PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT - Franco Harris - Passes away at the age of 72

My earliest memory of him is from the playoffs for the 1976 season. As we were playing the Raiders, the Steelers lost both Harris and Rocky Blier in the other game, meaning that the winner of the Pats game had an almost sure thing for the AFC title game. After the Dreith theft vs the Pats that team ended up being Oakland, who went on to crush the NFC team.

RIP Franco.

RIP, great player, came across like a good dude too. I remember watching the Immaculate Reception as it happened, what a crazy way to end a playoff game.

Funny that Harris was primarily a blocking back at Penn State, but when he did get carries he was pretty effective. He and Lydell Mitchell were quite a combination. They led Penn State to beat Texas in the Cotton Bowl which was a huge upset. That really got Paterno on the map which almost resulted in him coaching … the Patriots … until he probably realized that working for Billy Sullivan usually didn’t work out well.

I wonder why so many of the 1970s Steelers players died at a relatively young age :whistle:

RIP Franco Harris. In a 13 year career he had eight 1000 rushing yd seasons, the last of them in year 12. Harris amassed over 14k yards from scrimmage during his career.

The guy was an absolute stud

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back