PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Jack Del Rio out in Jacksonville

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finding a replacement with a winning NFL record will be hard. Finding a replacement will not be.

Jacksonville is the perfect backwater for a "Patriots of the South":

Eric Manbooblia comes to mind immediately. He's tanned, he's rested and he knows how to lose and get fired with undying gratitude for having been given the opportunity. Charlie Weis won't even have to re-register his car or get a new driver's license. Josh McDaniels is perfect if the plan is to fully dismantle the franchise and make awkward draft choices. Romeo Crennel would love to get back to the East Coast although he looked comfortable on the KC sideline.

A bold move might be to hire Julian Edelman as HC/GM which we know he could do while returning punts, playing the dime back and wide receiver for the Patriots, and hitting on hot chicks in Jacksonville and Boston night clubs.

And drive the team bus.

Besides being a crap coach, the only thing I'll remember Del Rio for is wearing the suit on the sidelines for a few games.

Florida has no state income tax. Florida and Georgia are adding new residents everyday as people flee the tyranny of the North (Thanks for your House Seat Mass. loses US House seat, political clout). The Jags are trying to get a foothold in coastal Georgia, which is a growing and affleunt area (just as Ben Affleck, he lives there).

You're actually going to compare that to the economic demo of LA/Orange County????

Yeah, that franchise is just reeling in the big bucks!!!! Jacksonville has proved it's bush league non-competitiveness as an NFL market for 16 years to everyone.

Seriously, you're joking, right Ted?

Last edited:
I remember reading on NFL.com a few years ago about Jacksonvilles ticket problem. They have the smallest market/metropolitan area and one of the biggest stadiums capacity(77k if I recall). It was something like 1 out of 9 residents of jville needed to attend the game to sell it out. It was the equivalent of Gillette stadium having like 400k seats to be sold out every Sunday. Then add in the 2 other teams in the same state and it makes it that much more difficult for the Jaguars to sell out.

and yes, all these numbers are wrong and were pulled from the bottom of the old memory barrel. :)

Last edited:
I remember reading on NFL.com a few years ago about Jacksonvilles ticket problem. They have the smallest market/metropolitan area and one of the biggest stadiums capacity(77k if I recall). It was something like 1 out of 9 residents of jville needed to attend the game to sell it out. It was the equivalent of Gillette stadium having like 400k seats to be sold out every Sunday. Then add in the 2 other teams in the same state and it makes it that much more difficult for the Jaguars to sell out.

Where were the other proposed teams based when the NFL expanded?

Were there not teams from locations that didn't have two other teams in the state?

:( I wish I could've seen him do the Shooter McGavin gun salute on the sidelines just once before this happened

and yes, all these numbers are wrong and were pulled from the bottom of the old memory barrel. :)

Jacksonville is the largest city in Florida population wise within the city limits. Jacksonville has a small small downtown, and last I heard only 5000 people actually live in what's considered downtown. The city sports over 1 million residents within the city limits, however it also takes me 40 minutes to get to the Westside of it ( I live on the beach side )

The largest problem Jacksonville faces is simply a non-competitive team. The Jacksonville Sharks ( Arean Football Team ) Sells out a lot of games, and of all the AFL teams, it's the most popular in the nation. Why? Becuase Jacksonville Craves a competitive team.

3 Major reasons the Jags have a Fan problem.

1) They stink, there is literally no talent, no super star, nothing to look at and say one day they will be great. Some solid players on defense, but in all skill positions, there is nothing. Some might say "What about MJD!", Well that may have worked 5 years ago, MJD has been the sole name for eons, and people are no longer excited about a guy who accounts for 50% of the offense and rarely if ever does anything exciting with the ball. ( He's no CJ2K )

2) The Gators have been so successful. Tim Tebow is God around here, and not drafting him was the biggest mistake from a business perspective anyone could have ever made. So what if he isn't Manning, he gets the fan base to buy into the Jags, because everyone here who needs to Choose between a Gators Ticket, and a Jags ticket, is picking the Gators every time ( even though its a long ass haul to Gainsville from here ) With the additional revenue, the Jags would be more competitive in Free Agency, and therefore drive even more fans to the games. The Jags are so non-competitive in ALL aspects of NFL team management, that the Fans aren't interested. The Jags have a boring coach, never sign any big names, and seem to draft the most low key drafts every year ( they have some good players, but no sizzle )

Wayne Weaver just sold the Team, so hopefully the new owner is interested in driving the business forward, not holding on to one of the worst coaches simply because he was cheap. The entire management and running of the Jags has been to spend as little as possible and some how get more fans... Failed ownership, and with the local college team so good, Locally, it makes the Jags look even worse.

3) Snowbirds, and transplants - I have lived here for 8 years now, and I know of 3 people who are native to Jacksonville, or surrounding areas. So many people already have their favorite teams. The Sport bars around the city are CRAMMED on Sundays, everyone trying to watch their team.

What makes everything worse is this should have been the Jags year to be in the playoffs with the Colts finally being a non-factor, and the Texans and all their injuries. The Jags picked the Worse year to dump their Veteran QB in favor for a Rookie which had no training camp. This year would have been the easiest year to make the playoffs in recent history for the Jags, and in typical fashion, they figured out a way to turn an opportunity for something positive into a negative.

Why did they drop Gerard? Because he was Due a roster bonus of 5 mil. Granted he wasn't worth that, but how much is a playoff entrance worth? Or a Division title worth?

---

Overall, there is a chance all of that changes with the Gators having a really down year, and the Jags changing up the Coaching and ownership.

Last edited:
I think snowbirds and transplants is a huge part of the problem. Can you turn them intermittently and fill seats by winning? Yeah, but unless you win consistently fairweather entertainment fans aren't the kind of base an owner can count/bank on.

They'll end up in LA or playing more and more and eventually all their home games in London. Weaver swore a month ago and many times before that the team was not for sale. There is no clause in the contract prohibiting Khan from moving the team to wherever it is financially best for he and his new 31 partners (NFL owners). He bought the JAGS because he wasn't able to buy the Rams. Had another team become available first he'd have bought them if he could... He just wants to own an NFL team, and having achieved that lifelong dream his new goal will be to build it into a winner on and off the field. If he cannot figure out a way to do that in Jacksonville, FLA he will take the team to wherever he thinks he can at least make it a resounding financial success.

Snowbird problem probably a factor in Tamper as well. They never sell out and get blacked out on TV time and again. Now if this gives me a Pats game on TV in Dec when I'm south of Tampa I won't complain. Then again, the Bucs are on Fox.

New coach, new ownership....look for the best available defensive coach to get hired. Rob Ryan wouldn't be a surprise. The logical choice then to build immediate interest in the team both locally and nationally is to trade Gabbert for Tebow.

...The largest problem Jacksonville faces is simply a non-competitive team...

Jacksonville also is limited by regional population. While the city itself if the largest in the country, that's because of the consolidation with the county. There's not a significant bump when you add the surrounding areas.

For example:

Jacksonville city population - 821,784
Jacksonville metropolitan population - 1,313,228

Orlando city population - 238,300
Orlando metropolitan population - 2,134,411

Tampa city population - 335,709
Tampa/St. Pete metropolitan area - 4,228,855

The third Florida football team would have probably been more successful in Orlando, but having Tampa so near is problematic when it comes to protecting regions for teams.

Jacksonville also is limited by regional population. While the city itself if the largest in the country, that's because of the consolidation with the county. There's not a significant bump when you add the surrounding areas.

For example:

Jacksonville city population - 821,784
Jacksonville metropolitan population - 1,313,228

Orlando city population - 238,300
Orlando metropolitan population - 2,134,411

Tampa city population - 335,709
Tampa/St. Pete metropolitan area - 4,228,855

The third Florida football team would have probably been more successful in Orlando, but having Tampa so near is problematic when it comes to protecting regions for teams.

The origional idea was Orlando/Atlantic Coast was suppose to part of the territory. Football is easier for travel than other sports. I lived in Nashville when the Titans moved and they marketed the team in Memphis as if that region was integral.

This sounds like a marketing problem.

Florida is not a pro sports state...never has been..never will be

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand