PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Like father - like son. Guess what Jerry Sandusky's son is charged with?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the psychological or social reason that people need to blame and punish?

Someone who molests a child is a bad personal regardless of whatever excuses you want to give.

Reasons and excuses are very different.
I'm interested in understanding, carefully and thoroughly, before attempting to influence public policy.

Reasons and excuses are very different.
I'm interested in understanding, carefully and thoroughly, before attempting to influence public policy.
I'm not. Molest a child and you should no longer be around children. No exceptions.

If you don't understand it is ridiculous to blame "surroundings" for what jerry Sandusky did to dozens of children, words fail me.

The topic of this off-topic thread is Jeffrey Sandusky. The statistics about victims of child molestation being far more likely to molest children than members of the general population, which began this page-long comment chain, pertain to him, not Jerry.

There may be a reason for someone becoming an abuser, but that doesn't mean that it is an excuse.

What they certainly need is mental help, to help break the cycle

So psychopaths aren't bad people, they only need mental help? What constitutes a bad person if every bad act is excused by "mental issues" or upbringing?

Do you work for my HMO? You're stamping this big red "Bad Person" label on every post like its some way to deny a costly medical procedure.

"I'm sorry sir, you have been denied coverage to get mental help, to help break the cycle... we've determined you are a pre-existing Bad Person, and Bad People are ineligible to receive any mental health treatment."

Already being a child molester is actually a very good reason for someone to receive treatment aimed at stopping them from molesting children.

Last edited:
This is incorrect. I do not remember the exact percentage, and keep in mind many survivors do not come forward, and don't quote me but it's something like 90% of abusers have been abused themselves but only 10% of survivors go on to become abusers.

Assuming that 10% figure is significantly higher than the rate of child abusers in the general population, it could actually support the point you're quoting.

Assuming that 10% figure is significantly higher than the rate of child abusers in the general population, it could actually support the point you're quoting.

The post I was quoting used the word "often". 10% or whatever the low percentage may be doesn't qualify that word.

All I can say is Jerry Sandusky's scandal was definitely discussed a lot back when it happened. Not to justify it, but it happened. And it cost Penn State nearly a quarter billion dollars and an incalculable amount of respect.

All I can say is Jerry Sandusky's scandal was definitely discussed a lot back when it happened. Not to justify it, but it happened. And it cost Penn State nearly a quarter billion dollars and an incalculable amount of respect.
Not saying it shouldn't be discussed, just preferably not here. It's disturbing and depressing from pretty much every angle. The Pub Forum would be a better place for it.

How many draft pickso does PSU lose for this scandal?

This is incorrect. I do not remember the exact percentage, and keep in mind many survivors do not come forward, and don't quote me but it's something like 90% of abusers have been abused themselves but only 10% of survivors go on to become abusers.

That's a high percentage. At any rate I think we can agree Sandusky can suck it, and if you sexually abuse your kids you f'ing suck and throw away the damned key.

I don't even know what a "bad person" is in this context. Everyone who commits some kind of crime is a combination of brain matter they were born with and life circumstances that shaped that brain matter. For us to imply that sexual predators simply lack some kind of moral grounding, or just aren't trying hard enough to be "good people", is a bizarre position to take. The ones who have come forward to speak openly about what its like have said it is like a horrific itch that is as predictable to them as the sun coming up in the morning. How would we even begin to measure how hard someone is trying, or if they are a "good person" or a "bad person" under those circumstances?

Dude listen to yourself. You are empathizing with child molestors, and in a way that would absolve them of any responsibility. If it were murder would you be giving this fatalistic spin telling us that it was a combination of brain matter and life circumstances, that it is bizarre to get moralistic because they have a horrific itch to kill? I'm perfectly fine holding them responsible and saying they are monsters. Otherwise we end up with Clarence Darrow defending "poor ****y Loeb" the cold blooded calculating murderer, because of the "infinite forces that conspired to form him." Sorry, but down that road lies chaos.

Closing Argument of Clarence Darrow in the Leopld & Loeb Case

Sure, try to help them. In jail where they belong.

I'm not. Molest a child and you should no longer be around children. No exceptions.

I don't even think you should be on this Earth. There is no curing that. Put them down like the animals they are. They do the planet no good.

The topic of this off-topic thread is Jeffrey Sandusky. The statistics about victims of child molestation being far more likely to molest children than members of the general population, which began this page-long comment chain, pertain to him, not Jerry.

Do you work for my HMO? You're stamping this big red "Bad Person" label on every post like its some way to deny a costly medical procedure.

"I'm sorry sir, you have been denied coverage to get mental help, to help break the cycle... we've determined you are a pre-existing Bad Person, and Bad People are ineligible to receive any mental health treatment."

Already being a child molester is actually a very good reason for someone to receive treatment aimed at stopping them from molesting children.
When did I say dint treat them?
But the important thing is not allowing them near children whether that means life in prison or some other means.
Fixing them is the least of my concerns. Preventing them and keeping them away from children is the priority. Let them get whatever psychotherapy they want in a jail cell.

I would be for life inprisonment for child molestors. And none of this letting them out because a psychiatrist theorizes they are cured

I don't even think you should be on this Earth. There is no curing that. Put them down like the animals they are. They do the planet no good.
Life in prison may be a harsher and more appropriate penalty.

Life in prison may be a harsher and more appropriate penalty.

If it was that harsh, we would hear more about them offing themselves in prison. Sadly, many of them get moved to solitary or restrictive housing, like his dad did, when they get in.

If it was that harsh, we would hear more about them offing themselves in prison. Sadly, many of them get moved to solitary or restrictive housing, like his dad did, when they get in.
or throw them in Gen Pop and let the animals takecare of them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday