PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Did Peyton's jealousy of Tom cost Colts the game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGodInAGreyHoodie

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
As we are all aware the two QB's that are most often compared as being the best in the league are Tom Brady and Peyton Manning.

This year Brady's broke Peyton's record for the most TDs. And it did appear that at times late in the season that Brady was forcing the ball to Moss so Moss would break his record.

On Saturday night Tom Brady set a record for highest % of completions in any regular or post season game. Although a QB's goal is always to complete all their passes, this record was broken because Jax in an effort to prevent the deep ball, would leave short routes open, and the short passing game was the best way to win.

On Sunday, Peyton Manning played a short yard passing game starting the game 14 for 14. And for a while appeared to be on the way to break Tom's record the day after he set it. However, the Bolts adjusted to Manning's style of play resulting incomplete passes and interceptions.

As we are all aware the two QB's that are most often compared as being the best in the league are Tom Brady and Peyton Manning.

This year Brady's broke Peyton's record for the most TDs. And it did appear that at times late in the season that Brady was forcing the ball to Moss so Moss would break his record.

On Saturday night Tom Brady set a record for highest % of completions in any regular or post season game. Although a QB's goal is always to complete all their passes, this record was broken because Jax in an effort to prevent the deep ball, would leave short routes open, and the short passing game was the best way to win.

On Sunday, Peyton Manning played a short yard passing game starting the game 14 for 14. And for a while appeared to be on the way to break Tom's record the day after he set it. However, the Bolts adjusted to Manning's style of play resulting incomplete passes and interceptions.

I highly doubt that Tom Brady's performance had any effect on how Peyton Manning played against the Chargers. I'm actually as close to certain as I can get without being inside Peyton Manning's head.

1.) Peyton, is not, and has not, been jealous of Tom Brady's current assault on NFL stats. He's a Pro, this stats stuff goes with the territory. Nice but none ever seem to last forever.

2.) It had nothing to do with his performance against the Chargers.

3.) It was what it was - - - a loss - - - game over - - - done for the season. Root for and support Eli.

4.) The only stat Peyton now cares about is totally his to control and it should be his for all time. For sheer volume of, appearance in, and money earned on commercial endorsements he stands head and shoulders above Tom Brady and any other past or present NFL player. He is the Man!?!? No one will ever be able to top him in this aspect. My hat is off to him, he's the all time champ. :rolleyes:

The Chargers and Jags are similar defenses (big guys who are about strength over speed), and the strength of the Colts and strength of the Pats are at QB (throwing to receivers). It's understandable that the games would be similar. I also think that Addai not being as fresh as Maroney meant that the Colts didn't have the same options on offense as the Pats did.

I highly doubt that Tom Brady's performance had any effect on how Peyton Manning played against the Chargers. I'm actually as close to certain as I can get without being inside Peyton Manning's head.

Soon to theatres: BEING PEYTON MANNING

You know, with the little elevator? The something-and-a-half floor?

Anyone?

1.) For sheer volume of, appearance in, and money earned on commercial endorsements he stands head and shoulders above Tom Brady and any other past or present NFL player. He is the Man!?!? No one will ever be able to top him in this aspect. My hat is off to him, he's the all time champ. :rolleyes:

A year back it had been reported that Brady turns down the overwhelming number of commercial offers made to him.

I would say after seeing the OREO commercial, that I would have a hard time believing Manning has ever said no to a commercial.

On a side note I think Manning is pretty funny, my favorite line being the "rub some dirt in it"

No...but Joseph Addai breaking down over the course of the year/lack of running game on Sunday combined with a hideous defense combined with two catches their receivers should have made cost the Colts.

No. The Colts lost the game because of red zone interceptions, which can only be short passing and because Harrison fumbled. One was clearly not his fault (it was lucky/his RB). Had they scored on any of those drives, they win.

Even if we said that being more conservative in the passing game was the cause, we don't have any real reason to believe it had anything to do with Brady's completion %.

Last edited:
1.) Peyton, is not, and has not, been jealous of Tom Brady's current assault on NFL stats. He's a Pro, this stats stuff goes with the territory. Nice but none ever seem to last forever.

2.) It had nothing to do with his performance against the Chargers.

3.) It was what it was - - - a loss - - - game over - - - done for the season. Root for and support Eli.

4.) The only stat Peyton now cares about is totally his to control and it should be his for all time. For sheer volume of, appearance in, and money earned on commercial endorsements he stands head and shoulders above Tom Brady and any other past or present NFL player. He is the Man!?!? No one will ever be able to top him in this aspect. My hat is off to him, he's the all time champ. :rolleyes:

Brady earns a very similiar amount as Manning in advertising, but Brady chooses to work with upscale brands while Manning will stick his horsehead in front of any product on the market for relative chump change compared to what Brady earns per endorsement.

Brady earns a very similiar amount as Manning in advertising, but Brady chooses to work with upscale brands while Manning will stick his horsehead in front of any product on the market for relative chump change compared to what Brady earns per endorsement.

Since when is $5 a bottle cologne upscale?

The problem was not early in the game when Peyton was completing short passes. The problem was that the Colts figured they could win the game the same way as the AFCC last year. They went to Addai 6 straight plays for 7 total yards on the last 2 drives.

You pass for over 400 yards yet can score with a 1st and goal from the 9 and can't get a 1st down on the last drive down by 4...all with your season (and defending your title) on the line. You don't need to look any deeper than that.

As an aside...has there been any greater irony that Clark drops the crucial 4th down pass after the entire world has been force-fed that Sprint commercial for months? I think there were 5 youtube parodies online before the game was over.

This gets my vote for the most homerish thread of the day.:D

I highly doubt Manning was concerned with that record and I agree, that stuff is basically "Old Spice".

Manning didn't play a bad game at all. He made a couple of bad decisions but Indy's defense let them down.

For the question in the thread title... no, not even close.

As for the Manning-Brady commercialization, well...

Manning sells humor and folksiness. Pep talks, cut that meat, etc.

Brady sells sex. Stetson, cologne, SmartWater.

They appeal to different demographics, but I'm sure both rake in more money than any of us can dream about, and that's before you even take into account their NFL salaries.

By the by, Randy Moss hosting SNL if the Patriots go 19-0? Brady was pretty bad at it and already had his turn, so why not Randy? I think he'd be hilarious.

Oh goody another Colts thread!
I think Peyton won last year by forgoing the long ball and taking what the D gave him,same this year.
We as a group might not have Peyton as our fav QB,but I doubt he would do what the OP proposes.

For the question in the thread title... no, not even close.

As for the Manning-Brady commercialization, well...

Manning sells humor and folksiness. Pep talks, cut that meat, etc.

Brady sells sex. Stetson, cologne, SmartWater.

They appeal to different demographics, but I'm sure both rake in more money than any of us can dream about, and that's before you even take into account their NFL salaries.

By the by, Randy Moss hosting SNL if the Patriots go 19-0? Brady was pretty bad at it and already had his turn, so why not Randy? I think he'd be hilarious.

If you dont think this is funny, then something is wrong...

http://www.vsocial.com/video/?d=59670

The problem was not early in the game when Peyton was completing short passes. The problem was that the Colts figured they could win the game the same way as the AFCC last year. They went to Addai 6 straight plays for 7 total yards on the last 2 drives.

You pass for over 400 yards yet can score with a 1st and goal from the 9 and can't get a 1st down on the last drive down by 4...all with your season (and defending your title) on the line. You don't need to look any deeper than that.

As an aside...has there been any greater irony that Clark drops the crucial 4th down pass after the entire world has been force-fed that Sprint commercial for months? I think there were 5 youtube parodies online before the game was over.

I have only seen 2.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh3EgyfDz2Q

and

http://youtube.com/watch?v=kvXWNoxiHPY

Do you have links for the other three?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents