PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT- DL Muhammad Wilkerson?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uptown

Standin' Pat
Reaction score
Just a thought, but do you guys think BB would consider bringing in Wilkerson (if he could somehow be had for “cheaper”). I’m hearing he may be cut this offseason. I know he’s been playing poorly/ unmotivated lately, but he was a beast just 2 seasons ago (maybe just for his contract year). Maybe BB sticks it to the Jets by taking one of their best players & whipping him into shape. I actually liked MW coming out of Temple & during his time under Rex. If motivated, he could potentially start to play like his old self. I think he’d be a great addition to our interior DL. Not exactly sure how the economic part would work out since he recently signed a
5yr- $86M deal. Anyway, what are your thoughts???

Latest On Jets' Muhammad Wilkerson

Last edited:
I don't think he was ever a beast. Just a good disruptive player, when motivated. Risk not worth reward in my opinion.

9M dead money vs. 20M cap hit in 2018 is actually worth considering for the Jetes since he is virtually untradable (unless they go Assweiler HOU-CLE deal).

On the market Id guess there are plenty richer suitors before it comes to NE even if BB sees a reclamation in the snooze..

He would significantly improve the D. Please sign him BB!!

He would significantly improve the D. Please sign him BB!!

I think the jets are just gonna make him a healthy scratch the rest of the way and cut him in the offseason. And honestly I don’t see BB putting up with this guys issues of continuously missing/being late to team meetings.

Sure but nowhere close to that money as he has not performed to justify it.

Not hard to upgrade this DL. I'm for it.

Loved him coming out of Temple. I actually expected us to take him at the end of the first. Now, I don’t know. He’s overpaid and is a malcontent. The money would have to be right, as always.

Not sure how he would fit the Pats Economic System, as he seems too rich for out blood.. this is the kind of deal the Jets would make.

Muhammad Wilkerson

Muhammad Wilkerson signed a 5 year, $86,000,000 contract with the New York Jets, including a $15,000,000 signing bonus, $53,500,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $17,200,000. In 2017, Wilkerson will earn a base salary of $14,750,000 and a workout bonus of $250,000, while carrying a cap hit of $18,000,000 and a dead cap value of $27,000,000.

I don't think he was ever a beast. Just a good disruptive player, when motivated. Risk not worth reward in my opinion.
He was All-Pro twice. He was a beast.

Not sure how he would fit the Pats Economic System, as he seems too rich for out blood.. this is the kind of deal the Jets would make.

Muhammad Wilkerson

He is the kind of player the Pats draft, use when he is cheap and then let go to his big contract. Or get after he flames out somewhere on a prove-it type of 1 year deal.

That's what usually happens after a player signs a mega deal on a ****ty team - they become complacent.

Lawrence Guy is pretty much the same size player as Wilkerson and he plays a similar DE/DT role. Guy doesn't have Wilkerson's 3.5 sacks this season, but he does have the same number of tackles. Guy's cap hit next season is $3.1M.

Not saying that Guy is, or could be, what Wilkerson has shown he can be when motivated, but he's still been solid enough, and doesn't cost very much.

That said, the DL certainly seems like it could be improved with another (younger) body who can perform better than the (soon to be) 33-year-old Branch has performed this season (assuming that Branch isn't willing or able to rebound next season). Doesn't need to be a "star" or even potential star, just a solid player who can pick up enough of the slack to allow the others like Guy, Brown, Butler and Valentine to to their jobs better.

That seems very likely to be able to be accomplished at far less money than what Wilkerson is likely to get somewhere else.

Not a lot of 6'4"+/~320+ guys who are scheduled to be available in free agency in 2018 who seem all that exciting to me at the moment (although there will likely be other cuts), even as a solid plugger. OTOH, Branch himself was an older, sorta "reclamation project" type when he was signed.

I'd guess there's likely to be a draftee, though not necessarily a first or second day pick.

I don’t know. He has lots of talent but he is being benched on the JEST team so something must offf.

One of the most hot & cold players in the league. Notorious for taking plays off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes