PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Foxsports rips Sanchez

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's better than people are saying. He's led many 4th qtr comebacks with complete a**luck, and backed into 2 AFCC games in 2 years. He's very mobile, can throw on the run. I think he's a good QB and dangerous opponent.

More accurate, I think.

Sanchez is a very young QB who entered the NFL with much less game experience than most, and was then thrown into the fire in a big way. (Remember all of the embarrassingly public "leadership lessons"?)

It's worth remembering that Ryan Fitzpatrick, who has been rightly referred to in this thread as the best QB in New York State, is in his seventh season in the league...and last year was the first time he threw more touchdowns than interceptions.

Sanchez is a very young QB who entered the NFL with much less game experience than most, and was then thrown into the fire in a big way. (Remember all of the embarrassingly public "leadership lessons"?)

It's worth remembering that Ryan Fitzpatrick, who has been rightly referred to in this thread as the best QB in New York State, is in his seventh season in the league...and last year was the first time he threw more touchdowns than interceptions.

Fitzpatrick was also drafted in the seventh and was never heralded as the savior of a big market NFL team.

Last edited:
Fitzpatrick was also drafted in the seventh and was never heralded as the savior of a big market NFL team.

Sure...but what conclusions do you want us to draw from that? Was that a positive because it gave him more freedom to learn (and suck) with less pressure, or a negative because he didn't get the opportunities and patience afforded to a guy like Sanchez?

Patience is running thin in New York. especially being a top 5 pick, that puts a lot of pressure on Sanchez to succeed. Being 'average' is just not good enough to meet expectations. and I think hes actually slightly below average overall. Sanchez is the 'Laurence Maroney' of the Jets right now except they moved up to get him which makes it sting even worse. They can only prey that he doesn't turn into 'Vernon Gholston'.

If you're going to compare him to Fitzpatrick, let's look at some more of the data. Fitzpatrick has only 5 more regular season starts than Sanchez for his NFL career and, if you count the postseason, he's actually got one fewer start under his belt than does the "sanchize". He had amassed 23 starts prior to the season where he threw for more TDs than INTs. Sanchez had amassed 16 regular season, and 3 postseason (19 total), starts prior to the first season where he threw for more TDs than INTs.

It's not as if Fitzpatrick has played on good teams, either. Whether he's been the team's starter, or just a backup, he's not been on a team that was any better than .500. I think the comparisons can be made, and the differences need to be noted, but I'm not sure that Sanchez comes out particularly favorably even with the added data.

Chad Henne and Mark Sanchez have both started 36 career regular season games.

Henne 75.7QBR, 60.7%, 7114 yards, 31TD, 37INT, 7.8 YPA
Sanch 71.9QBR, 54.7%, 6906 yards, 37TD, 38INT, 6.6 YPA

The talent surrounding Sanchez on both sides of the ball is better but especially on offense. The line, receivers and running backs all are better on the Jets. Yet everybody has wanted Henne's head and Sanchez gets a bye due to the NY media hype machine.

If you're going to compare him to Fitzpatrick, let's look at some more of the data. Fitzpatrick has only 5 more regular season starts than Sanchez for his NFL career and, if you count the postseason, he's actually got one fewer start under his belt than does the "sanchize". He had amassed 23 starts prior to the season where he threw for more TDs than INTs. Sanchez had amassed 16 regular season, and 3 postseason (19 total), starts prior to the first season where he threw for more TDs than INTs.

Those are some creative stats you've worked up there. I don't think I've ever seen somebody try to argue that a QB is successful based on the number of games with more TDs than INTs in the individual game! (Are you arguing that it's better for your INTs to be distributed 3,0,0,3,0,0 instead of 1,1,1,1,1,1?)

Regardless, I think you were misinterpreting my intent. I wasn't trying to defend Sanchez so much as offer an "he is what he is." He's very young (24), inexperienced, and inconsistent. The fact that he's a 3rd-year starter who lead his team to playoff wins the past 2 years quite naturally leads everyone to underestimate that.

You mention how Fitzpatrick has started relatively few games despite being in his 7th season. Absolutely -- that's because he didn't play terribly well when given starting opportunities. If you're a 7th-round pick, that's what happens: you play badly, you sit and LEARN, as you should. But when you're a high first-round pick, dubbed the Sanchize by your coach before you've done squat, you just keep starting regardless.

I can't help but wonder what kind of QB Sanchez would be if he'd spent at least a season apprenticing to a solid veteran.

Last edited:
Fitzpatrick has one glaring advantage over Sanchez - he can decipher a defense and audible to a new play.

Funny thing, those Wonderlic scores.

Last edited:
I've only read the title and I'm already lovin' it! "Sanchez dragging Jets down with him." :D

Fitzpatrick has one glaring advantage over Sanchez - he can decipher a defense and audible to a new play.

Funny thing, those Wonderlic scores.

He also throws the ball accurately. Doesn't matter how well you can read a defense if you can't put the ball in the right place, and Sanchez is pretty bad at that.

Those are some creative stats you've worked up there. I don't think I've ever seen somebody try to argue that a QB is successful based on the number of games with more TDs than INTs in the individual game! (Are you arguing that it's better for your INTs to be distributed 3,0,0,3,0,0 instead of 1,1,1,1,1,1?)

Regardless, I think you were misinterpreting my intent. I wasn't trying to defend Sanchez so much as offer an "he is what he is." He's very young (24), inexperienced, and inconsistent. The fact that he's a 3rd-year starter who lead his team to playoff wins the past 2 years quite naturally leads everyone to underestimate that.

You mention how Fitzpatrick has started relatively few games despite being in his 7th season. Absolutely -- that's because he didn't play terribly well when given starting opportunities. If you're a 7th-round pick, that's what happens: you play badly, you sit and LEARN, as you should. But when you're a high first-round pick, dubbed the Sanchize by your coach before you've done squat, you just keep starting regardless.

I can't help but wonder what kind of QB Sanchez would be if he'd spent at least a season apprenticing to a solid veteran.

My apologies, since my post was poorly enough written that you thought I was arguing with you, and that was not the intent. I wasn't arguing anything. I just went to Fitzpatrick's data and noticed how close the two were in overall games played. I found it interesting that Sanchez has basically the same number of games under his belt, and decided to post the breakdown based upon your line of discussion (TD/INT), but looking at it in terms of games instead of years. It gives us more data, but it's certainly not going to give us anything definitive.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes