick. The difference would have been that McDaniels and Belichick would have hid Brady's deficiencies last night as best they could while Leftwich and Arians exploited them.

The Bucs have oodles of talent, but because of the poor coaching they're doing okay but worse than many predicted. On the other hand, the Pats have less talent but a great HC and are sub-500.
It's the coach's fault Teflon Tompa is dropping the ball into the opponents' mitts at an accelerated rate vs quality opponents?

Brady had 6 games of under 7.0 Average Air Years Gained Per Attempt last year in the regular season, Patriots were 5-2 in those, the 2 losses were ratbirds and the Chiefs***

Brady this year in games where he has been under 7.0 is 1-4

Also through 11 games last year he had 6 games of over 7.0 AAY/G. Through 11 games this year he has 6.

So much for TeH WeApOnZ

*** I mean refs f**ked the Pats no question about it. Should have been a win, nuts and bolts screwed in that one

Last edited:
Could the reasons for the Bucs primetime struggles be that the games are past Brady’s bed time? He is a 43 year old man after all

they practiced at night last week. so guess it didn't help

Brady had 6 games of under 7.0 Average Air Years Gained Per Attempt last year in the regular season, Patriots were 5-2 in those, the 2 losses were ratbirds and the Chiefs***

Brady this year in games where he has been under 7.0 is 1-4

So much for TeH WeApOnZ

*** I mean refs f**ked the Pats no question about it.
Lol I don't know what you're even arguing here? The refs are costing our 4-6 team games? Take off the footie pajamas.

That Bears loss is coming back to haunt them. That was a game they never should have lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back