Welcome to PatsFans.com

OT: Dungy whining about Jests No Huddle (merged)

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by T-ShirtDynasty, Oct 2, 2006.

1. T-ShirtDynasty

T-ShirtDynasty Moderator

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061002/SPORTS03/610020364/1100

Now, refresh my memory... I coulda sworn that according to Dolts fans, only the slimy Patriots fake injuries to stop the clock, right? I have a feeling we won't be hearing the hue and cry from Indy like we did over Willie McG's injury timeout.

Didn't get to see much of the game, anybody know why Dungy would claim the Jesters weren't following the rules on their no huddle? What is he confused about, any guesses?

2. PatsFan37

PatsFan37 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -1

#37 Jersey

Re: OT: Dungy whining about Jests No Huddle

From Bob Kravitz's report card.

Don't worry, the local media isn't letting him get away with this.

3. The Gr8est

The Gr8est In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +29 / 1 / -0

"We've got some bad rules that either I don't understand or. . . ,'' he said without finishing his thought. "We've been running the no-huddle for a long time and we've been informed of the rules. I guess I've done a bad job of understanding what they are. We'll leave it at that.''

Translation: "As soon as we figure out just what we object to we'll be getting the rule changed in the off-season"

Last edited: Oct 2, 2006
  4. workhorse

workhorse Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

The item in question was that the refs have stopped the clock for injuries, but did not when Hayden was hurt. Hayden made a "rookie" mistake. He tried to get off the field, he was limping and not able to make it. The coaching staff yelled at him to just go down to the ground, but by that time the Colts had to burn a time out, I think it was their last one. I think Dungy's remarks refer to the fact that sometime the refs will stop the clock when a player is hurt and sometimes don't. I don't think that Hayden was faking an injury, I think he was cramping. And as everyone here on this board knows, after a time out any player can come back from an injury. The reason I say I don't think he was faking an injury is that the entire Colts secondary was already out for the game, one more injury and Gramatika was going to have to line up in the nickle. I think Tony was mad about the gray area for official injury time outs AND the fact Hayden force them to burn one by trying to get off the field.

5. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +447 / 4 / -1

#75 Jersey

boo - hoo- hoo!

Doesn't Dungy know his place? It's Polians job whine about the rules and get them changed in the Colts favor.

6. Bella*chick

Bella*chick Addicted to the light

Ratings:
    +251 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

"Some bad rules I don't understand"?

I see....so because he doesn't understand them they must be bad.

The whole quote is reminiscent of "I'm trying to be a good teammate here....."with a trail off that leaves no doubt as to what you are implying.

7. SVN

SVN Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +1,706 / 14 / -10

just imagine if they had lost the game...

8. T-ShirtDynasty

T-ShirtDynasty Moderator

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Ahh, thanks for the input. It's not really a gray area though, is it? I mean he's got to be down for an officials time out, and from what you say, he didn't go down. That's on him, not the Refs. No?

9. dhamz

dhamz In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

They were supposed to stop the clock because a guy limped back to the huddle? Seriously?

10. SVN

SVN Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +1,706 / 14 / -10

to be honest i have not seen one season when the colts havent complained about rules...somehow only their coaches and players arent aware of the rules among 32 teams..to me this is just lack of preparation ironically by the team with the most prepared QB.....suck it up and play...

11. BradfordPatsFan

BradfordPatsFan In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Didn't he flip when they tried to run a direct snap to the rb out of the shotgun while Payton was moving along the line of scrimmage in the 04 playoff game? The rule was explained to him and he said he didn't understand it.

I love it when coaches don't know what the hell they are talking about. I have said for years, that coaches in all sports at all levels from high school on up should be forced to attend the officiating meetings when they take their refresher exams and explain each rule. It would save a whole lot of complaining and make them look a little less foolish.

12. SVN

SVN Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +1,706 / 14 / -10

not being a homer but BB has the rules down by the book ..i have noticed in his press conferences he is so sure abt what the rules are ..thats the diff...

13. SVN

SVN Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +1,706 / 14 / -10

just saw this on the colts board
    http://www2.indystar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165028&page=3
    "OK, Polian just explained it on the radio.

He told a story last year when we were getting opponents faking injuries. Almost 20 years ago in 1987 there was a team running no huddle, and their opponents started to drop fake injuries all over every game to substitute players. The commissioner at the time was very angry about this and sent out an edict that this was to stop and he outlined new rules to deal with this.

Well aparently 20 years later those rules are not actually 'rules', but the league has been operating as such. They will have to sort this all out.....
    "
    whatever that means...

it was abt time polian showed up...its the 4th game already of the season ;)

14. workhorse

workhorse Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I guess I was incorrect with my thoughts about the injury timeout, though Hayden should have just gone down. He wasn't trying to go to the huddle dhamz, he was trying to run off the field. The question surrounds substitutions. If the offense subs, they have to allow the defense to sub outside of the final 2 minutes of a half. I know this issue has been raised with the Colts running the no huddle, so that's why Tony was questioning the rules

15. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,994 / 26 / -17

Disable Jersey

Tony questions a lot of things. Football is a mystery to him.

16. FloridaPatsFan

FloridaPatsFan Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hey Workhorse....from our perspective, and we will begrudgingly admit it, Peyton runs the no-huddle better than anyone in the league. But its a lot easier for him, because he can just look at the defensive positioning and call a play that he thinks will work....a lot harder than it looks if you ask me. But he has made every team in the AFC (or NFL for that matter) burn a thousand timeouts because of wrong players for down/yardages over the years.

For Dungy to complain about it (and I've met Dungy, he's a standup good guy), is not going to win him any sympathy from the rest of league. It does make him sound like he's whining about a taste of his own medicine. But make no mistake about Pennington....the guy is in the NFL because he is a lot smarter than most...not because he has a rocket/rifle arm. We are all Jet haters here and again, we will begrudgingly admit that Pennington is good.

But thanks for trying to explain it.

17. SVN

SVN Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +1,706 / 14 / -10

all the rules and discussions can be summed up by 1 cliched sentence...
    "it is what it is" ..just $%% play

18. dhamz

dhamz In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

That isn't what the announcers said about the play. Since I didn't see what he did, I'm simply going by what they said he did.

19. Return of the Nizz

Return of the Nizz Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

what dungy should be trying to figure out is how he's handed the best offense in football, which with Moore and Manning around he has no say in (including apparently when to punt), is supposedly a defensive coach, and has done nothing in 4 years to improve that D.

or why the Bucs won it all the year after he left. or why Borges, one of the dumbest humans on the planet, thinks he's a better coach than BB.

These are the things he should be pondering.

20. lobster

lobster On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I didn't watch the game, but based on the quote that "Pennington ran his at a quicker pace, and made it hard for the Colts to substitute", the applicable rule is this:
    "With the exception of the last two minutes of either half, the offensive team, while in the process of substitution or simulated substitution, is prohibited from rushing quickly to the line and snapping the ball with the obvious attempt to cause a defensive foul; i.e., too many men on the field."

Note however if the Jets were using the no-huddle and Dungy was trying to substitute when the Jets were not, then that is NOT an application of the rule.