PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Jets coach on sidelines trips opposing player

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a feeling that, like the Favre-Sterger thing, this is going to be swept under the carpet; dragged out for so long that people will forget about it.

I really hope I'm wrong. I really do, but I don't think so.

It all depends on how the press handles it. If it makes a lot of news outlets, it will go somewhere.

I don't doubt that when 'spygate' stories we're coming out that many pats haters were calling in favors with every reporter they had ever met. I don't think it was a coincidence that Specter got involved. He didn't come up with that himself, someone called in a chip for that too.

If enough of a stink is made, it can't be swept off. Maybe mail what you guys have found here off to BSMW, deadspin, huffington or something?

Last edited:
I have no problem with them all lined up like ducks. They are all off the field of play and it's the gunners job to get back inside the field of play as quickly as possible.

I do however have an issue with one of them bending a knee into the players thigh. Had that not happened, the player would have safely made it back onto the field and gone on. This isn't about 6 guys standing in a line, it's about intentionally attempting to injure the guy by tripping him.

... and if the gunner had been pushed out of bounds into the line, and they didn't move, then what? One or more injuries could have happened - you're OK with that?

The NFL flags guys who run out of bounds too far - they had already done it once in that game. There's really no place for the Jets' idea of vigilante enforcement of the rules.

I've got a feeling that, like the Favre-Sterger thing, this is going to be swept under the carpet; dragged out for so long that people will forget about it.

I really hope I'm wrong. I really do, but I don't think so.

The Favre-Sterger thing hasn't been swept under the rug. She's trying to get the NFL to pay her off for being quiet. Its not working.

As soon as she actually talks she has no more leverage and can't make any money.

Last edited:
The Favre-Sterger thing hasn't been swept under the rug. She's trying to get the NFL to pay her off for being quiet. Its not working.

As soon as she actually talks she has no more leverage and can't make any money.
Sounds like it is not money that she is looking for. However thanks to the NFL dragging it's feet, Favre obviously not returning (finally) next year and now his injury sidelining him, there's not much need for the NFL to do anything.

Sterger manager comments on NFL investigation into Brett Favre - Dan Patrick.com

Jenn Sterger's public relations manager Phil Reese joined the show to explain what they want from the Brett Favre investigation. Here are some of things he had to say:

-- Reese wants the NFL to act immediately. Dan asked if the NFL suspended Favre, would Sterger drop the whole thing. "If the commissioner suspends Favre and puts a program in place to prevent it from happening again ... 100 percent, Jenn would not pursue any litigation against Favre, against the Jets, against the NFL. Nothing. All she wants to do is clear her name. This is not about money," Reese said.

-- Reese said that he talked to Brett Favre's agent Bus Cook just before the story broke on Deadspin. "He asked me is there a specific figure that you had in mind to make this go away," Reese said.

Granted that is only one side of the story, but if they were simply trying to cash in I'm not sure why they would make that comment.

Last edited:
At first I was thinking you may have something but ...

1. Rex is looking towards scrimmage line, towards the punter. As soon as ball is
snapped guys are racing down the field but he is still looking for the punt
to happen. Why wouldn't he? Suppose it was fumbled? He is looking at
where the ball is.

2. When Rex said he didn't see it happen he was probably right. There
were 6 guys between him and the incident obscuring a direct line of
sight to where the incident happened.

I HATE the Jets .. but I don't buy this conspiracy theory .

0:15-0:24 Rex Ryan (bottom half) walks over from right/behind to left and stands over Nolan

Freeze the frame at 0:29 of the video - Ryan looking directly at and down at Carroll

Another at 0:45-47 of Ryan looking directly at and following Nolan.

*****Now, put it together with, after the game, Ryan telling the press he had no knowledge of what happened with Carroll and you have something mighty unbelievable there.

Why do you think he is watching the side line. Why not looking over his
guys on the sideline to try and see the punter? Could you see his eye balls?

You mean the HEAD COACH OF THE NY JETS was politely standing behind the lowly assistants and quietly trying to look THROUGH and AROUND them to see what is happening on the field?????

Wow, that is one really egalitarian coach!

As far as lining up the coaches, if the Pats did it we would be calling Belichick a genius. I have no problem with the Jets* lining up their coaches in a legal area to block gunners from having a clear path. Where they stepped over the line from gamesmanship to cheating was when the coach stuck out his knee to trip the player. The question is was he instructed to do something like this or did he just act in the spur of the moment.

*Caught Cheating

As far as lining up the coaches, if the Pats did it we would be calling Belichick a genius. I have no problem with the Jets* lining up their coaches in a legal area to block gunners from having a clear path. Where they stepped over the line from gamesmanship to cheating was when the coach stuck out his knee to trip the player. The question is was he instructed to do something like this or did he just act in the spur of the moment.

*Caught Cheating

The coaches are supposed to avoid players who inadvertently go out of bounds. So lining them up there and telling them to stand their ground is against the rules.

*Caught Cheating

Wait...are you sure the Jesters had their coaches lined up in that manner? I thought those were PS players who are NOT suppposed to be in that area reserved for coaches and substitute players only.

*Caught Cheating

According to the link in the other thread about this subject, only substitution players are allowed in that area, not practise squad players.

The coaches are supposed to avoid players who inadvertently go out of bounds. So lining them up there and telling them to stand their ground is against the rules.

That is a gray area. How can you tell whether a coach is aware of a player going out of bounds. Also, gunners do not inadvertently go out of bounds, they purposefully go out of bounds which is legal as long as they are not the first one to touch the ball after it is kicked off.

Wait...are you sure the Jesters had their coaches lined up in that manner? I thought those were PS players who are NOT suppposed to be in that area reserved for coaches and substitute players only.

I don't know. According to PFT, the league say the rules are really vague on this. Granted they probably don't want to make this into a big thing and it isn't just to protect the Jets*.

*Caught Cheating

Last edited:
That is a gray area. How can you tell whether a coach is aware of a player going out of bounds. Also, gunners do not inadvertently go out of bounds, they purposefully go out of bounds which is legal as long as they are not the first one to touch the ball after it is kicked off.

When hes looking directly at him.

The coaches aren't allowed to touch a player. its covered specifically in the "palpably unfair" part of the rulebook. It specifically mentions coaches and substitutes affecting plays.

The player was doing something legal. The coaches were trying to impede him. Thats not legal. There's no gray area.

I'm unclear on the supposed penalty for this incident. It sounds like the Jets imposed this $25k penalty/suspension, but the articles indicate it was imposed after discussions with NFL officials. Does that mean case closed on this, or is the NFL investigation still supposedly in play?

Last edited:

That was my first thought when I saw this - -those look like inactive players to me.

"Coverup, folks, get yer fresh coverup....!"

As Sal Alosi tripping incident comes to close, Jets, family look to move on | NJ.com

League not investigating whether Alosi alignment was coached | PFT

"In this regard, the league could be implementing one of the lessons learned in Spygate — that the Patriots possibly weren’t the only team videotaping defensive coaching signals. Indeed, why haven’t the Dolphins complained about the possibility that the Alosi alignment was coached? It could be that the Dolphins either do the same thing now, or that the Dolphins did it when Jets special-teams coordinator Mike Westhoff worked in Miami from 1986 through 2000."

Gee, Mike Florio, I anm SO glad the league learned that AFTER they smeared our team and franchise with mud that will never come off. Good thing this lesson will now save the Jets from being investigated!

Last edited by a moderator:
DIdn't see this mentioned here; sorry if it was already:

Zach Thomas alleges Sal Alosi under orders - AFC East Blog - ESPN

"They had to be ordered to stand there because they're foot to foot," Thomas said. "There's four of them, side to side -- five of them, I mean -- on the edge of the coach's zone. They're only out there to restrict the space of the gunner, who is Nolan Carroll.

"But there's more to it because I'm telling you, the only thing [Alosi] did wrong was intentionally put that knee out there. If he just stood there, there would never have been a problem, even if the guy got tripped. But there's more to this. He was ordered to stand there. No one is foot to foot on the sideline in the coach's box."

When hes looking directly at him.

The coaches aren't allowed to touch a player. its covered specifically in the "palpably unfair" part of the rulebook. It specifically mentions coaches and substitutes affecting plays.

The player was doing something legal. The coaches were trying to impede him. Thats not legal. There's no gray area.

I am saying what Alosi did was cheating. Standing in a line on the sidelines is not. It is impossible to prove in most cases that a coach is not doing everything in his power to avoid touching or impeding the path of the player unless they do something as incredibly stupid as Alosi did.

Belichick did something a few years back where he blocked Marvin Harrison from getting back on the field. He made it look like he was trying to get out his way, but it also seemed he was trying to impede his ability to get back on the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes