PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: NFL Football versus Futball

Status
Not open for further replies.
I despite soccer, but I think the thing I hate the most about it is how most of it's followers act like it's such a wonderful, sophisticated game and constantly talk about how superior it is to other sports. I hate soccer snobs basically.

You got hooked on soccer watching that snoozefest? Can you explain to me what the "strategies" are in soccer, especially since they lead to so few goals?

Strategies you ask? You mean like the many formations from the original 2-3-5, to the traditional 4-4-2, Brazil's revolutionay 4-2-4 the modern 4-2-3-1 to Holland's total football 4-3-3, 5-3-2, 4-1-4-1, 3-5-2 etc etc etc.

Or how about style of football? You have the two extremes of the Tika Taka slick passing Football of Barcelona where all players are technically proficient and the formation is incredibly fluid to the physical kick them off the pitch style of English football in the past, and still used by teams like Blackburn today, which involves an extremely fit team with a rigid formation. And everything in between. You have the fast counter attacking style of Manchester United, the Cantenaccio defence of Italy, the short passing game in Spain, route one football etc etc.

And then in game you have so much going on off the ball, Centre forwards running in to channels, trying to beat the offside trap with a perfectly timed run coupled with a perfectly timed pass from a midfielder. You have full backs making overlapping runs past wingers, the positioning of centre back pairings, man marking or zonal marking. And then you have all the different styles of each position. A Target man forward is completely different and requires a completely different style of football to a poacher, or a fast striker, or an all round striker, or a trequartista. You have defensive full backs or attacking wing backs. You have holding midfielders, defensive midfielders, box to box midfielders, attacking midfielders, deep lying playmakers.

I could go on and on, but i wont. Just because you are ignorant of the strategy of a sport, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I know nothing about baseball, yet i am aware there is probably lots of strategy involved even though i have no idea what that is.

I despite soccer, but I think the thing I hate the most about it is how most of it's followers act like it's such a wonderful, sophisticated game and constantly talk about how superior it is to other sports. I hate soccer snobs basically.

How ironic, given that this thread is completely the opposite of that. Who is constantly saying its a better sport? I am professing my love for both sports, yet you are the one acting like one is superior to the other. Perhaps you are a football snob?

Last edited:

I am like Rossmci90 , i love both sports.

This is a great goal, watch and learn Ryan:
YouTube - best soccer goal ever!!

I was in Florence the night Barcelona and Inter Milan played in the European Cup Semi's. After leaving a restaurant and walkin back to my hotel I passed a bar and heard yelling. Going inside the place was packed with Italian fans screaming for an Inter win; (they did). The passion there was certainly no less than any Pats game I've been to .
BTW: When Bayern Munich won the other Semi...the Hofbrahus's were giving out free beer!!! :eek:

Football vs. Futball

I'm so pumped for the season! Jonesing for some NFL action, I tried really, really hard to get into the World Cup this year, only to be both angered and saddened at the same time. I decided it was more exciting to put on the auto-refresh and just watch profootballtalk.com for several hours. Here's my comparison between the two sports, for those who don't know much about either and are looking to choose one...

That is a lot of text! Do you write similarly huge posts on other forums about things you don't like that have nothing to do with the focus of those forums?

Do you go to automotive forums and post about how much better you think cars are than skateboards, or go to photography forums and talk about how much better you think photos are than jazz records?

That is a lot of text! Do you write similarly huge posts on other forums about things you don't like that have nothing to do with the focus of those forums?

Do you go to automotive forums and post about how much better you think cars are than skateboards, or go to photography forums and talk about how much better you think photos are than jazz records?

No. Do you like to click on posts that you already know you're not going to like, just to get attention?

I'm a fast typist. I literally wrote that in under 20 minutes and enjoyed it. Why else would I post something if I didn't enjoy writing it?

Last edited:
Strategies you ask? You mean like the many formations from the original 2-3-5, to the traditional 4-4-2, Brazil's revolutionay 4-2-4 the modern 4-2-3-1 to Holland's total football 4-3-3, 5-3-2, 4-1-4-1, 3-5-2 etc etc etc.

Or how about style of football? You have the two extremes of the Tika Taka slick passing Football of Barcelona where all players are technically proficient and the formation is incredibly fluid to the physical kick them off the pitch style of English football in the past, and still used by teams like Blackburn today, which involves an extremely fit team with a rigid formation. And everything in between. You have the fast counter attacking style of Manchester United, the Cantenaccio defence of Italy, the short passing game in Spain, route one football etc etc.

And then in game you have so much going on off the ball, Centre forwards running in to channels, trying to beat the offside trap with a perfectly timed run coupled with a perfectly timed pass from a midfielder. You have full backs making overlapping runs past wingers, the positioning of centre back pairings, man marking or zonal marking. And then you have all the different styles of each position. A Target man forward is completely different and requires a completely different style of football to a poacher, or a fast striker, or an all round striker, or a trequartista. You have defensive full backs or attacking wing backs. You have holding midfielders, defensive midfielders, box to box midfielders, attacking midfielders, deep lying playmakers.

I could go on and on, but i wont. Just because you are ignorant of the strategy of a sport, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I know nothing about baseball, yet i am aware there is probably lots of strategy involved even though i have no idea what that is.

How ironic, given that this thread is completely the opposite of that. Who is constantly saying its a better sport? I am professing my love for both sports, yet you are the one acting like one is superior to the other. Perhaps you are a football snob?

Soccer Stragedy

A bunch effeminate euros pretending to be hurt and crying like little girls.

Soccer is so f***ing gay!

Americans really don't know what they're talking about. Really.
There's no strategy in football? Go see hockey(total mess), and worse, baseball.
If it's so boring, why does an NFL game takes 3 hours, when there's only 60 minutes of game? There's more stops than game, it's awful.

Go see hockey(total mess), and worse, baseball.

Oops, there goes the moral high ground. Also, the Canadians will be after you now.

If it's so boring, why does an NFL game takes 3 hours, when there's only 60 minutes of game? There's more stops than game, it's awful.

Advertising $$$. Sunday consists of watching commercials with some football in between.

Some of you need to lighten up a bit. If someone on a European football forum posted something pointing out some of the "gay" aspects of American football, or how boring it is to watch if you don't know all the strategy, and did it in a humorous way like the OP did, it would hardly be cause for an angst-ridden meltdown for me.

That being said, to me it's not about how passionate the fans are about a sport that matters--think about the skinhead lager louts of Europe causing riots, Columbians who murder their goalkeeper after an own goal (now that's fandom for you :rolleyes:); hell, in Finland, they're passionate about ice fishing. Although I've played organized soccer, I don't pretend to know much about it's complexities, nor its cultural or nationalistic appeal. I just know that, much like baseball, it is (strategy and all) pretty inherently boring compared to football, unless there's a Super Bowl-like world title on the line. And the way some of the players act like drama queens on phantom fouls truly is "gay"--not that there's anything wrong with that.

Oops, there goes the moral high ground. Also, the Canadians will be after you now.

Advertising $$$. Sunday consists of watching commercials with some football in between.

Really, is there a strategy in hockey?

And you're mentioning advertising like if it is a good thing.

Soccer Stragedy

A bunch effeminate euros pretending to be hurt and crying like little girls.

Soccer is so f***ing gay!

OMG! You mean to tell me that every other sport players don't try to call fouls/penalties on their favor. I am truly shocked.

Some of you need to lighten up a bit. If someone on a European football forum posted something pointing out some of the "gay" aspects of American football, or how boring it is to watch if you don't know all the strategy, and did it in a humorous way like the OP did, it would hardly be cause for an angst-ridden meltdown for me.

That's not true at all really, i am a regular on a 'Soccer' forum (14,000 posts) and we have had people banned for trolling in the NFL section. The thing that most sensible people do is, if they don't like a sport they just don't talk about it. Especially when their comments usually show how extremely ignorant they are of the sport.

Soccer is good... training for other sports.

My kids play soccer. I enjoy watching them do anything. Can't stand to watch the sport in on TV, though. I don't mind playing it, but I love playing any sport.

That's not true at all really, i am a regular on a 'Soccer' forum (14,000 posts) and we have had people banned for trolling in the NFL section. The thing that most sensible people do is, if they don't like a sport they just don't talk about it. Especially when their comments usually show how extremely ignorant they are of the sport.

Well said.

And to whomever scoffed at it, there is plenty of strategy in hockey. Here's a website to get you started. New Page 2

I love them both, but as far as the stadium atmosphere comment goes, American football stadiums don't come anywhere near close to the atmosphere of the big clubs in Europe. It's more than a game, which is why ultras exist, something the US doesn't have and hopefully never has.

Well said.

And to whomever scoffed at it, there is plenty of strategy in hockey. Here's a website to get you started. New Page 2

Cool, hockey fan in Tampa eh?

In the post-Devils era, the left wing has become more of a thinking man's position. Glad I play right wing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back